Todd Boehly, Bedad Eghbali and the (new) Chelsea Board

Max Fowler

How do you feel about the owners?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you currently sit?

• Not happy with Clearlake and want them out.
    • Actively want the owners out and am willing to protest.
    • Still comfortable with Clearlake, but want them to replace Boehly and Eghbali.
    • Happy to stay with Clearlake, but want them to get some former players on the board/advising.
    • Want to give them more time, it’s too early to tell if their plan is working.

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

It sounds like a painful divorce to me with some dirty laundry being aired.

Yep ... I wasn't that surprised to see the headline's use of the word "revealed" wasn't followed up with anything actually being revealed in the story. That his wife simply received "a call" and isn't willing to comment on isn't the firmest basis for a story, either.

Maybe he did something absolutely awful, doesn't seem anyone is ever going to say anything you can actually put any weight on, though.

4 hours ago, xceleryx said:

So this doesn't really tell us anything more than we already kinda knew. I don't think a single clued on person really believed Tuchel was fired based on performances alone. 

The loss of respect by players is also an old take, but still seems an odd angle given the amount of support Tuchel got from our several of our bigger named  players on social media once everything happened. 

Yes I actually removed the "Oh wow" in my edited post after having read the entire article carefully. 

4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

It sounds like a painful divorce to me with some dirty laundry being aired.

Which divorce are you referring to? 

With the wife or the club?

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I really wish Boehly would stop with these stupid comments to fans after games. He's not wrong, the weekend was a "sh*t f*cking game". However, it doesn't sit right with me having the face of the ownership making those comments. It all feels a bit unprofessional and I yearn for the stoic silence of the Roman era. 

12 hours ago, FrankLampard8 said:

I really wish Boehly would stop with these stupid comments to fans after games. He's not wrong, the weekend was a "sh*t f*cking game". However, it doesn't sit right with me having the face of the ownership making those comments. It all feels a bit unprofessional and I yearn for the stoic silence of the Roman era. 

Ha! I'm glad he showed some emotion.It shows there is a possibility that he is becoming disillusioned with the drivel we are seeing on the pitch.

If Todd was watching Conte's meltdown he might think...you know what maybe this guy has a point!.

I think it's inevitable Boehly and clearlake will change direction on who should manage the team, otherwise they will fail.

On 20/03/2023 at 14:49, FrankLampard8 said:

and yet there were often cries from fans that they wished he spoke up, particularly during bad times, or when managers were fired. 

7 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

There's a lot that I yearn for from the Roman era! Like believing that the club, and Roman, knew what they were doing!

Yes and no.

We hadn't seriously challenged for the league since 2017, and the last 5 years, the success rate of the signings made by the ole regime was pretty low.  Terrible, in fact. 

Whilst I don't agree with everything the new lot have done, and let's be honest, the manager is the biggest question mark; at least, after getting his recruitment team in place, the signings have all been young players, and there is a long term strategy. How many of them come off is another matter but I'd much rather that approach than spending big money on players who won't improve or have a resale value. 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting time ahead on how the Owners will react going forward. Do the continue down the GP philosophy of build for the future with a better coach or do the revert back to the RA model, of hiring proven winners and replace them every couple of years?

6 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Interesting time ahead on how the Owners will react going forward. Do the continue down the GP philosophy of build for the future with a better coach or do the revert back to the RA model, of hiring proven winners and replace them every couple of years?

Logic would say a proven manager will step up.Potter was a failed experiment that  backfired.

If you put all the jigsaw pieces in place I think Conte is the man for at least a 2 year contract.

On 21/03/2023 at 03:14, kev61 said:

Ha! I'm glad he showed some emotion.It shows there is a possibility that he is becoming disillusioned with the drivel we are seeing on the pitch.

If Todd was watching Conte's meltdown he might think...you know what maybe this guy has a point!.

I think it's inevitable Boehly and clearlake will change direction on who should manage the team, otherwise they will fail.

Seems about right to me.The problem is, will Boehly and co try to claw back their investment to the detriment of our club?

Man utd  shouts loud to me.

2 hours ago, ROTG said:

I think they'll still look to build for the future but maybe doing it with a more established manager that's got a bit more pedigree at the top.

don't think current ownership have suddenly changed to a "win now at all costs" vision, but there is obviously a minimum standard that needs to be achieved and that's something Potter massively fell short of in a variety of areas. 

2 hours ago, kev61 said:

Logic would say a proven manager will step up.Potter was a failed experiment that  backfired.

If you put all the jigsaw pieces in place I think Conte is the man for at least a 2 year contract.

If that ever happened I'd stop watching until he left. Conte is nasty work. 

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

They should be, the fall from grace has been monumental. 

Data led approach, smartest guys in the room, proven track record of owning successful sports teams etc etc..turns out it was all nonsense.

7 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

The thing that really rankles with me is the remarks they made about inheriting a bit of a mess. 

That was hubris at its absolute worst. Even if you believed that to be true you don't say it.

29 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

The thing that really rankles with me is the remarks they made about inheriting a bit of a mess. 

In fairness to them (I think they're idiots but) they did quantity that by saying that everyone had just downed tools whilst the sanctions were going on, given up so to speak which was unforgivable considering the players were giving it everything at the time ( halcyon days where effort is concerned) 

Most of Cleatlake are here to make money. They are business men so I have no problem with that.  Boehly is different though. He is a genuine sports fan and this is his club, so I have no doubt he is not only embarrassed but also hurting and will be even more determined to put things right.

He has made an absolute pig's ear of his first year, but nobody can question  his effort and working his butt off to try and make us successful.  I always say we win as a club and lose as a club. This dire season is not just down to our inept owners. Owners, managers, coaches and players are all equally to blame for this shambles. 

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

In fairness to them (I think they're idiots but) they did quantity that by saying that everyone had just downed tools whilst the sanctions were going on, given up so to speak which was unforgivable considering the players were giving it everything at the time ( halcyon days where effort is concerned) 

Not the quotes I'm thinking of. Eghbali was more generally critical. Apparently we weren't "terribly well managed" on the "footballing" or "sporting" fronts.

@Bison has it right, for me. Keep your mouth shut until you understand what you're talking about, and until you're performing yourself. I can imagine there were broader structural problems with how we were run. It's less the criticism and more the fact that early on he's willing to go on our record saying this to a journo that makes me think he's a bit of a prat.

I think there's two main ways to respond to a humbling, an embarrassment. You accept you messed up and work hard to learn, or you double-down. We're all hoping for the former. I still worry about the latter.

• Like 1

They’ve got year 1 wrong in so many ways and in so many areas, however, without them we’d have no club, so for that I will always be thankful.

Personally, year 2 is where I will really be judging them as in their defence, they took over a club that had been very badly damaged at the hands of the UK government and it meant they were starting well on the back foot, so I do think we need to allow them a little time.

That said, they made some early errors that only compounded the issues we had due to the sanctions we had faced and that was to dismantle so much of the existing structure in terms of the running of the club. The fact they got rid of some key people that had previously been involved in our transfer dealings before the transfer window was absolute madness. In hiring Potter, they thought they were smarter than they were and didn’t really appreciate the important of a head coach, in my opinion, but they seem to have learnt from that based on the fact they don’t want to rush this next appointment.

As I say, year 2 is where I feel we can really judge them as the changes they’ve been making will have had time to settle in and they’ve had a whole year to learn about how all this works and that should be more than enough time for people like them.

• Agree 2