Injury News

My Blood Is Blue

If we can get James and Chilwell on to the bench for Fulham, I will be delighted! As much as I want to see them back in the team, I really do hope we gently ease them back in, otherwise we risk seeing them out again in the not to distant future.

Off the bench vs Fulham and West Ham and if they're ready, then they start against Dortmund, but only IF they are ready.

• Like 2

Christopher Nkunku injury:

Since Nkunku is pretty much a Chelsea player now, I think it would be interesting to share an update about his injury.

Nkunku injured his knee back in mid-november in a training session for the France NT just a week before the World Cup. We managed to get a video of his injury which occurred during a tackle against Camavinga. Nkunku's left knee was forced outwards(varus stress) which is a concerning mechanism for the lateral collateral ligament. RB Leipzig soon enough confirmed the diagnosis, LCL sprain for Nkunku with him expected to be sidelined for 6-8 weeks. The timeline suggests a Grade 2 sprain(partial tear of the ligament). 

Forward to present day, Nkunku is back training but looks like he's not match ready yet. The reported timeline of 6-8 weeks has passed, so what's wrong? 

Any injury to the LCL is rarely an isolated injury. The LCL is part of a complex part of the knee and any injury could also include surrounding structures. Also, a lot depends on rehab and setbacks. 

Conclusion - I expect him to be back sooner rather than later.

*Note - Reece James initial injury(suffered back in Milan) was also a likely Grade 2 LCL sprain.

Nkunku.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Being reported that Kante is on track to return by the end of February. 

Should this happen it'll be interesting to see how he looks as a player post-injury.

I feel like he may well come back stronger than the period before his time out. I think he's finally getting his body properly fixed, because for so long he's been playing through niggles and knocks, which cannot have been good for him.

33 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I feel like he may well come back stronger than the period before his time out. I think he's finally getting his body properly fixed, because for so long he's been playing through niggles and knocks, which cannot have been good for him.

I'm pretty skeptical in all honesty. 

He hasn't kicked a ball since August and will be 32 once March rolls around. Tack on that the bulk of injuries have knee and muscle related, that doesn't bode particularly well for a player that has a playing style that's energetic and comprises heavily of hard running on both sides of the ball - even if fully recovered. If he can't continue to do these things to a high enough level to make him impactful, then I'm not too sure there's enough else in his locker to fall back on to remain as pivotal as he has been. I mean we were already seeing his league influence wane over the previous 12-18 months as it was. 

6 hours ago, paulw66 said:

If we get a largely fully fit squad for the run in, the starting XI and options off the bench will be like an entirely different animal.

This last year has been nothing short of mental.

I've gone from abject fear of losing my club altogether and then onto the excitement of the new ownership and back to absolute misery with the injuries and our recent form and I'm back to childish excitement again at the prospect of seeing a new, young and attacking Chelsea.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Ham said:

This last year has been nothing short of mental.

I've gone from abject fear of losing my club altogether and then onto the excitement of the new ownership and back to absolute misery with the injuries and our recent form and I'm back to childish excitement again at the prospect of seeing a new, young and attacking Chelsea.

Same here... and I'm pretty sure that goes for everybody in this forum.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Unless he signs a new contract he should be kept out of the squad.

He's gone right down in my estimation doing a Christensen.

All media reports suggests he is settled at Chelsea, want to stay and it's all about contract length. This will be the last big deal of his career so it makes sense he wants to get it right.

Denying yourself the option of a healthy Kante is the definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face.