Rugby World Cup 2023

Alex

Very much looking forward to September for my next big sporting fix after the Ashes.

I'm certain the winner will come from France, Ireland, New Zealand or South Africa with France being the favourites.

There's some good warm-up games this Saturday between the Six Nations sides 

France looked very very good in the Six Nations and they're the home nation, so my money is going on them, although NZ looked to be getting back to their best in the Rugby Championship... the two meeting in the opening game is massive! Ireland would likely have been favourites 18 months or so ago, but I think they peaked slightly too soon.

England has a kind draw, so should top their pool and then beat the runner-up of Pool C (Wales or Australia) and then you're in the semis and anything can happen, although they'll be facing one of NZ, France, SA or Ireland, so it's likely to be an exit at that stage.

Can't wait!

Ireland and Leinster both have trouble against physically bigger teams. The way they kept the ball in play against France in last year's 6N was impressive and they beat SA last Autumn. But they're also strongest at home.

I think SA are a bit underrated at the moment as fourth favourites.

• Like 1

• JaneB changed the title to Rugby World Cup 2023
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2023 at 14:27, My Blood Is Blue said:

England has a kind draw, so should top their pool and then beat the runner-up of Pool C (Wales or Australia) and then you're in the semis and anything can happen, although they'll be facing one of NZ, France, SA or Ireland, so it's likely to be an exit at that stage.

I can't see them beating Argentina to be honest. The last two friendlies have been awful.

Borthwick drives me up the wall, bringing the same bland, senseless positivity to his interviews after a crap performance that he did when he was England captain. 

They just may as well not turn up to France.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I can't see them beating Argentina to be honest. The last two friendlies have been awful.

Borthwick drives me up the wall, bringing the same bland, senseless positivity to his interviews after a crap performance that he did when he was England captain. 

They just may as well not turn up to France.

Yeah, you could well be right RE Argentina. We’ve been worse than I even expected in these 2 games vs Wales and whilst I wasn’t a fan of the appointment of Borthwick, the issue is more the timing of sacking Jones, which was awful from the RFU… they left it far too late, to the point where they should have just let him see the World Cup through. A waste of 4 years.

Yep it was the timing with Jones, for sure he should have gone, but at least a year earlier. They took a punt with Borthwick who had developed a reputation as a line-out and forwards coach and then as a Premiership-winning coach of Leicester. It didn't work out and suddenly we're all transported mentally back to those dire times when Borthwick was England captain that had thankfully been deeply buried in the subconscious until now.

On 13/08/2023 at 11:03, Alex said:

And as for building his team around Captain Kick and his dangerous tackling, and Billy Vunipola who he ignored for the entire 6N...

And after building his team around them they both get themselves red cards and probable bans for the big group games against Argentina and Japan. 

I'm sure Borthwick will see plenty of positives in his shit tenure and also when we get dumped out of the World Cup early again.

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing the French snuffed out the Kiwis and in the process breaking a Kiwi record, the first time NZ has not won in a pool match.

NZ tried yet the French pressure and big hits made NZ resort to long kicks and on kicks Ramos was top drawer.

Fantastic game for the neutral. Torture for us Welsh, but we scraped a win. Would probably have been all over for us if we'd lost. We'll probably lose again to Georgia, but if we don't we'll probably pay for the 2 bonus points Fiji picked up.

Not many people can do pessimism like Wales and Chelsea supporters.

• Like 2

On 10/09/2023 at 07:22, My Blood Is Blue said:

George Ford, take a bow! I did not see that coming last night, especially after the red card, but what a performance from England! Brilliant!

Might be the bright side of Farrell not making it as rugby pundits claiming when Farrell plays Ford does not play that type of game.

Ford was superb.

Watched a bit of Scotland v South Africa and the latter just a bit too good for the Scots. 

If the French don't implode we could see SA face NZ in the Qtrs, which would be hard to call.

• Agree 1

On 09/09/2023 at 11:05, jasonb said:

Amazing the French snuffed out the Kiwis and in the process breaking a Kiwi record, the first time NZ has not won in a pool match.

NZ tried yet the French pressure and big hits made NZ resort to long kicks and on kicks Ramos was top drawer.

That France beat NZ was not a surprise at all, they've only lost once in the past two years, in the 6N to Ireland. NZ being favourites with the bookies was incomprehensible, just a lot of lazy money going down I guess as France and SA are the two teams looking most like winning it. France have a chance if they keep all their top players fit, but if there are injuries to Dupont, Danty, Alldritt, Fickou or Penaud, then there aren't world class replacements as there are in other positions.

• Agree 1

On 10/09/2023 at 07:22, My Blood Is Blue said:

George Ford, take a bow! I did not see that coming last night, especially after the red card, but what a performance from England! Brilliant!

He was brilliant, Borthwick can't drop him now, but I really hope that doesn't mean he starts playing Farrell at centre again as Manu and Marchant had decent balance (and they can tackle properly). Plus there's an argument that Ford played his best game as that's the first time he was allowed to run the show himself rather than being Faz's sidekick.

For all that England were good, Argentina were absolutely dreadful, no invention, couldn't string any phases together and create gaps.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/09/2023 at 11:14, jasonb said:

Might be the bright side of Farrell not making it as rugby pundits claiming when Farrell plays Ford does not play that type of game.

Ford was superb.

Watched a bit of Scotland v South Africa and the latter just a bit too good for the Scots. 

If the French don't implode we could see SA face NZ in the Qtrs, which would be hard to call.

SA NZ isn't hard to call. That'll be a comfortable SA win.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice result for England, finally getting some tries, although it was only Chile!

South Africa - Ireland, what a match! An absolute battle and incredible result for Ireland. Hearing the Irish fans singing along to Zombie at the end gave me goosebumps! It felt like a semi final, not a pool game.

• Like 1

That game was exhausting to watch, played at a brutal speed! I'm in France watching some games with mates, today was Scotland Tonga in Nice, saw the Dupont injury in Marseille, also brutal. Fortunately too pissed at the game today to contemplate have the Villa defeat ruin my time.

• Like 1