Liverpool 1 Chelsea 1

My Blood Is Blue

Thought it was a marked improvement from some of our more recent performances. We looked a lot more dynamic in attack once Mudryk came on, his ability to do a bit of everything really put Liverpool on the back foot for a bit. Goes to show you what good technical quality and some blistering pace can do. If we can add a bit of that on the right hand side, get a bit of extra run and creative in the middle, plus our first choice fullback back, things suddenly look a bit brighter. 

I know Liverpool playing more open benefited us also, so it will be interesting to see just how we go when the game itself is a bit tighter. 

Would also like to single out Gallagher, Jorginho and Cucurella in particular for their strong outings. That was probably Gallaghers best game for us in my books. He has his technical flaws but his energy at both ends and aggressiveness has the capabilities of providing a spark that's often been missed at times. Jorginho provided that poise and calmness, I know he divides opinions and has his limitations but his intelligence tactically really shows. Thought he had a strong defensive game. While it was good to see the version of Cucurella that was more in line with his performances of last season. Doesn't quite have the attacking output of Chilwell but when he has some competent support ahead that can track back effectively it makes a world of difference. Dealt with Salah outside of one or two moments, can't ask much more really. 

Also this highlighted just how far Hall is away from being a genuine midfield option. Spoke about this in the WhatsApp group briefly, but his first touch is incredibly loose at times and you can see tactical naivety. On a few occasions you could see both Mount and Jorginho having to direct him around on where he needed to be. He also looked quite leggy in the first few moments of the second half, not sure if the workload required was too much for him or not but it'll serve him well getting a taste of what's expected. I think a loan next season somewhere where he can get midfield minutes will benefit him massively. 

Anyway, a performance we can build on. Which feels weird saying that given the nature of how things have largely looked this season. 

9 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Thought it was a marked improvement from some of our more recent performances. We looked a lot more dynamic in attack once Mudryk came on, his ability to do a bit of everything really put Liverpool on the back foot for a bit. Goes to show you what good technical quality and some blistering pace can do. If we can add a bit of that on the right hand side, get a bit of extra run and creative in the middle, plus our first choice fullback back, things suddenly look a bit brighter. 

I know Liverpool playing more open benefited us also, so it will be interesting to see just how we go when the game itself is a bit tighter. 

Would also like to single out Gallagher, Jorginho and Cucurella in particular for their strong outings. That was probably Gallaghers best game for us in my books. He has his technical flaws but his energy at both ends and aggressiveness has the capabilities of providing a spark that's often been missed at times. Jorginho provided that poise and calmness, I know he divides opinions and has his limitations but his intelligence tactically really shows. Thought he had a strong defensive game. While it was good to see the version of Cucurella that was more in line with his performances of last season. Doesn't quite have the attacking output of Chilwell but when he has some competent support ahead that can track back effectively it makes a world of difference. Dealt with Salah outside of one or two moments, can't ask much more really. 

Also this highlighted just how far Hall is away from being a genuine midfield option. Spoke about this in the WhatsApp group briefly, but his first touch is incredibly loose at times and you can see tactical naivety. On a few occasions you could see both Mount and Jorginho having to direct him around on where he needed to be. He also looked quite leggy in the first few moments of the second half, not sure if the workload required was too much for him or not but it'll serve him well getting a taste of what's expected. I think a loan next season somewhere where he can get midfield minutes will benefit him massively. 

Anyway, a performance we can build on. Which feels weird saying that given the nature of how things have largely looked this season. 

Yes I agree with much of this. Personally I’ve never had major problems with Cucca or Gallagher because of the energy they produce ( but agree certain technical limitations) . Also agree about Hall. Didn’t see a lot of prospect at left back and saw even less in midfield. But always nice to see an 18 year old get a game, loan is ideal I think. 
But I must say , it does feel weird after one 0-0 game that the whole outlook (on our slightly dimished forum) has gone from placing Potters neck into the guillotine to whipping it out and quickly dusting off his clothes!! Just look at the players he’s had to work with lately. People say he isn’t coaching, well my untrained eye can see he certainly is. That defence was bloody great yesterday. I’m running out of superlatives to describe De Silva . Let’s just appreciate what we are watching while he’s still here. He deserves to be in a team pushing for the title. Atm that’s not us. Please give us another season sir. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Yes I agree with much of this. Personally I’ve never had major problems with Cucca or Gallagher because of the energy they produce ( but agree certain technical limitations) . Also agree about Hall. Didn’t see a lot of prospect at left back and saw even less in midfield. But always nice to see an 18 year old get a game, loan is ideal I think. 
But I must say , it does feel weird after one 0-0 game that the whole outlook (on our slightly dimished forum) has gone from placing Potters neck into the guillotine to whipping it out and quickly dusting off his clothes!! Just look at the players he’s had to work with lately. People say he isn’t coaching, well my untrained eye can see he certainly is. That defence was bloody great yesterday. I’m running out of superlatives to describe De Silva . Let’s just appreciate what we are watching while he’s still here. He deserves to be in a team pushing for the title. Atm that’s not us. Please give us another season sir. 

While Potter was never my preference of manager, it's not been difficult to see that we've got, and have had for quite some time, serious personnel issues that've made things tough. We looked a far more energetic and mobile team, plus then having someone like Mudryk feature really highlights the skillset gulf we've had for years now. Hopefully we'll start to see a few more positive signs with these new guys coming in and providing those missing elements. This may actually allow us to see more of what Potter has in store. 

As long as we continue to see encouraging progress being made, and a bit of effort and desire on the pitch with our performances, I'm not too pressed about the results for the remainder of the season.

10 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Thought it was a marked improvement from some of our more recent performances.

[SNIPPED FOR BREVITY]

Agree wholeheartedly.

As I said in the old forum, I can see us doing well in the CL once we get some of the injured bodies back and the new signings integrated. I think Joao Felix and Mudryk will enjoy playing alongside each other, and could cause other teams serious problems. We're low on confidence, which is why players are snatching at shots, or over-playing things. It just needs a couple of goals to get things rolling and we'll soon start to look much better.

Almost a fortnight between games... luxury! Let's hope Potter and his coaching team use that time wisely and we don't pick up any more silly injuries whilst at Cobham.

2 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Agree wholeheartedly.

As I said in the old forum, I can see us doing well in the CL once we get some of the injured bodies back and the new signings integrated. I think Joao Felix and Mudryk will enjoy playing alongside each other, and could cause other teams serious problems. We're low on confidence, which is why players are snatching at shots, or over-playing things. It just needs a couple of goals to get things rolling and we'll soon start to look much better.

Almost a fortnight between games... luxury! Let's hope Potter and his coaching team use that time wisely and we don't pick up any more silly injuries whilst at Cobham.

The Champions League will be interesting though just because of the limited number of changes we can make to the squad. I do wonder once our January business is done which new faces get registered. This may impact us a bit more compared to domestically. 

5 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

The Champions League will be interesting though just because of the limited number of changes we can make to the squad. I do wonder once our January business is done which new faces get registered. This may impact us a bit more compared to domestically. 

Auba has seemingly been preferred over D Fofana of late (the exception being the FA Cup game against City), so I would imagine the three new signings we'll register are Badiashile, Joaoa Felix and Mudryk. That would require one 'overseas' player from the previous list dropping out. Given injuries (I don't want to go into the ins-and-outs of what he brings or doesn't bring to the team) I would suggest Pulisic.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

No "edit" function, I see. I wanted to change Joaoa to Joao above (my lap top keyboard is full of dust, grit and god knows what from use in fields etc at music festivals and as such some keys stick, others need hitting harder... )

Editing should be working now, but let me know if not.

11 hours ago, xceleryx said:

It will be interesting who we can use. I think we should forget about the league and put all our eggs in the CL basket. We are out of domestic honours. Once we get our players back we will be a force to be reckoned with if we focus on just that. We have done it before a lesser squad than this. Got to be easier than top 4 at this point. 

11 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

It will be interesting who we can use. I think we should forget about the league and put all our eggs in the CL basket. We are out of domestic honours. Once we get our players back we will be a force to be reckoned with if we focus on just that. We have done it before a lesser squad than this. Got to be easier than top 4 at this point. 

Was doing some maths on this. United and Newcastle are currently trending 2 points per game (roughly) which would take them to 76. 

I can't see both getting that high, but let's say to get 4th, or to have a chance, we'd need circa 72 points.......that means we need to get 43 points from 18 games. For context, Arsenal are top with 50 from 19, so we'd effectively need Title winning form to stand a chance.

The interesting thing with the CL, is there are 7 games....you can win 4 of those (ignoring penalties) and win the trophy. By the time we get to Dortmund, and certainly by the time of any potential CL QF, the team could look something like this:

Kepa/Mendy, James, Chilwell, Silva, Badiashile/Fofana, Jorginho/Kova, Kante, Mount/Havertz, Mudryk, Sterling/Madueke, Felix/Havertz,

I realise I have Havertz twice, as he could play the 10 or as the 9 (if nobody else). The bolded players ones were largely or entirely absent for the dismal run of form.  That's 9 potential new options and the bench would be pretty useful too. 

14 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I feel much more confident going forward , it would be nice to start grinding out the wins and put a bit of pressure on Newcastle , United and er Brighton 

away games look tough:

Arsenal, City, United, Spuds and West Ham, 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Was doing some maths on this. United and Newcastle are currently trending 2 points per game (roughly) which would take them to 76. 

I can't see both getting that high, but let's say to get 4th, or to have a chance, we'd need circa 72 points.......that means we need to get 43 points from 18 games. For context, Arsenal are top with 50 from 19, so we'd effectively need Title winning form to stand a chance.

The interesting thing with the CL, is there are 7 games....you can win 4 of those (ignoring penalties) and win the trophy. By the time we get to Dortmund, and certainly by the time of any potential CL QF, the team could look something like this:

Kepa/Mendy, James, Chilwell, Silva, Badiashile/Fofana, Jorginho/Kova, Kante, Mount/Havertz, Mudryk, Sterling/Madueke, Felix/Havertz,

I realise I have Havertz twice, as he could play the 10 or as the 9 (if nobody else). The bolded players ones were largely or entirely absent for the dismal run of form.  That's 9 potential new options and the bench would be pretty useful too. 

I've said it a few times (esp in the old forum)... get back some of our injured players, add the new signings and we suddenly have a very strong squad again (ie a starting XI that others will fear with a strong bench to draw on).

Winning the Champions League is not beyond us.

I agree, the performance was pretty good. It should have been a win though.
Midfield is still pretty lousy, there were hardly any progressive passes in the whole game.

Next game with Mudryk 90 minutes. Game after that Mudryk and Felix. Additionally, some of the injured could come back. Can't wait for it!

9 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Yes top 4 seems a dream doesn’t it. Winning the CL with our best players back is a distinct possibility. And wouldn’t that just piss everyone off?

we know what we are…..!!😄

Just now, NoblyBobly said:

Yes top 4 seems a dream doesn’t it. Winning the CL with our best players back is a distinct possibility. And wouldn’t that just piss everyone off?

we know what we are…..!!😄

Would be the most Chelsea thing ever. 

On 23/01/2023 at 11:47, paulw66 said:

I am growing increasingly confident that we can win the Champions League.

We basically have a new front three and players like Kante and Reece James still to come back. Badiashile has really impressed me; he looks very good on the ball and is aerially dominant.

Liverpool vs Madrid and PSG vs Bayern in the next round so two big teams will be going out early. If we can get key players back and the new forwards develop well I'd be very disappointed if we don't at least make the semi-final stage.

15 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Am glad we didn't buy Gordon

Absolutely crazy to think Everton were demanding what the club paid for Mudryk (add-ons excluded).

If ever you needed proof buying from another Premier League club simply isn't worth it 99% of the time.

Thankfully it looks like we've gone back to focusing on leagues like Ligue 1 where there are talented young players available for relatively low fees.