Armando Broja

JaneB

Thoughts on Broja's future after all the spending that's taken place? 

With all the talk about Gallagher or Chalobah being possible sales because they're homegrown and would be considered all profit, you'd have to think Broja would also fall into this category once he's fit again.

While I do like his profile he is considerably wet behind the ears and lacking in some key areas. I know I was big on selling him in the summer with a buyback given some of the figures being branded at the time, I do wonder what value he'd have now though having had virtually a wasted season. 

From a sporting standpoint, I see him as part of the mission the club has clearly undertaken with growing and culturing a young set of players. He’s good enough to challenge, provided the injury doesn’t prove to be of permanent impact.  

From a financial standpoint, I can’t see lots of clubs taking a risk in signing at a fee he otherwise would demand (or the club rather) given this injury so likely he’s getting his chance here next season either way. 

His injury happened at the worst time for him, unfortunately.

I would guess he’ll go out on loan once he’s fit, so that Chelsea can see how he’s recovered and after that they’ll make a call long term. Personally, I don’t think he’s going to be good enough to stick around and I think we’ll eventually cash in.

36 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

His injury happened at the worst time for him, unfortunately.

I would guess he’ll go out on loan once he’s fit, so that Chelsea can see how he’s recovered and after that they’ll make a call long term. Personally, I don’t think he’s going to be good enough to stick around and I think we’ll eventually cash in.

Agree. A post-injury loan makes the most sense, which gives us the ability to see how he looks. But ultimately I see his future elsewhere, don't think he'll quite be good enough unless he has a massive developmental spike in the near future. And if D.Fofana does well in the mean time, it probably makes Broja's chances harder. 

9 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Following his injury, he'll need to get as many minutes under his belt as he can, so a loan is the obvious choice. Whether we then decide to keep or sell, it's the only decision that makes any sense. If we keep him at Cobham, he won't get as many minutes as he'll need, and his progress will be further stunted.

I was very big on selling him in the summer and with his injury it looks like an even bigger mistake not taking the money unfortunately. As others have said, we have to loan him next season, hope he gets lots of minutes and still looks a player. His physicality was his main attribute so fingers crossed he hasn't lost anything. 

I'd love him to make it here long term but I can't see him ever being more than a squad option and surely competing with D.Fofana for that privilege. 

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

Following his injury, he'll need to get as many minutes under his belt as he can, so a loan is the obvious choice. Whether we then decide to keep or sell, it's the only decision that makes any sense. If we keep him at Cobham, he won't get as many minutes as he'll need, and his progress will be further stunted.

Just now, FrankLampard8 said:

I was very big on selling him in the summer and with his injury it looks like an even bigger mistake not taking the money unfortunately. As others have said, we have to loan him next season, hope he gets lots of minutes and still looks a player. His physicality was his main attribute so fingers crossed he hasn't lost anything. 

I'd love him to make it here long term but I can't see him ever being more than a squad option and surely competing with D.Fofana for that privilege. 

I think he needs the rough and tumble of the Championship , maybe we can loan him to Everton when they get there?

On 01/02/2023 at 23:45, xceleryx said:

A lot has been covered below, but there a few points to consider:

1. He has had a bad injury, unlikely therefore to be trusted to lead the line next season

2. He will need minutes

3. Probably not sellable this summer anyway due to the above

4. Fofana II might get a few games in the run-in which may change the club's decision one way or the other

5. The one thing that does work in his favour is that we don't exactly have world class alternatives in his position.

Can see a loan to West Ham / Leeds, someone like that.