Trevoh Chalobah

JaneB

Thoughts on Trev?

Was quite impressive when he first broke through under Tuchel and then sort of tapered off through form and injuries. Hasn't really managed to hit that initial standard again but has looked better in the last few weeks. There was a couple of stories that popped up in the last day or so that mentioned we may look to cash in on a home grown player for profits sake (no transfer fee paid so all sale costs are counted as pure profit). 

I like him a squad player that's reasonably comfortable across a couple positions and in a back three or four. Don't think he'll ever be a bonafide starter but a more than ample squad player that'll be useful over the course of a season.

I think your summary is pretty much how I feel as well. I think he’s a good player to have in the squad, as long as he’s happy to play the role of ‘squad player’. If he isn’t and he wants to go off and play week in week out, then can fully appreciate that and would then be happy for us to give him that opportunity to move on.

I never expected him to break into the first team in all honesty, but he clearly works very hard and seems very humble as well. He still has a long time on his contract, so it will be interesting to see what he does.

Yeah some people have been making the point on Twitter that you could get 3-4 players on long contracts (eg Mudryk, Madueke, Gusto) whose total cost combined for a year could be offset by selling one academy player who has no book value / transfer fee to settle.

I can see why selling a Gallagher or a Chalobah would be tempting as their £40m or whatever fee goes straight into the 2023 accounts. 

Personally, I’d be looking to keep both (providing they are both happy to stay) but probably look to cash in on the likes of Hudson-Odoi, D.Sterling, Ampadu and RLC.  Doesn’t have to be those 4 specifically, you may want to add Maatsen or whoever, but makes sense if it can help keep the rebuild within FFP regs. 

46 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Yeah some people have been making the point on Twitter that you could get 3-4 players on long contracts (eg Mudryk, Madueke, Gusto) whose total cost combined for a year could be offset by selling one academy player who has no book value / transfer fee to settle.

I can see why selling a Gallagher or a Chalobah would be tempting as their £40m or whatever fee goes straight into the 2023 accounts. 

Personally, I’d be looking to keep both (providing they are both happy to stay) but probably look to cash in on the likes of Hudson-Odoi, D.Sterling, Ampadu and RLC.  Doesn’t have to be those 4 specifically, you may want to add Maatsen or whoever, but makes sense if it can help keep the rebuild within FFP regs. 

Yeah, I saw a few posts about that this morning. It’s interesting and something I hadn’t ever really thought about, but makes complete sense.

I think you’re right though, if we’re going to sell home grown players then RLC and CHO makes most sense at this point. We’d probably get reasonable money for each of them and in RLC’s case, he has no room left for much improvement anymore (plus, he loves an injury).

One of the problems we as fans have is the buying in of the "Cobham Conveyor Belt" myth.

I do it as much as anyone but when a youngster's name starts to be touted as a new STAR we tend to buy into it and stick with the prediction of a "new"..Drogba JT etc...(pick your own favourite)....the Conveyor Belt in truth churns out good future pros and the very occasional super nova player (as do other club academies but the average graduate gets to make a reasonable living in the game or becomes a good EPL player such as Ake...good but not a Foden/Reece for instance.

I believe Trev is such a player..reliable as a squad player and if at the right club a stalwart but not top drawer Chelsea.

We have youngsters out on loan learning their trade but I suspect we will not see any or maybe one/two at most of them back at SB as a long term player but will see names we recognise scattered through the game over the years.

13 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Yeah, I saw a few posts about that this morning. It’s interesting and something I hadn’t ever really thought about, but makes complete sense.

I think you’re right though, if we’re going to sell home grown players then RLC and CHO makes most sense at this point. We’d probably get reasonable money for each of them and in RLC’s case, he has no room left for much improvement anymore (plus, he loves an injury).

The hard thing with selling Loftus-Cheek or Hudson-Odoi over say a Chalobah or Gallagher is the wage disparity. The sort of clubs that would take any of these players aren't going to be able to fork out the sort of wages the likes of a Loftus-Cheek or Hudson-Odoi are currently on. Now, there's hope both would lower their wages in exchange for a fresh start and greater role elsewhere but who really knows just how much compromise they'll make. The other issue is that both are also heading into the final year of their contracts, which will diminish their likely value further. 

I do honestly hope we hang onto Chalobah and Gallagher over the other two, but I wouldn't be shocked if we did cash in on one of them because it'll be an easier deal to get done with greater financial return. 

16 hours ago, xceleryx said:

The hard thing with selling Loftus-Cheek or Hudson-Odoi over say a Chalobah or Gallagher is the wage disparity. The sort of clubs that would take any of these players aren't going to be able to fork out the sort of wages the likes of a Loftus-Cheek or Hudson-Odoi are currently on.

Exactly. In accounting terms a sale of either can be made to look good, but in actual money terms we will not be getting very much for them. Let's say Hudson-Odoi is on £120k a week. That's over £6m a year, and about £30m over a 5 year deal (obviously playing with multiple hypotheticals/unknowns here, but is a typical contract length for a player of his age). What club that doesn't have players significantly better than him is going to pony that up alongside a £20-40m fee? There aren't any. Loftus-Cheek is even worse, reportedly on more money and regularly injured.

If either are sold, it won't be for significant fees (certainly not what we'd be paying in equivalent deals) and precisely because the books need help.