Six Nations 2023

Holymoly

Bear with me, being a devout Welshman who hasn't lived there for 45 years but has to live surrounded by Jocks day in day out.

The PC brigade have ruined my enjoyment of the occasion already by banning the singing of Delilah as it "promotes violence against women". Seriously?

I suppose I should be grateful that I was able to live the majority of my life unencumbered by the rules we now have to live by as decided by the snowflake generation that seems to run the world. Of course one could argue that the point at which feelings now trump truth and/or facts was the point that that allowed the likes of Putin's Russia to hold the overly politically correct West hostage to fate as they are unable to formulate a response that doesn't offend someone.

Anyway back to the games. Ireland to beat Wales, England beating Scotland and France to overcome an improving Italy.

Yep it is a bad joke, never heard anyone sing that line about the knife and think it is a really good tune. 

These ultra-progressive types are really annoying.

Through a social group I used to go to was a chap that does Morris dancing and used to think I was a nutcase about politics until the PC brigade went after the black-faced Morris dancer that was meant to represent the Moor from centuries past. He got upset about it yet then they changed the face to green.  Hopefully something happens like this with the Welsh anthem.

15 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Bear with me, being a devout Welshman who hasn't lived there for 45 years but has to live surrounded by Jocks day in day out.

The PC brigade have ruined my enjoyment of the occasion already by banning the singing of Delilah as it "promotes violence against women". Seriously?

I suppose I should be grateful that I was able to live the majority of my life unencumbered by the rules we now have to live by as decided by the snowflake generation that seems to run the world. Of course one could argue that the point at which feelings now trump truth and/or facts was the point that that allowed the likes of Putin's Russia to hold the overly politically correct West hostage to fate as they are unable to formulate a response that doesn't offend someone.

Anyway back to the games. Ireland to beat Wales, England beating Scotland and France to overcome an improving Italy.

Yes definitely, looking forward to them, but please keep the politics out.  New forum but same rules.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Good thing about our game being tomorrow is being able to watch all the rugby at the weekend uninterrupted.

Mrs MBIB’s birthday yesterday, so we’re out for dinner on Saturday, meaning I’ll miss Englands match… it’s just a coincidence apparently.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ham said:

I'm praying that Sweet Caroline contains something deeply racist, sexist, misogynistic and/or homophobic 🙏

Of course it does.....you only need to want it to...I ask you,,hands?..(working chaps) touching?...Caroline one gender reference only?

Come on Ham,,,wake up (smile)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Delilah is actually a biblical reference apparently. Just a matter of time before the OT is withdrawn.

Except the biblical Delilah never got a knife in the back, or indeed anywhere else. Poetic licence, I suppose … 

Results aside I really missed Eddie Butler on commentary today. Hopefully the BBC can find someone else to slip into his shoes. In contrast the ITV commentators are so grating and "commercial". Dallaglio especially is probably the personification of why the other nations dislike England so much. Notwithstanding his success on the pitch he is so arrogant and unable to provide an objective overview of the game, giving little praise to the opposition when England are playing. Eddie Butler, like Bill McLaren before him, was able to rise above nationhood and find beauty in the game itself. Don't even get me started on Mark Pougatch he can't, and never will, hold a candle to Gabby Logan.

Wish me luck today up against the Jocks. If they beat us I'll be patronised to within an inch of my life and if Wales win the Mrs HM won't speak to me for a week. That it coincides with Chelsea's next step on the road to redemption could make today a bit depressing, or not. Let's go with "or not"! Wins for Wales and CFC. Hurrah!!

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JaneB said:

@Holymoly

@RDCW

You two ok? 🤭

Not really, but thanks for asking!

Welsh rugby is at a similarly low ebb as Chelsea FC!

Believe it or not there is much more hope for the Blues than there is for the Welsh! Welsh rugby is doomed until there is root and branch reform.....which isn't going to happen any time soon. Depressing times for a Chelsea Welshman!

Edited by RDCW

27 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Not really, but thanks for asking!

Welsh rugby is at a similarly low ebb as Chelsea FC!

Believe it or not there is much more hope for the Blues than there is for the Welsh! Welsh rugby is doomed until there is root and branch reform.....which isn't going to happen any time soon. Depressing times for a Chelsea Welshman!

I understand if you don’t want to discuss it, but what’s gone wrong?  And weren’t they going on strike?

3 hours ago, JaneB said:

@Holymoly

@RDCW

You two ok? 🤭

You had to ask. I'd just about got over it. Now I'm back in the depths of depression with the Spuds game to round the weekend off nicely. I suppose I can still look forward to the febs losing to Ireland and France 🙂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Seriously though thanks for asking 👍

2 hours ago, JaneB said:

I understand if you don’t want to discuss it, but what’s gone wrong?  And weren’t they going on strike?

I have no intention of rubbing any salt in the wounds but it looks like both sides close to Mr William's heart have no affinity with strike.💔

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, JaneB said:

The WRU is a pretty corrupt, self-serving, archaic, sexist (a current review is underway following allegations of serious misconduct on the part of WRU officials) and ineffectual institution which has not looked after the game in Wales. They have presided over a gradual decline at both grass roots (where football has overtaken rugby union as the most popular sport in Wales) and in the professional regions. They have also not looked after the contracts of the top professionals in the game - members of the Welsh team, to the point that the players had no idea whether they had a job in the coming months, or if so, how much they would earn. The whole thing is a shambles and is made worse by the intrinsic parochialism of the Welsh regions and historical county and club sides. It will take the equivalent of a Churchillian leader to dig them out of this.

Wales has always triumphed in spite of the game's administrators and facilitators rather than because of them, but if the damage continues fewer players will be produced and there will be no way back.

• Like 3

@RDCW

Oh my goodness, I didn’t realise things were that bad.  I’ve always thought of Welsh rugby as being at the pinnacle of the game.
I like watching rugby union but don’t know a lot about what goes on otherwise.

Thanks for taking the time to explain.