Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

My Blood Is Blue

9 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Sadly Lewis Hall showing why he's not a full back.

Never quite got the hype over Hall being a fullback personally, the only thing he does well in the role is progress the ball forward. 

Needs to spend next season out on loan playing in the midfield somewhere.

• 1 month later...

Lewis Hall has always performed well when playing in the first team and LB does seem to suit him. It’ll be interesting to see what happens with him… does he get sent out on loan or does he become a genuine option in the first team next season and if so, what position?

I know it’s limited minutes, but it does seem as though he could be a genuine option at left back going forward… but we have the tricky dilemma of having a rather expensive Cucurella in the squad at the moment.

4 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

does he get sent out on loan or does he become a genuine option in the first team next season and if so, what position?

A properly organise loan is probably the best option for him next season. Can’t see him getting much game time next season, due to the limited amount of games available and the importance of the new coach trying to get top 4

6 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Lewis Hall has always performed well when playing in the first team and LB does seem to suit him. It’ll be interesting to see what happens with him… does he get sent out on loan or does he become a genuine option in the first team next season and if so, what position?

I know it’s limited minutes, but it does seem as though he could be a genuine option at left back going forward… but we have the tricky dilemma of having a rather expensive Cucurella in the squad at the moment.

Hall's 18, right? He's still got plenty of time on his side. On the ball he shows some promise, and that's really where his strengths lie. Being a midfielder that's converted to a fullback he's got that advantage of being comfortable in possession and progress the ball forward really well. The big thing will be whether or not he can improve enough on the defensive side of things to make him viable as a full-time option. That for me still remains the key longer term. 

A good loan next season playing regularly somewhere would do him the world of good. 

Edited by xceleryx

9 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Hall's 18, right? He's still got plenty of time on his side. On the ball he shows some promise, and that's really where his strengths lie. Being a midfielder that's converted to a fullback he's got that advantage of being comfortable in possession and progress the ball forward really well. The big thing will be whether or not he can improve enough on the defensive side of things to make him viable as a full-time option. That for me still remains the key longer term. 

A good loan next season playing regularly somewhere would do him the world of good. 

If he is a midfielder then he need to apply his trade there.

This continual BS of asking players to play in un-natural positions is one of the reasons why this season is such a mess. 

15 minutes ago, ROTG said:

If he is a midfielder then he need to apply his trade there.

This continual BS of asking players to play in un-natural positions is one of the reasons why this season is such a mess. 

A ridged way of looking at it.

If we were discussing a player like Sterling being moved to wingback, I'd agree. It's not a beneficial move. Hall however is still young enough to where he could put the work in forge a senior career outside of midfield. Even if he ends up a midfielder, having versatility is never a bad thing either. 

Taking your hard line approach would've meant we'd never see a player like Pirlo for example become one of the finest, if not the finest, deep-lying playmakers ever. Instead he'd have remained a #10 and wasted years being stuck behind Baggio. Reece James came through the junior system as a striker, then moved into midfield and finally settled in at fullback. Now he's arguably one of the best right backs in world football currently. Even John Terry started out as a midfielder before making he move to centre half. The list goes on but you get the point.

58 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

A ridged way of looking at it.

If we were discussing a player like Sterling being moved to wingback, I'd agree. It's not a beneficial move. Hall however is still young enough to where he could put the work in forge a senior career outside of midfield. Even if he ends up a midfielder, having versatility is never a bad thing either. 

Taking your hard line approach would've meant we'd never see a player like Pirlo for example become one of the finest, if not the finest, deep-lying playmakers ever. Instead he'd have remained a #10 and wasted years being stuck behind Baggio. Reece James came through the junior system as a striker, then moved into midfield and finally settled in at fullback. Now he's arguably one of the best right backs in world football currently. Even John Terry started out as a midfielder before making he move to centre half. The list goes on but you get the point.

it is not a hardline approach, at 18, I would imagine the club have played him at various positions and decided midfield is his best position. That said, if the next coach was insane enough to revert to 3 at the back then Hall may well be able to play wing back due to the lower risk involved in defending side of his game.

Best option is for him to be loaned an get midfield miles on the clock 

36 minutes ago, ROTG said:

it is not a hardline approach, at 18, I would imagine the club have played him at various positions and decided midfield is his best position. That said, if the next coach was insane enough to revert to 3 at the back then Hall may well be able to play wing back due to the lower risk involved in defending side of his game.

Best option is for him to be loaned an get midfield miles on the clock 

I don't disagree with the notion that he's a midfielder first at this point and as such should be playing that role if he heads out on loan. Be that as it may, at 18 there's nothing wrong with him possibly being looked at for another position either should it be a better fit longer term. 

What would be detrimental would be having him constantly playing several positions without any regularity at this stage of his career. There needs to be some sort of consistency had to allow him the best chance of developing in whatever positions he's seen best suited for.

Looking at the best teams around at the moment, you will see their players have so much flexibility and fluidity in terms of positions they take up on the field. 

John Stones is currently playing amazing football taking up positions in central midfield. Zinchenko is Arsenal's starting LB but spends 80% of his time in central midfield. Why can't Hall beocme that kind of player for us? Starting at LB but giving us that tactical flexibility during games. 

If the option is having a defender like Chilwell who is a turnover machine and looks terrified when pressed or a skilled footballer like Hall who can play out the back with ease then I'm picking Hall 10/10. If Pochettino really is the coach we're being told he is then he should be able to take a talent like Hall to the next level. He has all the physical and technical tools you want a young player to have. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've mentioned it on these forums that most of the top class modern FB's/WB's are converted wingers/ wide midfield players from their youth days. Hall will be no different in my view. He needs to learn the defensive side of the game, but in a team far better organised and disciplined than our current team.

Either they all bomb forward and leave a massive hole or he gets isolated.

Under a proper coach, with team disciplines drilled in, Lewis  could be a star.

41 minutes ago, Bison said:

John Stones is currently playing amazing football taking up positions in central midfield. Zinchenko is Arsenal's starting LB but spends 80% of his time in central midfield.

Doh!

stones 28 year old

Zinchenko 26 year old. 

Hall is starting his career and not a matured player with seasons of PL first team experience.

What is the point of trying to get Hall to run before he can walk properly?

20 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Doh!

stones 28 year old

Zinchenko 26 year old. 

Hall is starting his career and not a matured player with seasons of PL first team experience.

What is the point of trying to get Hall to run before he can walk properly?

What's really funny is, the best team in the country and Europe currently have Rico Lewis (exact same age as Lewis Hall) being taught how to play the inverted fullback role. Here's his season so far:

Screenshot-20230527-094345-Brave.jpg

Guardiola constantly raves about him (Google it if you don't believe me) and he will likely continue to give Rico Lewis even more opportunities next season. 

But here we are: a team that is significantly worse in every single way afraid to try new things or give our own exceptional young players a chance to learn and develop with us.

Doh indeed.

Edited by Bison
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I paid attention to him against us because of the Guardiola comments, and he wasn't all that. OK, it was only one game, so maybe he just had a bad one. He was playing centre midfield and I thought he went missing for large parts of the game. He is barely mentioned in the reports (twice, once for a potential assist to Foden and the other for conceding a corner). All the same, he got 6.21 on the BBC ratings which looks good. It was third from the bottom.

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

I paid attention to him against us because of the Guardiola comments, and he wasn't all that. OK, it was only one game, so maybe he just had a bad one. He was playing centre midfield and I thought he went missing for large parts of the game. He is barely mentioned in the reports (twice, once for a potential assist to Foden and the other for conceding a corner). All the same, he got 6.21 on the BBC ratings which looks good. It was third from the bottom.

He  changed the game against us at the Bridge earlier in the season. I've seen him play a few times since and he's really talented.

Hall has done well for us more or less every time he's been used. You don't send a player like that out on loan because it's the done thing. You give them more opportunities. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bison said:

He  changed the game against us at the Bridge earlier in the season. I've seen him play a few times since and he's really talented.

Hall has done well for us more or less every time he's been used. You don't send a player like that out on loan because it's the done thing. You give them more opportunities. 

I agree. If we want to develop Hall and alter his 'natural' game and position then I would suggest we keep him at the club and coach it into him and play him in a setup that allows for it, rather than send him out on loan where he'll more likely be played as a pure CM or LB, which ultimately may limit what he could potentially become.

I'm all for players going out on loan to develop when needed, but Man City are a great example that it doesn't always need to be done that way. If Foden were at Chelsea, he'd have had multiple loans before he got a first-team appearance. 

24 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I agree. If we want to develop Hall and alter his 'natural' game and position then I would suggest we keep him at the club and coach it into him and play him in a setup that allows for it, rather than send him out on loan where he'll more likely be played as a pure CM or LB, which ultimately may limit what he could potentially become.

I'm all for players going out on loan to develop when needed, but Man City are a great example that it doesn't always need to be done that way. If Foden were at Chelsea, he'd have had multiple loans before he got a first-team appearance. 

... and then being sold.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Bison said:

I missed that one. As I said, I have seen him once.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

TBF It's also much easier for a manager to integrate a couple of kids and slowly develop them in a strong side that's performing well and still getting results. Of course a team still needs a manager willing to do that which Man City do.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Bison said:

Perhaps we should send some of the players on that list out on loan instead. 

Of course It was nothing to do with ManUre & Newcastle targeting Azpi on the right as the primary part of there attacking play?

On 27/05/2023 at 14:01, Bison said:

What's really funny is, the best team in the country and Europe currently have Rico Lewis (exact same age as Lewis Hall) being taught how to play the inverted fullback role. Here's his season so far:

Screenshot-20230527-094345-Brave.jpg

Guardiola constantly raves about him (Google it if you don't believe me) and he will likely continue to give Rico Lewis even more opportunities next season. 

But here we are: a team that is significantly worse in every single way afraid to try new things or give our own exceptional young players a chance to learn and develop with us.

Doh indeed.

So you are raving about a right footed player who has played on the left twice?

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Of course It was nothing to do with ManUre & Newcastle targeting Azpi on the right as the primary part of there attacking play?

What does Newcastle attacking Azpilicueta have to do with Lewis Hall's chance creation?

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

So you are raving about a right footed player who has played on the left twice?

Doh.

Nevermind.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bison said:

What does Newcastle attacking Azpilicueta have to do with Lewis Hall's chance creation?

Doh.

Nevermind.

Because neither ManUre or Newcastle were bother about him, which was obvious during the games