Borussia Dortmund 1 Chelsea 0

JaneB

16 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Not sure I've said that, pretty sure it's Celery your thinking of but either way I agree with him 100%.

He may well be able to play as a DM but would be completely wasted in my opinion.

He is a box to box, you've only got to see how much more often he gets forward than Jorginho did, the type of pass he looks for when he gets there and the man absolute loves a shit. 

Not only does he get forward more often than a typical DM should, he busts a gut to do it. Not sure how much of that can be seen on TV, not suggesting that's how you watch games I don't know, but you see it better live , he bursts forward with no care in the world for what he's leaving behind. 

To get the best out of him he must not be shackled and needs a proper DM alongside him that will allow him to roam all over the pitch.

Also I don't think he's particularly slow, he may not be the quickest but Dortmund's goal made him look slower than he is, understandably so that boy was beyond quick, I'm not sure it's ever been mentioned before that moment.

Apologies it could well have been 🙂  I have only seen him live at the Fulham game and in that game he played very deep, in fact he kept dropping back into the CB position to start the play from there.  He looked similar to Jorginho positionally-wise but, with more bite, energy, and most notably forward balls.

It's the impression I got watching the other two games too but, I was guessing that this is because he's been asked/is required to play that deep role at the moment, and as you say he needs a DM to release the shackles. My question was more about whether the way he is currently being asked to play actually the end-game or is it just temporary?  I think he is brilliant already but, if there is even more to come in an attacking sense then all the better!

On 16/02/2023 at 08:58, xceleryx said:

Nowhere did I dismiss Kante's quality as a player, or that he isn't a unique player in his own regard. I argued his value to the side in respects to what we're lacking and in need of. As such, Kante unfortunately isn't the style of midfielder we're needing for the aforementioned reasons in my last post. We'd be far better served with more of a Makelele, or even a Matic type than a ball chasing positionally free player like Kante. 

Whether you choose to agree with that or not, it still remains a situation that has more nuance than you're giving it. 

The thing that worries me most is you have 4 people agreeing with you.

We have a completely dysfunctional team especially in midfield and you are talking nuance!!!.

Kante is one of the best players that has EVER played for us in midfield and yet despite the pish we have in this position you mention we need "nuance" in that position!

I agree he will never get back to the stand out player he once was,but please...

4 minutes ago, kev61 said:

The thing that worries me most is you have 4 people agreeing with you.

We have a completely dysfunctional team especially in midfield and you are talking nuance!!!.

Kante is one of the best players that has EVER played for us in midfield and yet despite the pish we have in this position you mention we need "nuance" in that position!

I agree he will never get back to the stand out player he once was,but please...

Did it ever cross your mind that maybe having several others agreeing with what I said may mean you're not as correct as you think you are? 

Once again, no one has argued otherwise with regards to Kante's status as a player, yet it's the only thing you continue to push as to why he's needed. The fact is, and I'll reiterate yet again, nuance is exactly why Kante isn't the solution. It takes nuance to understand the skillset of a player, the skillset the team needs, and coming together to find the best solution. As great as Kante was in his prime, both his skillset and playing style are not what we're missing. No matter how in denial you are over this, it's the hard true.

If we're to be a more functional side while simultaneously maximising the the squad we're assembling then the solution is a  technically assure positionally disciplined midfield partner for Enzo that can comfortably sit and shield the defence, allowing Enzo the freedom to get closer to goal where he can use his creativity and passing to greater effect. Kante is none of this, never has been or ever will be. Plain and simple.

Not going to rehash this again either. 

5 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Not going to rehash this again either. 

No need to "rehash things" for me.Zaffo you talk as if you've got your coaching badges and have got a best seller out "Zaffo, and how coaches have got the nuances wrong".

I will gracefully stop replying to you unless you really wind me up.

7 hours ago, kev61 said:

No need to "rehash things" for me.Zaffo you talk as if you've got your coaching badges and have got a best seller out "Zaffo, and how coaches have got the nuances wrong".

I will gracefully stop replying to you unless you really wind me up.

For one, I'd appreciate if you stopped addressing me with the name I ditched many year ago. 

Secondly, I speak as someone that enjoys the intricate aspects of sport - football or otherwise. You also have zero knowledge of my background. 

Put me on ignore if you can't handle it.