Borussia Dortmund 1 Chelsea 0

JaneB

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our UEFA Champions League Round of 16 First Leg match against Borussia Dortmund at the Signal Iduna Park before, during and after the game.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 20:00 hours on Wednesday, 15th February 2023 (Local UK time/date) (Live on BT Sport)

• 2 weeks later...

As ever not sure this is the right topic area.

Am I the only one with a nasty suspicion that maybe Chelsea as a Club this season has written off every avenue of success and is concentrating on a rebuild ? 

Any forward momentum accepted but not as a priority....pain before gain and keep the powder dry for next season?

This game and the use of the squad should give us some idea of the mindset.

We as supporters are looking for victory every game but hard headed businessmen are looking for long term financial profitability especially from game income..I don't mean the turnstiles (do they still exist?) and I feel although both fans and management want success in the game there are different criteria in the wind.

2 hours ago, chara said:

Am I the only one with a nasty suspicion that maybe Chelsea as a Club this season has written off every avenue of success and is concentrating on a rebuild ? 

Actually I'm of the opinion that we're putting all our eggs in the Champions League. Yes the rebuild is a priority, and contrary to what some people here seem to think that will take longer than a couple of weeks, but we're in a position where we are in the knock out stage of the biggest club competition in the world. Dortmund may be sitting in third place in their league but have lost ony one fewer games than ourselves having, played two games fewer. We shouldn't fear them over two legs, then hopefully you're into the quarter finals where only one of PSG or Bayern will also be there. We're not turning our back on this I'm sure of it.

• Like 1

We're going to be heavily reliant on individual quality getting us through over tactical nous, which isn't ideal in these sort of competitions where it is important to be tactically prepared. 

While I think we should have enough to get past Dortmund, I equally wouldn't be surprised whatsoever if we get dumped out. Dortmund are on a good run of form, they score goals, and generally have plenty of possession themselves. They are however vulnerable at the back and struggle to keep clean sheets, so we should get chances. Whether we take those chances however is a different story. 

I'm a little concerned about our midfield though and who exactly stops Bellingham and Brandt.

I think we will get comfortably beaten over the two games. 

Just see absolutely nothing from us that suggests we are capable of getting anywhere near them over 180 minutes. It's funny how some think we are going all out for this, what does that even mean, that Potter will actually do something on the training ground the week building up to this? That we will see some kind of tactics or maybe our players will actually run after the ball when we lose possession? 

Now, I can see the argument for Liverpool fans thinking they could go all out and win it, or Tottenham even, but it genuinely amazes me that people think we, a very average mid table side, believe we have the remotest possibility of getting anywhere near winning it. 

Shame as Europe is so weak at the moment and it's a very winnable competition, plus it's my first time watching Chelsea in Dortmund, which is the one game I've always wanted to see and I'm not even looking forward to it.

28 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

It's funny how some think we are going all out for this, what does that even mean, that Potter will actually do something on the training ground the week building up to this? That we will see some kind of tactics or maybe our players will actually run after the ball when we lose possession? 

I think what is meant is that any squad rotation will be with a view to fielding the strongest squad in the CL and that returning players will be given minutes in order to be ready for these games. We've got this far, we're certainly not going to go down without a fight.

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

I think what is meant is that any squad rotation will be with a view to fielding the strongest squad in the CL and that returning players will be given minutes in order to be ready for these games. We've got this far, we're certainly not going to go down without a fight.

Sad thing is I think we really will.

I wish I shared the optimism, on paper we have a very strong squad, with a lot of potential. It's a squad that has been built to win the biggest trophies, no doubt about it. 

The big European teams have never been weaker. Even Madrid are not the same. City and Liverpool nowhere near their best.

Arsenal, Barcelona and United aren't even in it. 

it's the weakest the competition has ever been, especially when you include how bad we are.

I would have fancied our chances in Europe this year with no signings, with Tuchel. 

Problem is, the reality is, and we all know the reasons as to why it was always going to be a difficult season, for whoever was in charge, we are a mid table side at the moment with absolutely no sign of anything changing. 

2 hours ago, martin1905 said:

I think we will get comfortably beaten over the two games. 

Just see absolutely nothing from us that suggests we are capable of getting anywhere near them over 180 minutes. It's funny how some think we are going all out for this, what does that even mean, that Potter will actually do something on the training ground the week building up to this? That we will see some kind of tactics or maybe our players will actually run after the ball when we lose possession? 

Now, I can see the argument for Liverpool fans thinking they could go all out and win it, or Tottenham even, but it genuinely amazes me that people think we, a very average mid table side, believe we have the remotest possibility of getting anywhere near winning it. 

Shame as Europe is so weak at the moment and it's a very winnable competition, plus it's my first time watching Chelsea in Dortmund, which is the one game I've always wanted to see and I'm not even looking forward to it.

I get things are not great, but I am actually quite confident we will go through, I don't think we can realistically win it. Dortmund over 2 legs does not overly concern me though.

As bang average as we have been this season, we have generally dialled it in and produced half decent performance in some of the bigger games this season. Our CL record has been impressive this season, minus the blip at the start. If you look at our performances/results against the bigger teams in the PL this season, then you would say these games have a smattering of better performances, the exception being the Arsenal game (press hard and intense from the off).

Where I would say we have struggled the most is when we have come up against teams who press hard and are well organised. Whilst Dortmund can provide that press at times, the nature of a CL knock out game means it will be more tactical, with it likely being played at a slower pace. I think we will get a result at Dortmund and then take them back to the bridge to see it through.

3 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

I get things are not great, but I am actually quite confident we will go through, I don't think we can realistically win it. Dortmund over 2 legs does not overly concern me though.

As bang average as we have been this season, we have generally dialled it in and produced half decent performance in some of the bigger games this season. Our CL record has been impressive this season, minus the blip at the start. If you look at our performances/results against the bigger teams in the PL this season, then you would say these games have a smattering of better performances, the exception being the Arsenal game (press hard and intense from the off).

We have only beaten Wolves, Palace, Bournemouth and Aston Villa in the league this year under Potter so not sure I agree with this to be fair. You can argue AC Milan but they were woeful.

3 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Where I would say we have struggled the most is when we have come up against teams who press hard and are well organised. Whilst Dortmund can provide that press at times, the nature of a CL knock out game means it will be more tactical, with it likely being played at a slower pace. I think we will get a result at Dortmund and then take them back to the bridge to see it through.

I think, judging by our results and performances, we have struggled in pretty much every game under Potter, apart from the two AC Milan games. There has not been a single performance I can remember that left me thinking, that was really good. 

I watch a lot of Dortmund due to one of my boys picking them as their 'favourite foreign team' years ago and whilst they have had problems this year, especially defensively but they have won 5 in a row, scoring 18 times and play really good football. They can definitely be got at with a high press, but we don't do that. Don't even attempt it.

I would be amazed if they don't come out all guns blazing, press us hard and put us under enormous pressure early on which is the worst possible thing for us, especially without Badiashile.

2 hours ago, martin1905 said:
22 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

The big European teams have never been weaker. Even Madrid are not the same. City and Liverpool nowhere near their best.

Arsenal, Barcelona and United aren't even in it. 

it's the weakest the competition has ever been, especially when you include how bad we are.

I’m not sure how you come to the conclusion that Liverpool think they can win it when in the next post you say they are nowhere near their best. They too are an average mid table side, their form is worse than ours, they signed no one in the January window and they’re up against Real Madrid.

I’m not saying we’re going to win it but to write us off before we’ve even kicked the first leg off is just in my opinion doom mongering.

Give it a chance and enjoy Dortmund, stayed there before a Schalke game a few years back and it is a great city.

16 minutes ago, chrisb said:

I’m not sure how you come to the conclusion that Liverpool think they can win it when in the next post you say they are nowhere near their best. They too are an average mid table side, their form is worse than ours, they signed no one in the January window and they’re up against Real Madrid.

Because I think they are capable of putting in a run of decent performances in a cup competition. The league for them is completely over and they have nothing else to play for. Klopp will have them bang up for it.

I could see them doing an us in 2012.

I’m not saying we’re going to win it but to write us off before we’ve even kicked the first leg off is just in my opinion doom mongering.

Just being realistic, if that's doom mongering then so be it. I don't give us a chance, hope I'm wrong.

Give it a chance and enjoy Dortmund, stayed there before a Schalke game a few years back and it is a great city.

I will enjoy it, always do, at least the experience of going to different cities. Problem is I'm going for a reason, it's the one place I've always really wanted to go and watch us but unfortunately as far as the game goes, not looking forward to it one bit, but that goes for every game at the moment, never been so uninterested in watching us, which is a real shame.

1 hour ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Look at my avatar. Those 2 stars each came during seasons not dissimilar to this current one. 

In those two seasons we finished 6 & 4 and our form took an upward turn when the new coach took over

19 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

My hope is that the equivalent of a manager change this season, is this January transfer window. 

Genuinely love your optimism, makes me smile.

I think no signings and a manager change would have given us a better chance to add number three.

It's a cup competition so yeah we could get through and keep going but the most likely outcome,even for the most optimistic of optimist's is we go out against Dortmund. 

• Thanks 1

Well i am  making the trip to Dortmund in hope of a decent performance, did the trip to Lille last season and had a bit of a mare-delayed train meant no ticket and my mates all got held back in the stadium so ended up watching in  bar and kipping on a chair in a hotel foyer. This time I have a ticket already albeit in with the germans, earlier train booked (only 20 quid each way from Amsterdam) and just as importantly a hotel room...what could possibly go wrong....

I think within a couple of weeks probably Spurs away it will come together, new signings gel plus injured ones back and we will start clicking.

Fortunately 2nd leg of Dortmund comes later yet seems a big error not including the new CB, Badiashile in the CL squad.

Haven't seen anything to suggest Potter has the ability to get us past Dortmund, would be nice if just to get us extra playing time to see if we can gel some of the new players.

I agree with some of the earlier comments that we are in a building mode but our priority must remain the league in pursuit of the Europa league and anything in the CL is a bonus but win it we won't. I fear if we fall too far from the top 4 it will become incresingly difficult to get back. Important players only come to clubs in Europe.

We will destroy Dortmand.The curse of Chelsea is over.We will see the new Chelsea emerging.

We go on to get a favourable draw on Saint Patrick's day(because of me)we then go on to win it and people will say "I never saw that coming!".

• Like 2