Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

My Blood Is Blue

3 hours ago, Rob B said:

Not saying all of these are world beaters (some are) but if there’s one thing I find it difficult to criticise it’s the talent within our academy.  I would say Cobham is about the surest bet in the country in terms of producing Premier League standard footballers, so Chelsea Youth is bang on the money with his tweet.

It was certainly a huge producer of good players for a while.  It helped though the club tore it self away from the idea that it was producing the next Ray Wilkins (RLC, CHO, Josh etc) and concentrated on producing a lot of Graham Wilkins who would have respectable PL/Championship careers.

Still think it took a big lead by taking on 8 years olds and giving them a lot of expert coaching early on.  Whether that worked because of the early coaching or whether it was because it attracted the most committed parents from a wide area maybe doesn't matter.
But either way by 2012 everyone was doing the same and I am not sure we have an advantage over other clubs at ages 19 and less.
(England has though)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Jamaican young striker Dujuaan Richards, looks to be improving nicely. 

Watched a bit of the game versus A. Villa and he scored two, both nicely taken and set one up for Washington. Looks pacy, balanced with a trick or two, but I find it difficult to judge if that pace is ‘real’, meaning does it translate into first team pace or are they quick for their age group/level?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...