Memorable Meals

chara

29 minutes ago, Alex said:

A recommendation for you and others is The Sportsman in Seasalter near Whitstable in Kent, great value for a Michelin-starred pub. When I lived in London,  brilliant weekends with the wife were a couple of nights in The Hotel Continental in Whitstable overlooking those sunsets in the bay that Turner  painted. Meals were in the Sportsman, Wheelers in Whitstable, the Whitstable Oyster Company and buying seafood in the port from those stalls that serve seafood from the boats. Spent afternoons doing cultural stuff in Canterbury. The evenings always ended listening to live bands with a few pints in the Old Neptune as the sun went down.

Well well...prior to the 52 floods...look it up...my very young childhood holidays were at a "chalet" on the beach just above The Sportsman...no electricity and wonderful for my little sister and me....fresh fish from lines baited pre tide and collected as the tide receded....cockles dug up and a wonderful innocence...old type rigged fishing boats returning to Whitstable every afternoon...have a family photo somewhere...will dig it out...outside loo with an "aroma" I can still recall!

Victoria Coach Station to Faversham...seemed to take forever...great Fish and Chip shop then local bus to Seasalter....a smile as I type.

Thanks Alex...talk about sepia tinged memories!

Added,,,just seen the earlier HK post,,I remember passing Ned Kelly's bar and hearing trad jazz,,images of Mr Bilk..upon entering saw a band of very oriental musicians literally jazzing it up....memories as ever!

Edited by chara
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, chara said:

Well well...prior to the 52 floods...look it up...my very young childhood holidays were at a "chalet" on the beach just above The Sportsman...no electricity and wonderful for my little sister and me....fresh fish from lines baited pre tide and collected as the tide receded....cockles dug up and a wonderful innocence...old type rigged fishing boats returning to Whitstable every afternoon...have a family photo somewhere...will dig it out...outside loo with an "aroma" I can still recall!

Victoria Coach Station to Faversham...seemed to take forever...great Fish and Chip shop then local bus to Seasalter....a smile as I type.

Thanks Alex...talk about sepia tinged memories!

What a brilliant place to have childhood holiday memories! 

Whitstable still feels as untouched as anything can these days, compared to say Brighton ( a place I also love and lived in).