Borussia Dortmund 1 Chelsea 0

JaneB

Oh good, another Chelsea match… this is genuinely how I feel these days. Just know the inevitable disappointment is coming.

I’ll be listening to the first half on the radio in the car on the way back from coaching my girls team or maybe I’ll just put some music on.

No idea what to expect in this match, I don’t have too many expectations and I do wonder if Potters future will be linked to our progression in this tournament.

No Badiashile, so who partners Silva? Koulibaly wasn’t on the bench yesterday, so maybe it will be Chalobah? Is Chilwell fit enough to start? Probably not, which is a blow.

Kepa

James - Silva - Chalobah - Cucurella

Enzo - RLC

Mount - Felix - Mudryk

Havertz

On 12/02/2023 at 08:11, My Blood Is Blue said:

Oh good, another Chelsea match… this is genuinely how I feel these days. Just know the inevitable disappointment is coming.

I’ll be listening to the first half on the radio in the car on the way back from coaching my girls team or maybe I’ll just put some music on.

No idea what to expect in this match, I don’t have too many expectations and I do wonder if Potters future will be linked to our progression in this tournament.

No Badiashile, so who partners Silva? Koulibaly wasn’t on the bench yesterday, so maybe it will be Chalobah? Is Chilwell fit enough to start? Probably not, which is a blow.

Kepa

Enzo - RLC

Mount - Felix - Mudryk

Havertz

I really get your trepidation, Sam. It's not much fun at the moment, is it?

On 06/02/2023 at 15:08, jasonb said:

seems a big error not including the new CB, Badiashile in the CL squad.

I agree however I assume it removes the temptation not to get some use out of Koulibaly before we bin him in the summer. That or we intend to go three at the back with Cucurella on the left 😆

3 hours ago, Holymoly said:

I agree however I assume it removes the temptation not to get some use out of Koulibaly before we bin him in the summer. That or we intend to go three at the back with Cucurella on the left 😆

I think when he named the squad Badiashile had only played full game so perhaps was undecided on his quality. 

Before the World Cup break Dortmund had a similar run of results as us.

But since then they have been much better. 

So I am certainly nervous. I think Stamford Bridge atmosphere plus we will have had another month to gel the new players and returning from injury players together, should see us good in 2nd leg. But we need to make sure we don't give ourselves our mountain to climb after 1st leg. I'd take a draw. 

1 hour ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Before the World Cup break Dortmund had a similar run of results as us.

But since then they have been much better. 

So I am certainly nervous. I think Stamford Bridge atmosphere plus we will have had another month to gel the new players and returning from injury players together, should see us good in 2nd leg. But we need to make sure we don't give ourselves our mountain to climb after 1st leg. I'd take a draw. 

Yep, I think this is the important thing to remember, this is a two legged match and so a draw in this first leg would be a great result, because as you say, by the time we play the second leg, we should be in a much stronger position.

For me, tomorrow night, due to current form, is all about staying in the tie.

• Like 1

On 12/02/2023 at 08:11, My Blood Is Blue said:

Kepa

Enzo - RLC

Mount - Felix - Mudryk

Havertz

I would probably want to see this too, with Chilwell in for Cucurella, but I have a feeling that caution is going to take over and we will at least start, with 3 at the back.

That would be, at the same time, understandable and unhelpful, in equal measure.

14 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Welcome back the real @asvaberg

I couldn't understand why you hadn't been on here since first logging in a couple of weeks ago.  Now I know!!!

Thanks.

Did my alter ego make any inappropriate posts/comments?

If so, I am a forgivable person 🙂 And I hope you all are too. ❤️

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

Thanks.

Did my alter ego make any inappropriate posts/comments?

If so, I am a forgivable person 🙂 And I hope you all are too. ❤️

He/She didn’t post anything!!!

Not like you at all!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, asvaberg said:

Look out, the Norwegian is back (and I'm not ManC's Haaland) 🙂

A BIG thank you to Sam for getting this forum back online.

True blue! And this DVD is memorable. Hopefully tomorrow will be just as memorable (my optimism, you know)

20230214_194000.JPG

Pleasure, just great to see so many (now including you) find your way back! It’s been a big team effort of everyone trying to hunt down former members.

Given this is away from home, we have no Badiashile, and Chilwell is somewhat likely to be rusty, I think I’d go 3-4-3 for this one…. 

Kepa 

Chalobah.  Silva.  Cucurella 

James.     RLC.    Enzo.     Chilwell 

Felix.     Havertz.    Mudryk 

Was really tempted by Mount due to his work-rate, but probably inclined to give Mudryk a run due to his threat on the counter, and with Chilwell able to push a bit further forward they might be dangerous together, plus I think Mase might benefit from a bit of a rest.  A) because he’s played so much football and B) I have a feeling he will come back with a vengeance and a real point to prove. 

Aim of the game is to be nice and compact and when the times right, let Enzo release the 3 in attack for a breakaway goal or two to take back to the Bridge! 

I really think we will get a result tonight. The worry is the clear importance and impact that Badiashille has had and not having him for this competition. I think the loss of Badiashille means we need to go 3 at the back here. Wouldn’t be surprised to see James in back three with Ziyech in RWB role here . 

I think this type of game will suit us though. When you are struggling creatively and lack cohesion in attack, what you don’t want is to come up against organised teams who don’t want to take many risks.

I don’t think we will have that tonight. Dortmund will want a positive result and play with less fear than many PL opponents. I think this will allow us more space to play in in transitional moments within the game. 
I actually think we will win 1-2 tonight and hopefully see it out at home. I’m actually a little more concerned about the home game and think that could be the tricky one to overcome. 

55 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Spurs got an absolutely glowing write up in the Daily Mail for losing 1-0 away to a side we thrashed last year so regardless of what happens we should come out of it smelling of roses in the press.

And if you believe that...

That game was an abomination. Bordering on Europa Conference League quality. 

Well it seems of late everything has conspired to prevent me from watching Chelsea games live....too early a ko the least of problems...seems all urgent and non moveable appts of late have coincided with games.

Today is no different as procedure for one dog at vet cojoined with a later checkup for the op last week on senior dog..so early delivery to clinic after 4" of snow overnight and still snowing..oh joy!

However asked clinic if the pickup/check up could be before 12 or after 3 so hopefully will get to watch the game live although proviso that if necessary the "bad" time frame will be honoured! 

The game......intriguing if nothing else...no idea how the game will pan out...so many questions..will Jorge be missed (Euro game difference)? What will the back line system and players be? Will the "Young Guns" fly or fumble?..and more.

An aside..completely off subject..veteran drivers up here cope as well as can be expected with the elements but as ever there is a subset of drivers who believe that 4wd is the same as 4w braking..not so...and those are the idiots that get you not so much the road conditions as long as you are sensible...(just to help my still white knuckles regain colour!)

2 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Hope to see Mudryk have a better game tonight. Very early days, but being hauled off again wont do his confidence any good so it's important he shows at least some flashes of ability tonight. 

For those without TV coverage, the match is on Talksport and Radio 5 Live extra.

You do realise, don't you, that Mudryk isn't being "hauled off" but having his minutes managed, given that prior to his first appearance for us against Liverpool on 21st Jan, his last game was on 23rd November, when the Ukrainian season ended?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Hope to see Mudryk have a better game tonight. Very early days, but being hauled off again wont do his confidence any good so it's important he shows at least some flashes of ability tonight. 

For those without TV coverage, the match is on Talksport and Radio 5 Live extra.

Agreed but he cant do it alone, hopefull Chili is back