Todd Boehly, Bedad Eghbali and the (new) Chelsea Board

Max Fowler

How do you feel about the owners?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you currently sit?

• Not happy with Clearlake and want them out.
    • Actively want the owners out and am willing to protest.
    • Still comfortable with Clearlake, but want them to replace Boehly and Eghbali.
    • Happy to stay with Clearlake, but want them to get some former players on the board/advising.
    • Want to give them more time, it’s too early to tell if their plan is working.

This poll is closed to new votes

35 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

They’ve got year 1 wrong in so many ways and in so many areas, however, without them we’d have no club, so for that I will always be thankful.

Personally, year 2 is where I will really be judging them as in their defence, they took over a club that had been very badly damaged at the hands of the UK government and it meant they were starting well on the back foot, so I do think we need to allow them a little time.

That said, they made some early errors that only compounded the issues we had due to the sanctions we had faced and that was to dismantle so much of the existing structure in terms of the running of the club. The fact they got rid of some key people that had previously been involved in our transfer dealings before the transfer window was absolute madness. In hiring Potter, they thought they were smarter than they were and didn’t really appreciate the important of a head coach, in my opinion, but they seem to have learnt from that based on the fact they don’t want to rush this next appointment.

As I say, year 2 is where I feel we can really judge them as the changes they’ve been making will have had time to settle in and they’ve had a whole year to learn about how all this works and that should be more than enough time for people like them.

They don't get much credit from me for "saving" the club, Sam. We were never in any real danger of going to the wall; so many people would have been interested in the club. What they have done since has exhibited the very worst kind of arrogance and ignorance. Let's hope they are smarter than they have shown so far and are capable of learning from their mistakes, otherwise we are destined for a protracted period of Leeds-like obscurity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RDCW said:

They don't get much credit from me for "saving" the club, Sam. We were never in any real danger of going to the wall; so many people would have been interested in the club. What they have done since has exhibited the very worst kind of arrogance and ignorance. Let's hope they are smarter than they have shown so far and are capable of learning from their mistakes, otherwise we are destined for a protracted period of Leeds-like obscurity.

Yeah, I know what you mean and I do agree. I guess what I mean is that I’m thankful to them in as much as I would be to whoever took over. Not in a ‘knight in shining armour’ way.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Bison said:

Do you think Boehly-Clearlake are embarrassed about their debut season? I really hope they are.

They'll not be happy, let's just say that much. 

In saying that I felt we were always going to be bad this season, maybe not quite this bad, but certainly bad enough to where we'd be outside the top 4-6 places. The prospect of going backwards to go forward was quite a real probability, and that's kinda what we're seeing.

There's been so much upheaval and change for just one season alone, and while ownership may not have gotten every decision correct (firing Tuchel for Potter for example), but they have a vision of how they want things to operate and that's simply going to take time before we can judge properly. In the mean time though it's still imperative we remain competitive at the top end of the table in the process.

Next season will hopefully gives us a bit of clearer idea of where things are really at. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Next season will hopefully gives us a bit of clearer idea of where things are really at. 

Agreed

This next coaching appointment has to be the right one

It might also be a case of TB & Eghbali taking on board some LL and stepping away from the limelight and go back to something like the Roman model of little participation with the media

40 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Agreed

This next coaching appointment has to be the right one

It might also be a case of TB & Eghbali taking on board some LL and stepping away from the limelight and go back to something like the Roman model of little participation with the media

So what if the next appointment is Frank?

35 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Maybe. But my question was what if it is?

Probably one of the following

Rinse and repeat per his last management stint.

Or

RDM duration as head coach

What is becoming clear is that TB has partners who he answers to, although they are in it for the long term, they want the club to remain at the highest level. I be very surprised if we will ever see such chaotic season again under this ownership.  

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

There is more change of me agreeing with @kev61 than frank being the next permanent head coach. :0)

I'm mortally wounded by those remarks.I refuse to go out of my house until you retract those comments!.

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that the only way to get today’s uber rich young players to turn up and put in a proper graft, is to have a raging maniac in charge like a TT, Conte, Jose or Simeone character. They just don’t get off their waxed backsides for the “nice” managers. Inevitably, it is a short term ploy, but that hasn’t stopped us in the last 20 years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McCreadie said:

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that the only way to get today’s uber rich young players to turn up and put in a proper graft, is to have a raging maniac in charge like a TT, Conte, Jose or Simeone character. They just don’t get off their waxed backsides for the “nice” managers. Inevitably, it is a short term ploy, but that hasn’t stopped us in the last 20 years.

I think you're absolutely right , they need someone to put an arm around them , well ,  their throats and choke them out so they do as they're told whilst simultaneously screaming in their faces to give them some focus .

Otherwise we get what we got yesterday .

Its a shame we can't drop them all for Madrid see how they like those image rights.

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

I'm mortally wounded by those remarks.I refuse to go out of my house until you retract those comments!.

You lucky lucky badstrart, living a house?

I am still living in a hole in the ground covered by tarpaulin  

24 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

It's a pipe dream.uber rich young players are just that- rich.

The Arabs hold all the cards.They can just bring out the cheque  book and buy any player in the  world.

It doesn't always work,but it is a massive advantage.

14 minutes ago, ROTG said:

You lucky lucky badstrart, living a house?

I am still living in a hole in the ground covered by tarpaulin  

Well, if you are ever around my gaff we have a very good waterproof  shed you can use.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think you're absolutely right , they need someone to put an arm around them , well ,  their throats and choke them out so they do as they're told whilst simultaneously screaming in their faces to give them some focus .

Otherwise we get what we got yesterday .

Its a shame we can't drop them all for Madrid see how they like those image rights.

This. Much more eloquently put than I managed! 

34 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

I was evicted from my hole in the ground. I'm now living in a lake.

There is a song around here - "there's a hole at the bottom of the lake" is that you? Just messing😉

2 hours ago, Proud-Blue said:

A slightly different topic, but I am very fond of the current ownership. The group I am vice chair of has a very good relationship with them personally and the club more broadly. A lot of this is related to EDI and anti-discrimination work and I certainly have no knowledge of things like incoming signings, we've had lovely conversations with them. They're an absolute pleasure to work with on these issues and the club has been brilliant.

Regarding the sporting side, I think the intentions of the ownership are good. I also think, contrary to popular belief, that there is a plan. The problem is that so far it has not worked as intended. For me, the biggest error is the belief that both the manager AND the players had to be young, up and coming, with enormous potential, that will be sustainable for years to come. On paper, it makes sense. Why not just spend now, circumvent changes to FFP, and create a squad for the long term?

However, personally, I think a lesson from this is that a proper transition needs to be done with an experienced hand. It does sound like things were irreparable between certain players, the owners, and Tuchel. We'll never know for sure what was going on. But rushing to appoint Potter was a definite mistake with that much instability. The next move needs to be appointing someone with proven quality and experience managing difficult players. They will definitely have a smaller squad to deal with.

Overall, I think we can call a lot of this naivety and a learning experience for them.  But they NEED to get this next managerial appointment right or we could have some serious long-term problems. I'm glad they're taking their time to do so.

But the mistakes they have made were crass and predictably doomed to fail. More worryingly they point to an entrenched arrogance and ignorance. I hope they have learned the lesson of the Socratic paradox of knowledge, or at the very least, the self knowledge of Jon Snow!

Edited by RDCW

1 hour ago, exiledblue said:

0-3 against RM! I hope Todd realises his lack of striker in the last 2 markets means we cant even score 1. Forget the million other names he is linked to if one is not a top striker his investment is bombing with our team.

You seem to have forgotten, the clubs new sports department with that Brighton feeling, brought a top rated striker from the Norway league.  If memory serves me the last strike they brought was Maupay :0(

2 hours ago, ROTG said:

You seem to have forgotten, the clubs new sports department with that Brighton feeling, brought a top rated striker from the Norway league.  If memory serves me the last strike they brought was Maupay :0(

I am guessing David Fofana is not in the CL squad, I also dont understand why he is not being used in the prem.

47 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

I am guessing David Fofana is not in the CL squad, I also dont understand why he is not being used in the prem.

Correct.

We could add 3 of the new signings to the CL squad, so long as we could find room for them. We had one place spare before the transfer window. We then sold Jorginho, thereby freeing up another space, and finally Aubameyang - who had previously been in the CL squad - was dropped from the A List. This allowed Mudryk, Felix and Enzo to be included.

D Fofana and Badiashile (amongst others) missed out.