Chelsea Womens Team

Michael Tucker

4 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Been much the better team, City. We've played pretty direct, regressive football over the last few months and it shows in the big games. Villa next week is a big game now. They're a decent team, but win there and it's all (tempting fate!) games we should cruise until the last game of the season. 

That said, the officiating here has been shite. Kerr clean through and obviously onside at 1-0 down, ref stopping play because a ball hits Houghton's head but on several occasions playing on with multiple Chelsea players down.

Perfect summation. They were too good, but the ref was terrible.

The lino also made 2 offside calls which looked wrong. That said we looked pretty poor throughout. Kerr definitely misses Fran Kirby and the defence looks very shaky without Millie Bright (despite the fact that Bright herself has not been in great form lately). The keeper was shaky and only Cuthbert could really claim to have had a decent game.

Despite statements to the contrary from Emma Hayes the players look to have a bit of match fatigue.

31 minutes ago, RDCW said:

The lino also made 2 offside calls which looked wrong. That said we looked pretty poor throughout. Kerr definitely misses Fran Kirby and the defence looks very shaky without Millie Bright (despite the fact that Bright herself has not been in great form lately). The keeper was shaky and only Cuthbert could really claim to have had a decent game.

Despite statements to the contrary from Emma Hayes the players look to have a bit of match fatigue.

They've been caught out tactically and technically against Arsenal, Man U and City recently even though they won against United.  We were second best in most of that game even. 

Changes are needed at the end of the season. Kerr can't keep carrying the team. 

They can't keep possession, passing and decision making has been poor and the long ball game to Kerr has been sussed out. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ham said:

They've been caught out tactically and technically against Arsenal, Man U and City recently even though they won against United.  We were second best in most of that game even. 

Changes are needed at the end of the season. Kerr can't keep carrying the team. 

They can't keep possession, passing and decision making has been poor and the long ball game to Kerr has been sussed out. 

What's strange to me is that this direct, fairly regressive football didn't come as soon as Kirby and Harder were injured. Initially, at least, we kept playing fairly expansive stuff. But throughout 2023, it's been about lumping it to Kerr or James taking only 4 players on her own. The team has got worse as James as got better and played more of a role in it. Not a dig at James, it's not her job to get the team's balance right. It's not a style that is going to be comfortable or successful against teams who can play, so can only imagine the calculation is that it is enough to roll over the other 7 or 8 WSL teams. That makes Villa, the best of the rest, a real big game.

There's a couple of changes I think have been needed for a year or so. I adore Kirby, but you can't have a team so reliable on someone whose availability is so unreliable. I'd be looking to replace her, or at least bring in another option. Berger has to go, she's nowhere near good enough with her feet to play out from the back against teams who are good enough to pressure (so pretty much just the teams you mention, domestically). I know the Belgian no.1 is coming in, can't say I know anything about her, but hopefully she's got the ability to be that replacement. And we need some genuine full backs, especially at LB. Carter is a jack-of-all-trades who gives it all and is useful to have in the squad, but she is not a LB and it's a failure in squad building that she's still often doing that job nearly 2 years after the Barca CL final. And, honestly, I'd be brining Nouwen back over playing Buchanan. I'm really not seeing it in her.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

What's strange to me is that this direct, fairly regressive football didn't come as soon as Kirby and Harder were injured. Initially, at least, we kept playing fairly expansive stuff. But throughout 2023, it's been about lumping it to Kerr or James taking only 4 players on her own. The team has got worse as James as got better and played more of a role in it. Not a dig at James, it's not her job to get the team's balance right. It's not a style that is going to be comfortable or successful against teams who can play, so can only imagine the calculation is that it is enough to roll over the other 7 or 8 WSL teams. That makes Villa, the best of the rest, a real big game.

There's a couple of changes I think have been needed for a year or so. I adore Kirby, but you can't have a team so reliable on someone whose availability is so unreliable. I'd be looking to replace her, or at least bring in another option. Berger has to go, she's nowhere near good enough with her feet to play out from the back against teams who are good enough to pressure (so pretty much just the teams you mention, domestically). I know the Belgian no.1 is coming in, can't say I know anything about her, but hopefully she's got the ability to be that replacement. And we need some genuine full backs, especially at LB. Carter is a jack-of-all-trades who gives it all and is useful to have in the squad, but she is not a LB and it's a failure in squad building that she's still often doing that job nearly 2 years after the Barca CL final. And, honestly, I'd be brining Nouwen back over playing Buchanan. I'm really not seeing it in her.

Great summation! Everyone here should read this post, and then read it again. 

10 hours ago, Ham said:

You and TVF 😂

I know ... I'd been up since 4am, needed to be up at 4am today and genuinely had no idea they were using VAR so sighed and walked out when they played on. In 30 years of going, I've left maybe 6 or 7 games a few minutes early and never missed anything. This would happen!

Not a brilliant performance by any means, Lyon will feel rightly aggrieved, but whoever you are you have to credit the players for not giving up and the bottle they showed with those penalties. Mjelde is full-on Partridge traction engine from the spot and Carter's (at fault for both goals, but not a LB) was unstoppable. 

I'll stay until 30 minutes after full time for Barca!

• Like 1

Women playing Villa on BBC Radio 5 Extra tonight (the game is on Sky). I must say, I can't stand the standard BBC commentators. They will, as usual, spend the whole game talking about Arsenal despite them not being on the pitch.

3 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Women playing Villa on BBC Radio 5 Extra tonight (the game is on Sky). I must say, I can't stand the standard BBC commentators. They will, as usual, spend the whole game talking about Arsenal despite them not being on the pitch.

This is the night the title challenge could end. Villa are no mugs. 

I've not watched Villa women before so it'll be interesting to see whether tiktok player Lehmann can play football as well as she fills extra small shorts. 

• Agree 1

This is going to be a huge result. City and United have each other to play, and Arsenal have United. That will probably be late in the season and mid-week as it clashed with the CL. Odds are all will drop points before we play Arsenal in the penultimate weekend, so with our game in hand we're back, imo, in pole position.

• Agree 1