The Ashes - 2023 Edition

xceleryx

Catching proving to be the crucial difference between the sides.

I can't remember seeing such poor catching from an England team.  The difference in wicket keeping alone is huge. Bairstow drops two, one of which a test keeper should be taking with ease, while the Aussie keeper takes an excellent diving catch.. 

We've had many periods of poor fielding before, but this is up there for sure.

Bairstow hasn't kept wicket for ages and is heavy since his injury. Foakes is the world's top wicket-keeper, but his conservative batting-style doesn't seem to fit in with Bazball. Or maybe he just hates the Stokes, Foakes, Woakes jokes 

Cumball > Bazball. 

Great session for the us Aussies, hopefully skittle the rest of the tail quickly after lunch.

I do feel a bit sorry for Stokes though, only one that's shown some stones and a willingness to stick it out. 

England should have been far ahead by the time Stokes had a whack. He should bat higher up second innings rather than try to make runs with the tail while all the Aussie fielders hug the boundary ropes. Each game has swung between the two teams, it's been a great series and shame it's not 1-1. We pissed the first one away and nearly rescued the second. Poor catching and Bairstow's keeping has been the difference.

Even though only one team has ever come back from two down to wi  the Ashes (Aussies did it decades ago) I said last week  I thought we were still very much in this series. We'll win this test tomorrow and I can see the Aussies being a bit twitchy at the start of the next one. I'll say it again, this is not a great Aussie team and they are there for the taking if we cut out the unforced errors.

8 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Even though only one team has ever come back from two down to wi  the Ashes (Aussies did it decades ago) I said last week  I thought we were still very much in this series. We'll win this test tomorrow and I can see the Aussies being a bit twitchy at the start of the next one. I'll say it again, this is not a great Aussie team and they are there for the taking if we cut out the unforced errors.

I applaud your optimism, but IMO the series is most probably already gone.  It's too close for one of the three results left not to go their way. I wouldn't rule out an England collapse today either. 

I also think this is a great Aussie team with many of the best bowlers and batsmen of this generation. They needed a statement away series to cement their legacy and this Ashes, against an extremely competitive England side with some top players of their own, is it.