Those gentlemen in black ...

Blue Moon

Former Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg has resigned from his position as president of the Egyptian Referees Committee after only five months in charge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/64387478

"It is certainly true to say Clattenburg has been the subject of criticism by Zamalek's president Mortada Mansour more or less since he arrived in Egypt as head of the country's referees' committee. Zamalek are one of Egypt's two most famous and powerful clubs, alongside their bitter city rivals Al-Ahly. They have their own TV channel, and Mansour appears on it regularly. Mansour's criticism of Clattenburg has increased in the last few weeks, and has included making allegations of a personal nature. This intensity of Mansour's attacks has coincided with a drop-off in Zamalek's league form, culminating in a defeat by Al-Ahly on Saturday."

5 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

Former Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg has resigned from his position as president of the Egyptian Referees Committee after only five months in charge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/64387478

"It is certainly true to say Clattenburg has been the subject of criticism by Zamalek's president Mortada Mansour more or less since he arrived in Egypt as head of the country's referees' committee. Zamalek are one of Egypt's two most famous and powerful clubs, alongside their bitter city rivals Al-Ahly. They have their own TV channel, and Mansour appears on it regularly. Mansour's criticism of Clattenburg has increased in the last few weeks, and has included making allegations of a personal nature. This intensity of Mansour's attacks has coincided with a drop-off in Zamalek's league form, culminating in a defeat by Al-Ahly on Saturday."

I heard he was running a pyramid scheme 🤭

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
19 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Not sure where to post this.

@Mark Kelly Did you see the Europa Final last night? 😳

No but I heard Jose raging from here , Anthony Taylor and controversy are never too far away from each other , I think it's a scientific issue , the science of Taylor being a bellend.

• Haha 3
  • Disagree 1

I watched the game. Play-acting from both sides. Every foul the ref was surrounded by players demanding a yellow. Both sets of coaches, etc., in the technical area doing the same to the 4th official. I actually thought Taylor did OK under the circumstances. Gave and then (after looking at the monitor) correctly rescinded two penalties - one to each side.  Nothing to do with Taylor being a bell-end, but everything to do with both sides (from top to bottom) behaving like bell-ends.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

I watched the game. Play-acting from both sides. Every foul the ref was surrounded by players demanding a yellow. Both sets of coaches, etc., in the technical area doing the same to the 4th official. I actually thought Taylor did OK under the circumstances. Gave and then (after looking at the monitor) correctly rescinded two penalties - one to each side.  Nothing to do with Taylor being a bell-end, but everything to do with both sides (from top to bottom) behaving like bell-ends.

Yup.  What we saw yesterday was a disgrace to football and both sides should be ashamed.  I'm not an  Anthony Taylor fan, but the play acting and the childish behaviour brought shame on the game.  It was mediocre game between two mediocre teams, Roma are an average side at best, and they would struggle to finish mid table over here, and as for Sevilla, they dived and play-acted their way to victory a few years ago against Inter Milan  I also don't understand why pundits are lauding their achievements, they are European footballs'' ultimate flat track bullies, great in the Europa League, crap in the Champions League, and nothing special in La Liga either.

• Agree 1

That is truly appalling. I worked close to their stadium for several years, and my client refused to take me to matches on grounds of safety - particularly as I “couldn’t conceivably be mistaken for an Italian”. Now I see why.