Chelsea 1 Liverpool 1

4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Being a left back is not purely about technique and control. 

Positioning, defensive awareness etc.........all comes with experience. And yes, the athletic side of it, particularly with a modern full back is hugely important. 

Oh, and Hall isn't even a left back. 

Hall needs game time and defensive coaching because the upside is there. We would be getting all the football qualities of Reece James which is a dream. He is an athlete too, with running power and good top end speed. 

3 hours ago, Miguelito07 said:

But Hall isnt a LB. In fact, some of the games he played as LB he wasnt particularly good. 

Yeah Hall is a LB but views himself as a CM. This where good guidance and coaching would do a world of good. 

I guess I'm more sold on his performances last season than most of the forum.

4 hours ago, Ham said:

He said Kepa over Mendy was political too. 

Awful lot of politics on that one but I'll say no more. Kepa is gone thankfully so I'll move on. 

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I guess the politics explain why Cucurella came on ahead of Maatsen too.

absolutely, with Poch's alleged system and only 37 key games this season why would anyone gamble on academy player when the club has a 60m TBSD headless chicken at the club.

On 14/08/2023 at 09:29, paulw66 said:

Didn't take long, did it?

Poch gets 30 minutes before being labelled Potter, and two players making their debuts, one of whom is 20, the other arrived in the country ten days ago are labelled not good enough.

Remembering why I hate the in-gamr thread already.

The Potterchino comment was a joke, but if he sticks with 532 then he won't be doing himself any favours in the long run. Our lack of width especially down the left was worring, in particular when we have a player like Mudryk on the bench as a clear option.

However regarding Disasi and Colwill, Disasi I highly doubt was in our plans as he popped up when Fofana got injured, but he did ok and took his goal well; he seems a little slow on the turn but most of the time his large frame means it's very difficult to turn him. grew in the game as did Colwill. Colwill was a disaster at the start, and for their goal Salah had all the time in the world, if that had been Cucurella he'd have been slaughtered, yeah Colwill is younger but that's why we have loans. Colwill seems very confident on the ball and at times maybe too confident as he tries too much, however regarding his defending he really needs to step up, it's fine when there are 2 other centrebacks around but 1v1 he looked easy to run at and he struggled to manipulate the attacker to where he needed them to be, instead he was being pushed and pulled around; yes he is young but he is far more Luiz like than Rudiger, which is fine in a back 3 but not a back 4 (which I hope to see us switch to soon to make the most of our central midfield trio and getting Mudryk, Jackson and Maduke on the pitch all at the same time). I'm not saying he'll never come good or he shouldn't be given the chance, but matchday threads are to celebrate and also point out positives/negatives to a player's/manager's performances at that particular moment; otherwise there would be no post.

• Agree 1