Pubs within walking distance of Stamford Bridge

Blue Moon

Mortified to find that after being closed for maybe three years, the Finborough Arms, Finborough Road, SW10 9ED is to be turned into .... an Indo-Chinese restaurant, according to the girl on the door of the Theatre last Saturday. The Theatre will remain, but heaven knows about the club downstairs. I bemoaned the lack of decent pubs in the area, although she reckoned the Troubadour on Old Brompton Road is worth a visit. The note on the door of the Finborough suggests the Pembroke, which is just up from the Troubadour. Net home match, I'll visit and post an opinion ...

After the loss of the Fox and Pheasant to James Blunt - still there, but not as attractive; the Pelican (now the Tommy Tucker - and permanently closed); and so many others, does anyone have any recommendations?

• 1 month later...

Finally got round to visiting the Troubadour and Pembroke, before the Everton match.

A nice lady at the Troubadour asked me if I’d booked a table, then suggested I sit outside in the cold when I said I’d not booked. Politely declined and will not return.

Waited to be served for 20 minutes at the Pembroke, where they had no ales and only lager or Guiness, before someone walked in off the street and got served before me. Twice. Shan’t go back there either.

Ou sont les Finboroughs d’antan?

• Angry 2