Memorable Music

Blue Moon

• 3 weeks later...

Bit surprised at the dirth of posting here.

I came looking for place to share the following.

We all have great Music of all genres in our memory banks BUT... what about the dreaded EAR WORM?

Has no respect for classic music/songs of all types and can be anything from an annoying commercial jingle to an aria.

At the moment I am enduring, for far too many days, "Silver Threads and Golden Needles"...a song I like but nowhere near a DID choice.

Even watched a Dolly P and friends video to try and banish it but to no avail.

Anyone else suffering at this time or of late.? and  The worst ever ?

56 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

If you mean Floyd, then definitely. (check out "Have a Cigar" on Wish You Were Here)

Just before the old forum closed a poster (can't remember who) said that the Rolling Stones (I'm a fan of them) were the most overrated band of all-time. I guess we all have popular bands and solo artists who we think are overrated and Floyd would be my choice. No doubt one of the biggest bands of all-time, but I just find their music terribly dull. Adele and Sheeran are two others who I find deadly dull.

50 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Just before the old forum closed a poster (can't remember who) said that the Rolling Stones (I'm a fan of them) were the most overrated band of all-time. I guess we all have popular bands and solo artists who we think are overrated and Floyd would be my choice. No doubt one of the biggest bands of all-time, but I just find their music terribly dull. Adele and Sheeran are two others who I find deadly dull.

Oh dear, I like them too.  

18 hours ago, JaneB said:

I guess my music choices might be a little different to most on here but I have a huge girl crush on Pink and her music 💕

She's a really cool chick and tough as you like! I went to see her at Wembley with my sister and niece a couple of years ago and she was brilliant. I have to say I must have been the only straight bloke in the place 😄

14 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

You're right about Sheerin, wrong about Adele and so far wide of the mark about Pink Floyd that you can't even see the mark!

14 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

If you should go skating

on the thin ice of modern life,

Don't be surprised if a crack in the ice

appears under you feet......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RDCW said:

She's a really cool chick and tough as you like! I went to see her at Wembley with my sister and niece a couple of years ago and she was brilliant. I have to say I must have been the only straight bloke in the place 😄

Wow, someone on here agrees with me!!  She's terrific isn't she?  All those stunts!!  I'd love to see her live but don't know when she's touring here next.

Seemingly manages to combine a happy home life with being who she is too.  I follow her on IG of course, and also her husband, he's really cool too.

(I'm going to see Abba Voyage soon in London, bet you wouldn't be keen on that!!)

4 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Wow, someone on here agrees with me!!  She's terrific isn't she?  All those stunts!!  I'd love to see her live but don't know when she's touring here next.

Seemingly manages to combine a happy home life with being who she is too.  I follow her on IG of course, and also her husband, he's really cool too.

(I'm going to see Abba Voyage soon in London, bet you wouldn't be keen on that!!)

She's in the UK now! She was promoting her stadium tour on Graham Norton last night.

6 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Gotta love ABBA! Anyone who says they don't is just being silly (and I speak as an unreconstructed blues, guitar and prog rock man)!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Same here , Heavy Metal, Punk and Prog fanatic but absolutely love Abba .

I like some heavy rock with Led Zep being my favourites. 3 truly brilliant musicians. 

Loved Punk. Loved Abba - Had a massive crush on Agnetha. 

Also loved Mowtown. Soul/funk and good old cheesy disco and pure pop. 70's reggae. 

45 minutes ago, JaneB said:

By all accounts it's quite something!

But this is only the start of things to come with this type of show. With the rate at which  technology improves, one can only image how incredibly real and spectacular they'll be in a decades time. However, at the moment they can only make this type of show look realistic with performers who are still alive. The abba members had to be wired up for weeks for them to digitalize their bodies. I'm sure they find a way around this in years to come and be able to produce these shows with artists who have passed away. An Elvis show would be a huge attraction.

Some musicians are worried about the future and think these types of shows will kill the live gig scene. I don't see that myself. People will always want to go out and watch you bands and singers and those older favs who are still able to put on great gigs. These concerts will only involve those legacy acts who've passed away or are just too old to play anymore.

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

I like some heavy rock with Led Zep being my favourites. 3 truly brilliant musicians. 

Loved Punk. Loved Abba - Had a massive crush on Agnetha. 

Also loved Mowtown. Soul/funk and good old cheesy disco and pure pop. 70's reggae. 

Absolutely loved 70s and 80s reggae. Used to listen to Roots Rock Reggae on the radio religiously.

Yellowman, Dennis Brown, Clint Eastwood and General Saint, The Mighty Diamonds, Carol Thompson, Aswad, Sugar Mynott, Gregory Isaacs, Eek a Mouse, Barrington Levy, Janet Kay and of course Bob Marley.

Probably why I became obsessed with early UB40 (first two albums only). 

Reggae was absolutely massive in the 70s and 80s.  It never really reached those heights again. 

18 minutes ago, Ham said:

Absolutely loved 70s and 80s reggae. Used to listen to Roots Rock Reggae on the radio religiously.

Yellowman, Dennis Brown, Clint Eastwood and General Saint, The Mighty Diamonds, Carol Thompson, Aswad, Sugar Mynott, Gregory Isaacs, Eek a Mouse, Barrington Levy, Janet Kay and of course Bob Marley.

Probably why I became obsessed with early UB40 (first two albums only). 

Reggae was absolutely massive in the 70s and 80s.  It never really reached those heights again. 

A big soundtrack to the seventies punk rock scene too especially with the patronage of John Peel and John Lydon . Misty in roots , Augustus Pablo and Lynton Kwesi-Johnson and let's not overlook the fabulous Steel Pulse !

47 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

A big soundtrack to the seventies punk rock scene too especially with the patronage of John Peel and John Lydon . Misty in roots , Augustus Pablo and Lynton Kwesi-Johnson and let's not overlook the fabulous Steel Pulse !

Very much overlooked.  In the shadow of other Brum reggae bands.