Mobile Ticketing being tested for this season, to be fully mandatory for 24/25 season

CarefreeMuratcan

FAQ on the website:
https://www.chelseafc.com/en/mobile-tickets-faqs

This season they are going to introduce it as an optional method to the print@home ticket system, as a test run

From next season, it is going to become the only method

This has already been introduced by other PL clubs, it looks like the aim is to eliminate ticket touts once and for all 

Season Ticket cards are going to be phased out as well, Season Tickets will also be via this method

Could touts still get around it? Or people wanting to lend their Season Ticket to a friend? I suppose they could, by sharing their login details of the the mobile ticketing app, but that then introduces a level of trust that makes things far more awkward than the paper ticket/PDF document ticket method

What are everyones thoughts?

There’s not enough detail published as yet to make a well reasoned assessment but with the available information it looks as though this system will make ‘sharing’ a ST more difficult. 

A good few details will need to be shared before we’ll know how restrictive the new system will be. 

Touts and people engaging in less than lawful activity are pretty resourceful and smart, so I expect them to find a way through the systems. If e-tickets can be emailed to people or electronically transferred in some way, then that may be an avenue for both legal and non-legal purposes.

Would also promote use of the ticket exchange, providing more revenue for the club - in my view this may well be the main driver for this. There should also be a saving in ticketing costs for the club.

22 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Could touts still get around it? Or people wanting to lend their Season Ticket to a friend? I suppose they could, by sharing their login details of the the mobile ticketing app, but that then introduces a level of trust that makes things far more awkward than the paper ticket/PDF document ticket method

I guess you can screenshot your ticket and send it to a mate.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

If it's anything like the apps for concert tickets, the screenshot comes out without the QR code. The QR code only lasts for one hour etc

Similar with bus/train tickets here in Norway.

The whole idea with mobile tickets is very interesting (intimidating??) when you think of all the season ticket holders that finance their ST by selling single matches (often the most popular ones). Wonder how this will affect the interest in ST.

36 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

Similar with bus/train tickets here in Norway.

The whole idea with mobile tickets is very interesting (intimidating??) when you think of all the season ticket holders that finance their ST by selling single matches (often the most popular ones). Wonder how this will affect the interest in ST.

It wont make a difference. The Season Ticket, I presume, will be able to deactivated if you sell your ticket. 

Where I struggle with this, is the older generation, some of whom wont have smartphones. If it becomes mandatory, it is not ideal for this demographic

• Like 1

6 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I guess you can screenshot your ticket and send it to a mate.

Just seen @Lump Of Celery cover this, but the technology for screenshots of etickets being identified is in common use already, I'd expect any organisation implementing a mass eticket scheme in 2023 (or 2024) to be well on top of this.

I don't have a huge issue with it, but I tend to give my ST to my neighbour rather than sell it to the one or two times a year I can't go and it does look like that'll be coming to an end.

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Just seen @Lump Of Celery cover this, but the technology for screenshots of etickets being identified is in common use already, I'd expect any organisation implementing a mass eticket scheme in 2023 (or 2024) to be well on top of this.

I don't have a huge issue with it, but I tend to give my ST to my neighbour rather than sell it to the one or two times a year I can't go and it does look like that'll be coming to an end.

But there is a difference between one off tickets for an event, and a season ticket that is used repeatedly 

On 19/09/2023 at 07:30, east lower said:

Would also promote use of the ticket exchange, providing more revenue for the club - in my view this may well be the main driver for this. There should also be a saving in ticketing costs for the club.

Ah this is a good point I didn't consider. Up until now only Season Ticket holders could sell on the exchange, now they might open it up to members too. 

24 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Ah this is a good point I didn't consider. Up until now only Season Ticket holders could sell on the exchange, now they might open it up to members too. 

When I observe the touts that frequently frequent the areas outside the ground they invariably have paper type tickets and not offering out the season-ticket plastic credit-card type.

Therefore the assumption must be that if the ST Holder cannot let a friend/acquaintance take his card in exchange for money, then they can only use the exchange and then the people buying them on the exchange are either the touts themselves or people who have the intension of providing them to touts (scalpers for our American fans).

Other than that it must be members who are buying tickets either from their memberships or the exchange that sell them on. If e-ticketing protocols prevent the screenshotting and passing them on then touts must be worried or already have figured out (from other similar schemes) how they'll make their money.

Could work both ways for the club, by gaining revenue as well as reducing the unauthorised selling on of tickets.

Don't  like the idea much as it's too reliant of technology without a failsafe i.e. phone breaks, screen-cracks prevent a QR/Barcode being read, phone drops/runs out of charge, compatibility issues etc, etc. We're far too damn reliant on phones already without more reliance being forced on us.  

1 hour ago, east lower said:

Don't  like the idea much as it's too reliant of technology without a failsafe i.e. phone breaks, screen-cracks prevent a QR/Barcode being read, phone drops/runs out of charge, compatibility issues etc, etc. We're far too damn reliant on phones already without more reliance being forced on us.  

Yes I must admit I don't like it myself. Since they introduced Print@Home tickets I have always printed them, even though they scan just fine off a phone. 

Although if it stops touts then I'm willing to sacrifice, might potentially make it easier to get a ticket if the touts are out of the picture. 

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, paulw66 said:

But there is a difference between one off tickets for an event, and a season ticket that is used repeatedly 

Well ... Yeah. Not clear what relevance this has to what I said. If the club want to use an eticket system that requires the original eticket and not a screenshot of it for access, the technology is readily available. It doesn't really matter what the nature of that eticket is.

3 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Well ... Yeah. Not clear what relevance this has to what I said. If the club want to use an eticket system that requires the original eticket and not a screenshot of it for access, the technology is readily available. It doesn't really matter what the nature of that eticket is.

well....... currently my ST has a bar code. If that is just to be replicated electronically, and it is the same code for every home game, then I don't see why it couldn't be screenshotted and shared. Different to a code for a one off event / game that has an expiry.

I don't know enough about the tech to be honest. 

4 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

well....... currently my ST has a bar code. If that is just to be replicated electronically, and it is the same code for every home game, then I don't see why it couldn't be screenshotted and shared. Different to a code for a one off event / game that has an expiry.

I don't know enough about the tech to be honest. 

Tbf, we're all guessing what it would look like. I'd personally be surprised if they made the move to eticketing but kept it so basic, not sure what the incentive for the club is when they could easily implement a system that gave them much greater control and revenue. 

Has anyone had their ST and 5th Stand/official website accounts sync up yet?

A mate of mine who has a Palace season ticket has a QR card issued, but you can't take a screenshot of it. It's disabled, like with mobile banking.

He can share his ST for a game, so long as that person has a membership.

Not saying ours will be the same, but interesting to see how it works elsewhere

59 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

A mate of mine who has a Palace season ticket has a QR card issued, but you can't take a screenshot of it. It's disabled, like with mobile banking.

He can share his ST for a game, so long as that person has a membership.

Not saying ours will be the same, but interesting to see how it works elsewhere

Can't you use another phone to take a photo of the screen and share that?