Chelsea qualify for the 2025 FIFA Club World Club

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/article/chelsea-set-for-fifa-club-world-cup-2025

"Chelsea set for FIFA Club World Cup 2025

Following a FIFA Council meeting today in which several key decisions were made on the future of global men’s and women’s competitions, a new format was confirmed for the FIFA Club World Cup.

The tournament, which Chelsea won in its current format last season, will from June 2025 be played every four years and will be for 32 teams.

Europe has 12 of those places, with four of them for Champions League winners in each of the four years leading up to 2025, which includes Chelsea as the 2021 winners.

Additional teams will be determined by a club ranking based on the same four-year period."

Well this is excellent. Initial rumours suggested the qualification criteria was going to be 2022-2025 CL winners, which meant we would have to rely on our European ranking to qualify, which is good enough right now but might not be good enough in a few years time.

I personally love the idea of a proper Club World Cup, played in the Summer, every 4 years, just like the International World Cup and Euros.

It will add prestige and make the Club World Cup something that will rank alongside the CL in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have read further into it, and it will be very difficult to qualify by the ranking path:

"There will be a cap of two clubs per country with the exception being if more than two teams from the same country win their confederation's premier tournament over the qualification period."

From BBC Article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64952428

Not really thought it through but first impressions are that ADDED to the present overload of "competitions" the viewing/watching options become more diluted.

When in the UK (I include Scotland) the League and FA cup were the only focus the interest was absolute regardless of tribalism and of course the early European Cup was an elite competition..hard to qualify for and brought great names and clubs into the "ordinary" fan's awareness.

The expansion of competitions, both International and Club, has gone beyond expanding horizons and has now become a puzzling absolute jigsaw of competitions...am I the only one..OG and all that...who has to check to see what the schedule at any time actually refers to?....Top Champions League whilst to my mind still THE Club competition to win in Europe has been "filled out" for the sake of ..gulp..money but  is easy enough to follow but after that we get various "Euro" International competitions and a myriad of Club competitions approaching almost the situation with regional divisions over here where nearly every club gets to the "play offs".

In all honesty any additional four year Super League imposter set up would be of interest to ?....tribalism means we as Chelsea fans (and every fan of any club)would be looking to see our individual "disliked" clubs fail rather than supporting EPL clubs because they are EPL.

As I said just initial not reasoned through thoughts but make any sense?....not to forget the increased pressure on the fitness of the players with even more games on the plate of the top players who are involved in all the competitions.

I'm in favour of this format which will now make it a proper tournament well worth winning and might one day even surpass the CL in terms of prestige.

However, there's already far too much football for the top players, so something has to give and here's a few way to help fixture congestion.

Scrap qualification for major championships for the major countries in Europe and  scrap the pointless Nations League.  League Cup  only for teams outside of European football but give the winners a place in the Europa League for the following season. Reduce the size of the CL with only two teams from each country with one of the places going to the winners of the FA Cup. That would give the FA Cup a big boost in importance and with a  lot more of the big clubs being involved in the Euro League from the start, that too would gain in prestige.

Edited by boratsbrother

7 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

I'm in favour of this format which will now make it a proper tournament well worth winning and might one day even surpass the CL in terms of prestige.

However, there's already far too much football for the top players, so something has to give and here's a few way to help fixture congestion.

Scrap qualification for major championships for the major countries in Europe and  scrap the pointless Nations League.  League Cup  only for teams outside of European football but give the winners a place in the Europa League for the following season. Reduce the size of the CL with only two teams from each country with one of the places going to the winners of the FA Cup. That would give the FA Cup a big boost in importance and with a  lot more of the big clubs being involved in the Euro League from the start, that too would gain in prestige.

Excellent post bb and boils down my post to sensible solutions...far too sensible for the "Rulers" but would make everything more relevant for the fans..as if we matter anyway.

I underemphasised the over playing of the players but that is a huge factor...how many times have we read viewpoints that say.."player x needs a break/rest etc"?

Watching any top playing slogging his way towards the tail end of the season does not enhance the game.

• 9 months later...