Squad Status: 2022/23 Season

My Blood Is Blue

I got carried away in the Fulham thread, but this is what we currently have, or are currently borrowing:

GKs (4) - Kepa, Mendy, Bettinelli, Slonina

Defs (10) - Silva, KK, Azpi, Fofana, Badiashile, Cucu, James, Chilwell, Chalobah, Humphreys

Midfield (9) - Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic, Chuk, Gallagher, Mount, Hall, RLC, Zakaria

Att (11) - Havertz, Ziyech, Pulisic, Mudryk, Madueke, Sterling, Broja, PEA, Fofana, Hutchinson, Felix

That's 34 players, and I haven't counted Andrey Santos or Casadei.

Nkunku joins in the summer, then, out on loan who may be first team options, Lukaku, Maatsen, CHO, Sarr, Ampadu, Colwill. 

In way or another, we are going to have to jetison a lot.

Come the summer I'd like the basis of our squad to look like this given what we currently have, or have arriving.

GK: Kepa, Bettinelli, Slonina**
LB: Chilwell, Cucurella
CB: Thiago Silva, W.Fofana, Badiashile, Chalobah, Koulibaly, Colwill**
RB: James, Azpilicueta
DM: Jorginho*
CM: Kovacic, Gallagher, Mount, Chukuemeka, Hall**, Casadei**, A.Santos***
W/AM: Havertz, Mudryk, Sterling, Nkunku, Madueke
ST: Broja**, D.Fofana**

* = Keep Jorginho if we're not able to secure two new DM's. 
** = Loan out for the season. 

Release: Kante, Jorginho*
Sell: Pulisic, Ziyech, Loftus-Cheek, Mendy, Hudson-Odoi, Sarr, Lukaku**
Loan return: Zakaria and Felix (should this clause to buy not be true/price too high). 

** = Sell or loan, whatever has to be done. 

Already a far more dynamic looking side, especially in attack. We sort the midfield with two or three good quality additions, plus find ourselves a backup RB (which we appear to be doing already), and a CF, all of a sudden we're looking a far more equipped side to push up the table and return to the pointy end of things. May not be immediately given the ages of some of these guys but it's hard to see us no trending upwards. 

On 24/01/2023 at 00:07, xceleryx said:

Come the summer I'd like the basis of our squad to look like this given what we currently have, or have arriving.

GK: Kepa, Bettinelli, Slonina**
LB: Chilwell, Cucurella
CB: Thiago Silva, W.Fofana, Badiashile, Chalobah, Koulibaly, Colwill**
RB: James, Azpilicueta
DM: Jorginho*
CM: Kovacic, Gallagher, Mount, Chukuemeka, Hall**, Casadei**, A.Santos***
W/AM: Havertz, Mudryk, Sterling, Nkunku, Madueke
ST: Broja**, D.Fofana**

* = Keep Jorginho if we're not able to secure two new DM's. 
** = Loan out for the season. 

Release: Kante, Jorginho*
Sell: Pulisic, Ziyech, Loftus-Cheek, Mendy, Hudson-Odoi, Sarr, Lukaku**
Loan return: Zakaria and Felix (should this clause to buy not be true/price too high). 

** = Sell or loan, whatever has to be done. 

Already a far more dynamic looking side, especially in attack. We sort the midfield with two or three good quality additions, plus find ourselves a backup RB (which we appear to be doing already), and a CF, all of a sudden we're looking a far more equipped side to push up the table and return to the pointy end of things. May not be immediately given the ages of some of these guys but it's hard to see us no trending upwards. 

Largely agree with this, although Azpi may be toast.

Kante might get 2 months to prove his worth. 

13 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Largely agree with this, although Azpi may be toast.

Kante might get 2 months to prove his worth. 

I'd more or less let Azpilicueta decide on what he wants to do in the summer. I'd be happy to keep him for the final 12 months of his contract as he isn't a hinderance to have in the squad as a whole, but he would need to acknowledge he'd be restricted for playing time. 

Re Kante - I do hope we aren't making a judgement call on whatever games he manages to play between now and seasons end. We need to move on for the good of both parties. 

Looking ahead, this is the current core of the squad:

GK (4): Kepa, Mendy, Bettinelli, Slonina
Full Backs (7): Chilwell, Cucurella, Hall, Maatsen*, James, Azpilicueta, Gusto
Centre Backs: (6) Thiago Silva, W.Fofana, Badiashile, Chalobah, Koulibaly, Colwill*
Midfield (9): Jorginho, Kovacic, Kante, Gallagher, Mount, RLC, Chukuemeka, Casadei*, A.Santos
Forwards: (13) Havertz, Mudryk, Sterling, Nkunku, Madueke, Broja, D.Fofana, Ziyech, Pulisic, Hutchinson, CHO*, PEA, Lukaku*

35 outfield players, ignoring what the club do with Felix and Zakaria, and the potential signing of Enzo. I haven't included players out on loan who have no chance of being part of the first team squad. Those currently on loan have an asterix.

Seeing a few stories saying we're trying to get a work permit for Santos as the club want to use him for the remainder of the season. At 18, fresh from Brazil, he doesn't have the required points from games played, but captaining Brazil U-20s might count toward the "exceptional talent" dispensation.

Notwithstanding our huge spend this year the league is becoming ever more competitive. Twenty years ago it was the Big 4, laterly it became the Big 6 when Spuds and City joined ourselves, United, Scum and Arsenal at the top table. Now with Newcastle getting the backing of the Middle East it is the Magnificent 7. Top managment will become ever more important in order to produce success which has been shown by Pep and Klopp. Hopefully Potter will be able to make the step up otherwise he may end up just holding us back.

On 30/01/2023 at 02:10, paulw66 said:

Looking ahead, this is the current core of the squad:

GK (4): Kepa, Mendy, Bettinelli, Slonina
Full Backs (7): Chilwell, Cucurella, Hall, Maatsen*, James, Azpilicueta, Gusto
Centre Backs: (6) Thiago Silva, W.Fofana, Badiashile, Chalobah, Koulibaly, Colwill*
Midfield (9): Jorginho, Kovacic, Kante, Gallagher, Mount, RLC, Chukuemeka, Casadei*, A.Santos
Forwards: (13) Havertz, Mudryk, Sterling, Nkunku, Madueke, Broja, D.Fofana, Ziyech, Pulisic, Hutchinson, CHO*, PEA, Lukaku*

35 outfield players, ignoring what the club do with Felix and Zakaria, and the potential signing of Enzo. I haven't included players out on loan who have no chance of being part of the first team squad. Those currently on loan have an asterix.

Thanks for the listing...with a bit of flexibility ....I, and probably most of us, could easily "take out" 14/15 players from that list and I have not included the Keepers.

I doubt that every player I consider on my list will move on but it doesn't take too much insight to identify the "surp[us" and not every player would be on my list for negative reasons...Lukaku at one extreme and for example Conor at the other.

An interesting time indeed!

Given we can only make three (3) changes to the Champions Leagues squad it will be interesting which three signings we pick. 

You'd have to imagine it'll be Enzo, Mudryk and Felix. With Badiashile missing out as we've got the options to work around that, even if he has been good since coming into the side. 

On 31/01/2023 at 23:07, xceleryx said:

Given we can only make three (3) changes to the Champions Leagues squad it will be interesting which three signings we pick. 

You'd have to imagine it'll be Enzo, Mudryk and Felix. With Badiashile missing out as we've got the options to work around that, even if he has been good since coming into the side. 

Has to be those 3. You don't pay 11m loan fee to leave Felix out of the CL squad. 

With Fofana nearly back, Badisashile will miss out, but will make sense if he plays the majority of PL games

6 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

CL Squad Update:

In: Mudryk, Felix, Fernandez

Out: Jorginho (sold to Arsenal), Aubameyang (de-listed)

PEA being delisted when Kante, Zakaria and Pulisic are all out injured is just remarkable. 

I'm not saying it is wrong, it shows where he sits in the pecking order. Behind 3 injured players, some of whom may not be fit by the team we have completed the next round, and could already be out

17 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

PEA being delisted when Kante, Zakaria and Pulisic are all out injured is just remarkable. 

I'm not saying it is wrong, it shows where he sits in the pecking order. Behind 3 injured players, some of whom may not be fit by the team we have completed the next round, and could already be out

Turkey beckons 

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Daily Mail reporting that Badiashille (sp) has been left out of the Champions League squad too . Seems a bad decision to me.

So who do you not pick? Mudryk, Felix or Enzo?

With Silva, Chalobah, KK and Fofana back, that is 4 CBs for 2 spots. 

I think the need in attack was greater