Dogs,Cats and other things that go bump in the night!

chara

Usual Forum whimsicalwandering ..and may it stay so...at a difficult time in my life I had a great little cat, Dylan, that ruled the two dogs like an emperor..the senior dog..a three legged,,one damaged in the womb...Island mutt ruled my then very young to be Legend Pedro but I can still see the little cat in the middle of a dog bed with the boss dog precariously laid on the very edge of the bed grateful for the space!

Dogs hope...cats expect!

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...
On 14/11/2023 at 15:02, chara said:

Usual Forum whimsicalwandering ..and may it stay so...at a difficult time in my life I had a great little cat, Dylan, that ruled the two dogs like an emperor..the senior dog..a three legged,,one damaged in the womb...Island mutt ruled my then very young to be Legend Pedro but I can still see the little cat in the middle of a dog bed with the boss dog precariously laid on the very edge of the bed grateful for the space!

Dogs hope...cats expect!

Depends on the dog! Don't mistake good nature for subservience 😉

4 hours ago, RDCW said:

Depends on the dog! Don't mistake good nature for subservience 😉

Very true...my Legend Pedro was good natured strong minded hard working and loyal as the day is long..non aggressive but on three occasions when faced by overly aggressive attack, (once an attack on the afore mentioned "mutt" )when he took one look at the situation and just took out the attacking dog  without any preamble or posturing quickly neutralised the threat efficiently and quietly but with absolute certainty. and stopped.. I will/would not tolerate an aggressive dog in my life but as with dogs and people I have generally found the real "hard" men are quiet and not given to posturing...my now senior female at 13 was prepared to take on a bear recently some 10 feet from us after it was disturbed rousting out a trash bag in front of our deck last summer..as I type she is between Mrs C and me on the couch with her head on Mrs C's lap,,the epitome of a lap dog...(on the "No dogs on the new furniture" couch) I have two offsprings of Pedro and Jessi...both with the same characteristics....Cash looks like a bigger version of his sire and is a sweetheart all affection and soppy but the same contained response to any threats..we get a lot of coyote activity and they all let me know if anything is about and make it clear to any unseen but heard presence that our property is not a place to be!..Jasper is smaller more self contained and quiet but the essential "gunfighter"..from a young age  self appointed himself as Mrs C's guardian and without any prompting has always gone out and sat by her when she hangs out washing.

Didn't mean to go on so much but it's snowing again and very much a stay in doors day! 

And condolences regarding J.P.R......another giant leaving the pitch.

Added..the kennel names of the two younger dogs...Cash is Mountain Cassidy Cash....Jasper is Mountain Sundance Jasper...Butch and Sundance...the absolute spot on difference!

Just a gesture to stay on topic!,..don't do "Dog Books" (or movies or songs) if I can help it..to quick to tears when they fail to reach the end of a tale  (or movie/song!)

Edited by chara
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, chara said:

Very true...my Legend Pedro was good natured strong minded hard working and loyal as the day is long..non aggressive but on three occasions when faced by overly aggressive attack, (once an attack on the afore mentioned "mutt" )when he took one look at the situation and just took out the attacking dog  without any preamble or posturing quickly neutralised the threat efficiently and quietly but with absolute certainty. and stopped.. I will/would not tolerate an aggressive dog in my life but as with dogs and people I have generally found the real "hard" men are quiet and not given to posturing...my now senior female at 13 was prepared to take on a bear recently some 10 feet from us after it was disturbed rousting out a trash bag in front of our deck last summer..as I type she is between Mrs C and me on the couch with her head on Mrs C's lap,,the epitome of a lap dog...(on the "No dogs on the new furniture" couch) I have two offsprings of Pedro and Jessi...both with the same characteristics....Cash looks like a bigger version of his sire and is a sweetheart all affection and soppy but the same contained response to any threats..we get a lot of coyote activity and they all let me know if anything is about and make it clear to any unseen but heard presence that our property is not a place to be!..Jasper is smaller more self contained and quiet but the essential "gunfighter"..from a young age  self appointed himself as Mrs C's guardian and without any prompting has always gone out and sat by her when she hangs out washing.

Didn't mean to go on so much but it's snowing again and very much a stay in doors day! 

And condolences regarding J.P.R......another giant leaving the pitch.

Added..the kennel names of the two younger dogs...Cash is Mountain Cassidy Cash....Jasper is Mountain Sundance Jasper...Butch and Sundance...the absolute spot on difference!

Just a gesture to stay on topic!,..don't do "Dog Books" (or movies or songs) if I can help it..to quick to tears when they fail to reach the end of a tale  (or movie/song!)

Thanks for sharing that! I currently enjoy the Alaska Homestead Rescue tv series (I always enjoy stuff which is as far removed from my real life as possible) and the homesteaders face just the sort of interesting scenarios you describe. I am a Bullmastiff man, but love nearly all breeds. I have had 8 Bullmastiffs in the past 20 years and they have all been completely different. My first bitch won her class at Crufts and was Best of Breed at the Welsh Kennel Club Championship show. She adored people, but sought to intimidate all other creatures: she would go for anything, from a hamster to a horse. I once took her and my big male Bullie out for a walk off lead on Clapham Common at 2 in the morning (having refreshed myself to an unhealthy degree) and found myself in need of a little nap. I woke to her barking at someone who had had the temerity to come within 50 yards of us, the boy snuggled into my back, she had stood guard over me for 2 hours! 

• Like 2

Don't you just miss them all like crazy?...even after many years...mine... German Wire Haired Pointers (4)( ultimately "my" breed.)..but I've had two Springers, Two Labs,  three generations of "Island" mutts plus two other "mutts" and a Jack Russell...all so different in personality but all so fondly and heartachingly at times remembered from pure bred to questionable background!

If any preference I go for the ladies...just that slightly more personal connection...subtle but warming.... but they all were/are "my" dogs and gave/give me back so much more than I give them and taught me more about dogs ,myself and people than any book!

I find them so fascinating and although a well worn phrase.."The more I know (understand) the more I realise I don't know!"

Modestly I have been called a Dog Whisperer by some who know nothing..totally wrong I most certainly am not ...a Dog Listener is what I think I have managed to aspire to.... different altogether..I'm sure you know what I mean.

Quick story..my first Lab and Springer together running around a deserted park at a late hour...more darkness on my shoulders than that night.....out of the dark the Lab ceased his galloping and quietly came unseen up to me to put his head on my leg and just stood quietly in silent sympathy..I know I cried.

• Like 2

On 11/01/2024 at 21:39, chara said:

Don't you just miss them all like crazy?...even after many years...mine... German Wire Haired Pointers (4)( ultimately "my" breed.)..but I've had two Springers, Two Labs,  three generations of "Island" mutts plus two other "mutts" and a Jack Russell...all so different in personality but all so fondly and heartachingly at times remembered from pure bred to questionable background!

If any preference I go for the ladies...just that slightly more personal connection...subtle but warming.... but they all were/are "my" dogs and gave/give me back so much more than I give them and taught me more about dogs ,myself and people than any book!

I find them so fascinating and although a well worn phrase.."The more I know (understand) the more I realise I don't know!"

Modestly I have been called a Dog Whisperer by some who know nothing..totally wrong I most certainly am not ...a Dog Listener is what I think I have managed to aspire to.... different altogether..I'm sure you know what I mean.

Quick story..my first Lab and Springer together running around a deserted park at a late hour...more darkness on my shoulders than that night.....out of the dark the Lab ceased his galloping and quietly came unseen up to me to put his head on my leg and just stood quietly in silent sympathy..I know I cried.

I cried like a child at the demise of every single one of them. They have both the innocence and viciousness of children😄 . For my part I have always had stronger bonds with the boys. They are less complicated and more attached than the girls. I don't think I have ever been loved more by anyone or anything than I have been by the first 3 Bullie boys I have had! My 4th boy is not a typical Bullmastiff and I haven't yet bonded with him in the same way, but we'll get there!

It's that bond thing that many don't seem to understand...... you can't "buy" it or train it.....earn it perhaps but I have found it simple but not easy or a given,,,I'm sure you know what I mean.

We get a lot of mule deer through and close to the house and the dogs if they are out...someone once asked me why my dogs don't chase deer...and they have that prey drive..."Well.. I asked them not to"...  and they still didn't understand.

Other thoughts...will get back to you!

• Love 1

Mr Williams and I have been having a very pleasant and informative exchange about the dogs that have shared and enhanced our lives...but on the book topic post site...

So,,,hopefully the Mods will allow this topic to afford those of us who have an interest,,I know Mark, apart from being one of the funniest posters on here..is a "dog man" and I'm sure there are others with something to share regarding non human companions and characters.

My first post....,apologies RDCW...I meant to congratulate you on your Crufts triumph....very impressive.

Thanks Sam...now as I was saying to Mr Williams...other thoughts.....Why do some folks seem to think that a puppy/dog comes into their lives understanding English ?

Cats DO understand  any language you care to mention but choose to ignore such efforts to communicate unless it suits them and is to their benefit.

Edited by chara

Reminds me of this:

Instructions for Giving your Cat a Pill
Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of 10.

Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, holding front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold cats head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with its head just visible from below spouse's armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force cat's mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply band-aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

Fetch screwdriver from garage and put door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Throw T-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

Ring fire brigade to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table. Find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Force cat's mouth open with small spanner. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour 1/2 pint of water down throat to wash pill down.

Get spouse to drive you to emergency room; sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye.

Stop by furniture shop on way home to order new table.

Instructions for Giving your Dog a Pill

Wrap it in a piece of bacon.

• Haha 4

@Sciatika, that’s a very true account! Our last dog (a rescued German Shepherd) called Chaz (who we unfortunately lost last October 😢) was epileptic and had to take 9 tablets a day, 5 in the morning and 4 in the evening.  The tablets were pushed into a cheese triangle and he would happily eat them all. We also have 3 cats and even applying the flea killing liquid to the back of their necks requires military precision planning with both me and the wife needed to carry it out. Also the savlon and plasters need to be easily accessible straight after.

• Haha 4

Hi, I’m Sam, also known as My Blood Is Blue, my owner is a black Cat named Coco. She lets me live in her house on the condition that I feed her on command and if I’ve been good she’ll allow me to share her bed at night, until such time that she decides she needs to be outside or just wants to check i’m alive.

• Haha 4

@Ham, that’s the great thing about dogs, they are always pleased to see you even if you only went out and came back 30 seconds later.

Cats on the other hand are normally indifferent to everything unless you’re carrying treats.

• Like 2

Great very relatable posts from everyone...I KNEW I WASN'T ALONE!..The pill challenge.....my Jessi needs two in the morning..thyroid and an optional pain prevention (arthritis.) and another at night...if not disguised ( a chip or cold roast potato piece works).with the artistry of a camo expert.in the small dish she has in the am,,,sort of a rice chicken mix she somehow with surgical precision separates the pills and leaves them in disdain by the side of the dish whilst vacuuming up any single rice grain spilt...the other two when in need of anything are suckers for anything.

I was once shown..and have used...how to basically put the pill on a dog's tongue and then hold it's mouth shut whilst blowing through his nose...works a treat,,,except of course the inherent problem with a large powerful dog perhaps not appreciating the indignity!

Oh and the Sciatka great cat post....the humiliation after returning from A&E watching the cat casually sniff a dropped pill and ingest it with no apparent issues!

• Haha 1

A relatively serious note....reading of @chrisb and his dog's epileptic issues I had what I thought was the same issue with Pedro but eventually worked it out that it was a gluten intolerance issue...took a while as the gluten problems are of somewhat recent awareness generally.... none of his offspring have that problem.

@chrisb.....so distressing...MrsC said she felt so bad for Pedro apart from the fact of the event  because Pedro was such ..in her words...a noble dog and the sheer indignity of it all cut to the soul.

Great photo...we of course have the earlier mentioned "No dogs on the new furniture" couch and chairs !

Mrs C is checking her electronic stuff for suitable pix...watch this space...I for one would love to see the subjects of the posts...(Thank you all for sharing.)

• Like 3