Memorable Music

Blue Moon

2 hours ago, Ham said:

Absolutely loved 70s and 80s reggae. Used to listen to Roots Rock Reggae on the radio religiously.

Yellowman, Dennis Brown, Clint Eastwood and General Saint, The Mighty Diamonds, Carol Thompson, Aswad, Sugar Mynott, Gregory Isaacs, Eek a Mouse, Barrington Levy, Janet Kay and of course Bob Marley.

Probably why I became obsessed with early UB40 (first two albums only). 

Reggae was absolutely massive in the 70s and 80s.  It never really reached those heights again. 

Dillingers - Cocaine In My Brain.

Pluto Shevrington - Dat.

Althea and Donna - Uptwown Top Ranking.

Such catchy, feel good songs.

Another great thing about reggae,  is that it was easy to dance to for those of us with two left feet.

Edited by boratsbrother

45 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Dillingers - Cocaine In My Brain.

Pluto Shevrington - Dat.

Althea and Donna - Uptwown Top Ranking.

Such catchy, feel good songs.

Another great thing about reggae,  is that it was easy to dance to for those of us with two left feet.

Dat is a hilariously great record 

9 hours ago, Ham said:

Absolutely loved 70s and 80s reggae. Used to listen to Roots Rock Reggae on the radio religiously.

Yellowman, Dennis Brown, Clint Eastwood and General Saint, The Mighty Diamonds, Carol Thompson, Aswad, Sugar Mynott, Gregory Isaacs, Eek a Mouse, Barrington Levy, Janet Kay and of course Bob Marley.

Probably why I became obsessed with early UB40 (first two albums only). 

Reggae was absolutely massive in the 70s and 80s.  It never really reached those heights again. 

I can assure you Ham after nearly ten years in the Caribbean Reggae gets very old...love Bob Marley but listening to every beach bar band playing his classics and not too well can get a bit wearying.

Now..as a very young man I saw Gene Vincent and Eddie Cochran at Finsbury Park......now that's REAL OG!

• 2 weeks later...

Think this is right place ...question...way back in the day John Denver did a video singing "Football Crazy" at a Chelsea training  session,,cue bemused players..Ossie for one as I recall but I could be in an OG wrong memory file!

Does anyone remember that and/or know of a link?

Somewhat triggered by watching a 1974 John Denver concert at the amazing Red Rocks amphitheater just down the mountain from us.

36 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

- fourth song … 

Great effort BM...seems they cut the song short but I do remember the Chelsea "bit"...also remember a BBC2 special with JD,Tom Paxton and Mary of PP&M..when BBC was sort of "posh" and selective!

On 06/03/2023 at 13:09, Blue Moon said:

Gary Rossington, the last original member of rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd, died on Sunday, aged 71. Rest in peace, Gary - you were part of a great band.

The only two LS songs I know are Freebird and Sweet Home Alabama.  Liked SHA and rate Freebird as absolute classic. Don't know why, but I just never got round to checking out any of their other songs.

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

Another key figure of my childhood - Rag Mama Rag, Cripple Creek, I shall be released - he has been now, rest in peace, Robbie. You were one of the good guys.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canad-66457469

With you here BM...... Have some solo stuff by him and of course The Band......of it's time and just as good now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 10/08/2023 at 06:44, Blue Moon said:

Another key figure of my childhood - Rag Mama Rag, Cripple Creek, I shall be released - he has been now, rest in peace, Robbie. You were one of the good guys.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66457469

I have to say that his and The Band's music pretty much passed me by, but I was of course aware of his status in the music industry. They played this song of his on the radio in tribute after his death, which took me back over 30 years. Never knew it was by him, and always thought it was John Martyn!