Kepa Arrizabalaga

JaneB

• 1 month later...

Interesting stat that seems to be doing the rounds is that Kepa is one clean sheet away from matching Courtios record for Chelsea, while having made less appearances (147 vs 154). 

Doubt many would've had this on their bingo card. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Interesting stat that seems to be doing the rounds is that Kepa is one clean sheet away from matching Courtios record for Chelsea, while having made less appearances (147 vs 154). 

Doubt many would've had this on their bingo card. 

That's impressive considering Thibaut was in much more dominant Chelsea sides - 2 league winning teams?

Kepa has never been a problem.

Defensively we were shambolic under Lampard, no suprise the keeper was too, and he was made a scapegoat for those that couldn't see how bad we were under the great man.

He's a top quality goalkeeper, maybe not elite, but your talking a small handful who are are and still only 28, a lot of goalkeepers haven't reached their prime by that age so still room for improvement, if not technically, certainly in terms of concentration, decision making and consistency.

2 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Kepa has never been a problem.

Defensively we were shambolic under Lampard, no suprise the keeper was too, and he was made a scapegoat for those that couldn't see how bad we were under the great man.

He's a top quality goalkeeper, maybe not elite, but your talking a small handful who are are and still only 28, a lot of goalkeepers haven't reached their prime by that age so still room for improvement, if not technically, certainly in terms of concentration, decision making and consistency.

Agree with your conclusions except Kepa was a problem at one time as he lost confidence and form as a by product it seems of his private life which doesn't void your last paragraph which is as accurate an analysis as could be..imho.

23 minutes ago, chara said:

Agree with your conclusions except Kepa was a problem at one time as he lost confidence and form as a by product it seems of his private life which doesn't void your last paragraph which is as accurate an analysis as could be..imho.

What private life stuff was that Chara?

I’m so impressed and pleased for Kepa, he has a very impressive mentality. Many would have thrown the towel in and left the club after his drop off in form and losing the number one spot to Caballero and then Mendy, but he stuck with it, believed in himself and has now got himself back in as deserved number 1 and is been putting in some quality performances. Pleased for him last night, finishing the game with armband. Well done Kepa!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Yes, but Courtois' came over 154 games... and it could be argued a "better" and more dominant team (two PL titles in his time with us)

Doesn’t work, Bob. To gain the same number of clean sheets in less games, and with a worse team - particularly defence - is better, not worse. The trophies won by the team seems immaterial in this context - you might argue that Kepa has been let down by the team, and Thibaut had better support from his defence? I don’t get your logic … 

11 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Doesn’t work, Bob. To gain the same number of clean sheets in less games, and with a worse team - particularly defence - is better, not worse. The trophies won by the team seems immaterial in this context - you might argue that Kepa has been let down by the team, and Thibaut had better support from his defence? I don’t get your logic … 

You've misunderstood me... Kepa's achievement shows just how good he is, in spite of what some claim on these forums.
I'm a big fan of Kepa... always have been.

6 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

You've misunderstood me... Kepa's achievement shows just how good he is, in spite of what some claim on these forums.
I'm a big fan of Kepa... always have been.

Aha - got you, Bob. We agree! Glad the lad is getting recognised - never did much like the other feller.

Just now, Blue Moon said:

Aha - got you, Bob. We agree! Glad the lad is getting recognised - never did much like the other feller, although TBH I do feel rather disappointed that Mendy went off the boil.

1 hour ago, Blue Moon said:

Aha - got you, Bob. We agree! Glad the lad is getting recognised - never did much like the other feller.

I met the other fella once. I know some people aren't cut out for those sort of interactions and that's not their fault... I also appreciate how annoying it must be getting approached by a fan you've never met in your life... but he was exactly how you'd expect him to be. I met David Luiz on the same night and he was an absolute gent.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

I met the other fella once. I know some people aren't cut out for those sort of interactions and that's not their fault... I also appreciate how annoying it must be getting approached by a fan you've never met in your life... but he was exactly how you'd expect him to be. I met David Luiz on the same night and he was an absolute gent.

Hmm..as a very very junior member of the Goal Keeper's Union I felt lucky to have met only two prominent keepers...both of whom were as i expected in a very positive sense....The Cat was modest and polite in two very brief exchanges...and the other one I participated in a " coaching clinic" and some social "activity" (took him spear fishing) and was normal and friendly...and Nosey?...I had to ask!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chara said:

Hmm..as a very very junior member of the Goal Keeper's Union I felt lucky to have met only two prominent keepers...both of whom were as i expected in a very positive sense....The Cat was modest and polite in two very brief exchanges...and the other one I participated in a " coaching clinic" and some social "activity" (took him spear fishing) and was normal and friendly...and Nosey?...I had to ask!

Nosey barely said a word the entire time, didn't manage a smile for the picture we took with him and left as soon as he could. The only Chelsea man i've met who was worse was Conte 😂 Mr Luiz looked genuinely happy to see some fans, beaming smile in the picture we took with him, stayed around to chat for a while and when we thanked him for his time replied "honestly guys, it has been my pleasure" - class. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

Nosey barely said a word the entire time, didn't manage a smile for the picture we took with him and left as soon as he could. The only Chelsea man i've met who was worse was Conte 😂 Mr Luiz looked genuinely happy to see some fans, beaming smile in the picture we took with him, stayed around to chat for a while and when we thanked him for his time replied "honestly guys, it has been my pleasure" - class. 

That was my experience with him, too. Couldn't have been friendlier. Same with Mata, Schürrle and Cech, who we met while Chelsea were on tour in Washington DC when we happened to be visiting.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

That was my experience with him, too. Couldn't have been friendlier. Same with Mata, Schürrle and Cech, who we met while Chelsea were on tour in Washington DC when we happened to be visiting.

I can feel a David Luiz moment coming up.  Yes, a clown on the pitch at times, but gifted with incredible charm, humour and generosity.  Loved him.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, JaneB said:

I can feel a David Luiz moment coming up.  Yes, a clown on the pitch at times, but gifted with incredible charm, humour and generosity.  Loved him.

A terrific player when he was on it too. 

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...