Injury News

My Blood Is Blue

7 hours ago, Holymoly said:

It's getting to the point where you ask yourself if he is carrying too much bulk that is causing the injuries.

I just think he's a rather injury prone type of player generally speaking, opposed to his "bulk" being the underlying cause. 

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I read last night that the James injury isn’t serious ad his withdrawal is more a precaution than anything else. This doesn’t stop the fact that he is hideously injury prone. Let’s hope Gusto is decent!

Gusto has a long term injury as we speak.  

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Bit of good news... Broja's recovery is going ahead of schedule.

Good to see, although still don't think he's got much of a future here unless he shows some rapid and significant improvement. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Good to see, although still don't think he's got much of a future here unless he shows some rapid and significant improvement. 

Yeah, I agree. I feel sorry for him as this season was his chance to prove he could cut it here, but ultimately I just don't think he's at the level we need... he'll have a decent career, but I just don't think it's going to be at a top club that wants to compete for trophies and in Europe every year.

• Like 1

On 11/05/2023 at 01:47, xceleryx said:

Has he had the opportunities?

2 PL starts, then injury. Still only 21. 

Edited by paulw66
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Has he had the opportunities?

2 PL starts, then injury. Still only 21. 

For us, no. Injuries killed that pretty quickly. Watching him at Southampon though he was some ways away from really looking good enough for us.

Put it this way, if Broja had no connection to Chelsea and was playing for Bournemouth or something would many advocate for us to sign him based on his body of work so far, let alone see him being good enough to play a role here? I doubt it. 

I like his general profile mind you, but he genuinely feels like he's 3-4 years away from being at a level to properly contribute should he develop.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

For us, no. Injuries killed that pretty quickly. Watching him at Southampon though he was some ways away from really looking good enough for us.

Put it this way, if Broja had no connection to Chelsea and was playing for Bournemouth or something would many advocate for us to sign him based on his body of work so far, let alone see him being good enough to play a role here? I doubt it. 

I like his general profile mind you, but he genuinely feels like he's 3-4 years away from being at a level to properly contribute should he develop.

Spurs fans probably said similar after Kane's pretty ordinary 5 or 6 loans

26 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

True, but Kane is also one of handful who burst onto the scene in the way that he did, in fact if it hadn’t been for injuries then Kane would never have got the games he did that first season… but I just don’t ever see Broja making that kind of impact here, unfortunately.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

True, but Kane is also one of handful who burst onto the scene in the way that he did, in fact if it hadn’t been for injuries then Kane would never have got the games he did that first season… but I just don’t ever see Broja making that kind of impact here, unfortunately.

Based on? 

I think he's worth a shot, but let's see what Poch makes of him. 

4 hours ago, xceleryx said:

But he does have a connection, and that’s worth something to me.  Grew up in Slough and been at Chelsea all his life.   I’d much rather him as our number two striker for a season or two whilst we properly assess his ability than another Michy or Auba for example. 

Besides, you could use that same analogy for Ian Maatsen, Mason Mount, Trevoh Chalobah etc,  we almost certainly wouldn’t be looking to sign any of those, but that doesn’t mean that can’t do a good job.

It’s perhaps only Reece James that on paper many would be in favour of signing if he was elsewhere.   I dare say even a talent like Colwill would be dismissed in favour of someone like Gvardiol or De Ligt.  

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

And he's the exception not the rule. 

Much like you can't just pluck a striker from non-league football and expect them to be Vardy.

45 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Based on? 

Based on what I’ve seen of him over the last couple of years. He doesn’t strike me as someone who’s going to be one of the top strikers in world football for a long period of time (like Kane). I think he has some good attributes, but from what I saw at Southampton and the brief glimpses we’ve had of him in a Chelsea shirt, he doesn’t look like a proper natural finisher at this level.

I would love to be proved wrong on this, but my gut just says he isn’t our Kane.

What makes you think he is?

1 minute ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

What makes you think he is?

I never said he is or think he is. 

Just two premier league starts isn't enough to go on. 

If it was Kane but 10 years behind I'd expect you to say the same thing..... Average loan at Millwall / Norwich etc.... 

There was nothing at the same point that would have made anyone think Kane was going to do what he did. 

All I'm saying is that I think he should get a chance. So unfortunate he has been injured at a time we desperately need a striker. 

8 minutes ago, Rob B said:

But he does have a connection, and that’s worth something to me.  Grew up in Slough and been at Chelsea all his life.   I’d much rather him as our number two striker for a season or two whilst we properly assess his ability than another Michy or Auba for example. 

Besides, you could use that same analogy for Ian Maatsen, Mason Mount, Trevoh Chalobah etc,  we almost certainly wouldn’t be looking to sign any of those, but that doesn’t mean that can’t do a good job.

It’s perhaps only Reece James that on paper many would be in favour of signing if he was elsewhere.   I dare say even a talent like Colwill would be dismissed in favour of someone like Gvardiol or De Ligt.  

The point was to highlight his footballing ability isn't at a level that would make him an attractive proposition for Chelsea FC if he wasn't already ours. Whether he's a Chelsea lad or not is completely irrelevant when it comes down to the nitty gritty of potential, present ability, and so on.

What we do know is that he looked miles off it at Southampton and that was only twelve months ago. He's certainly not made any progression on that this season because of an unfortunate injury, so really he's no closer to looking any more viable. 

If we analyse what we've got in front of us we've got a young player (22 in September) returning from serious injury, has been criticised for his work ethic at one point, demonstrated serious tunnel vision and a detrimental amount of selfishness around goal, an underwhelming presence on the ball in terms of his link play, passing and ability to get others and himself involved within general play, isn't particularly creative, and with defensive effort being a bit hit and miss. While it's TBD on whether or not he's lost that burst of pace that was one of his more attractive qualities.

Now, Broja may well go on to be a good player down the line (his general profile is appealing),  but as I said last season he genuinely looks several years away to play any meaningful role here and has a vast amount of improvement to make. Whether that happens, and if it's enough for the level we aspire to get back to, only time shall tell. 

Right now he needs to play regular football that's the most important thing if he stays.

Based on? 

I recall comparing aspects of his game to Diego Costa, particularly a few performances for Albania and Southampton. 

There was a period where he was building a real reputation for himself but then he returned to Chelsea and got injured in a pointless friendly. 

I never said he is or think he is. 

Just two premier league starts isn't enough to go on. 

If it was Kane but 10 years behind I'd expect you to say the same thing..... Average loan at Millwall / Norwich etc.... 

There was nothing at the same point that would have made anyone think Kane was going to do what he did. 

All I'm saying is that I think he should get a chance. So unfortunate he has been injured at a time we desperately need a striker. 

I agree he deserves a chance, but I do think that should be out on loan and not with us next season. He needs regular game time to properly recover from the injury. Keep him at the club next season and nobody will benefit IMO as he won’t see the game time he needs.

58 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I agree he deserves a chance, but I do think that should be out on loan and not with us next season. He needs regular game time to properly recover from the injury. Keep him at the club next season and nobody will benefit IMO as he won’t see the game time he needs.

Spot on. Involve him in some of the pre-season, then find a club where he's likely to feature regularly just to get him playing again. Sat on the bench here won't benefit anyone (and yes, he may end up sitting on the bench elsewhere, too, but if those charged with loaning players out do their job properly, any bench time ought to be solely down to Broja just not being good enough rather than the club messing up a loan).

• 2 weeks later...