Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

Nagelsmann feels like the right choice at this point, he fits the mould that I believe the owners are after, a young up and coming manager who can build a young team and will help them to develop the way the footballing setup is run in the club. He has a good relationship with Vivell from their time together and we know the owners likes the way RB clubs are setup and are keen to replicate it in some way.

It will still require patience from us fans, but for me personally as long as we’re seeing development and improvement the patience can be there.

If we were after more instant success and trophies, then from that list I’d run my finger down and stop at Jose.

My choice is exactly the same as Sam's for exactly the same reasons and also funnily enough Jose in second place . I think Nagelsmann has all the ingredients the board require and is relatively young so could well be here for a while. 

However , I fear that he's going to wait and see what happens with Madrid in the summer before he commits which would be terrible from our perspective as we need someone to get a head start sorting Potters mess out.

• Like 2

Nagelsmann without a doubt. 

I watched him take over Hoffenheim when they were second bottom in February and keep them up. Next season he took them to 4th, the following season 3rd and into the champions league for the first time in their history. It's was unbelievable what he did and the buzz and excitement around him was incredible.

When he went to Leipzig he got them to the semi final of the champions league, when they have never been out the group stage before and that season, they were utterly brilliant to watch.

Bayern this year have been superb, they had a little wobble, that coincided with Dortmund winning 11 odd games in a row, but still only lost 3 out of 37, scored 112 goals in those games and won 8/8 in the champions league. They average 2.38 ppg this season and overall his record is identical to Peps. They, like all his teams have been brilliant to watch.

The decision to sack him was a massive shock and massively divided opinion. The reasons given by the Munich media were poo pooed by other parts of the media. That wanted Tuchel, thought they had to act before Madrid and that's why they made their decision. Nothing to do with any of the other stuff and certainly not because Nagelsmann had done a bad job.

He instantly improves teams and individual players, plays incredibly attractive football and whatever any of us think, the board will be all over him and I think he will be without a doubt their number one target.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Nagelsmann without a doubt. 

I watched him take over Hoffenheim when they were second bottom in February and keep them up. Next season he took them to 4th, the following season 3rd and into the champions league for the first time in their history. It's was unbelievable what he did and the buzz and excitement around him was incredible.

When he went to Leipzig he got them to the semi final of the champions league, when they have never been out the group stage before and that season, they were utterly brilliant to watch.

Bayern this year have been superb, they had a little wobble, that coincided with Dortmund winning 11 odd games in a row, but still only lost 3 out of 37, scored 112 goals in those games and won 8/8 in the champions league. They average 2.38 ppg this season and overall his record is identical to Peps. They, like all his teams have been brilliant to watch.

The decision to sack him was a massive shock and massively divided opinion. The reasons given by the Munich media were poo pooed by other parts of the media. That wanted Tuchel, thought they had to act before Madrid and that's why they made their decision. Nothing to do with any of the other stuff and certainly not because Nagelsmann had done a bad job.

He instantly improves teams and individual players, plays incredibly attractive football and whatever any of us think, the board will be all over him and I think he will be without a doubt their number one target.

Sold.

I hadn't realised his record at Bayern was that good. Strange sacking with those stats in mind.

2 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

It'll be Nageslmann and he'll be lucky to get a year.

he wont be lucky if he does a good job. 

• Like 1

As much as I can understand the sentiment with Mourinho, I am really not convinced he would be the best choice at bringing through all the young talent we have recently hoovered up. 

I could get behind Poch, as although he hasn't won anything; he overachieved with Spurs, and a lot of young players improved under him.

Most of the other choices are too horrible to consider. Enrique? Would worry me a lot. Managing Barca and Spain is a very different gig to the PL.

JN for me.  

• Like 1

Just now, paulw66 said:

Only time will tell, and certainly that I'm feeling a bit fed up with Bohely and Co. is influencing me. But from what we have seen so far, not what they say or brief but what they have actually done, I don't think they really know what they want. And I think that puts any new coach in a precarious position. Nagelsmann may well do a great job by any fair standard, but he's not going to get similar results to what he did at Bayern because this is not the Bundesliga, and he is going to be much closer to Tuchel than Potter in how he behaves and communicates. How will the owners react to that some time and maybe hundreds of millions more in spending down the line?

None of my view is really about Nagelsmann. Other than the write ups, I know nothing about him. But I'm starting to get a feeling for these owners, and I think they're going to make Abramovich look sentimental.

12 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Sold.

I hadn't realised his record at Bayern was that good. Strange sacking with those stats in mind.

Yep, was a very strange decision.

His overall record at Bayern is

P84 W60 D14 L10

Scored 255 goals.

2.31ppg

Win ratio 71%

Literally identical to Peps, just with half the amount of games played.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

You think Potter would have lasted this long under RA?

I saw someone on here the other day accuse you of picking arguments for the sake of it and thought "nah, been on this forum with paulw66 for ages, you can have a good discussion with him and that is all of is". But if this is your take from what I've said, then jfc. We both know Abramovich wouldn't have touched Potter with a barge pole, and more is the point we both know exactly what I was talking about. Two sackings in seven months. Not even Abramovich managed that.

Edited by thevelourfog
Typo

7 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I saw someone on here the other day accuse you of picking arguments for the sake of it and thought "nah, been on this forum with paulw66 for ages, you can have a good discussion with him and that is all of is". But if this is your take from what I've said, then jfc. We both know Abramovich wouldn't have touched Potter with a barge pole, and more is the point we both know exactly what I was talking about. Two sackings in seven months. Not even Abramovich managed that.

Jesus........

I was simply suggesting Boehly and co actually showed a huge amount of patience with Potter. To me, they have been a lot less ruthless than Roman.

The Tuchel situation obviously had a lot more to it than just results, we will ever know the ful truth. He also wasn't their appointment in the first place.

You say RA wouldn't have appointed Potter, but he gambled with AVB (and gave up pretty quickly) and was forced into appointing RdM (and sacking him about 20 games after winning the CL) 

I genuinely believe they wanted to stick with Potter, but the results and performances were just SO bad, they had no choice. The issue is with the appointment, not the sacking

Edit - from memory, AVB sacked in March, RDM in October? 2 in 7 months

Edited by paulw66

4 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

P84 W60 D14 L10

Scored 255 goals.

2.31ppg

Win ratio 71%

It's a one team league. He achieved the minimum expected in his time at Bayern.

I enjoy watching the Bundesliga when I get chance. I like the model they have in Germany........but it is such a hipster league. We've fallen for this before with Werner , and Havertz to a lesser degree. Everyone lauds Dortmund and their stadium, fan, players. Then we have the lauding of Red Bull and their model and amazing players.

At the end of the day. Bayern have still dominated for the last decade and the rest not really achieved a great deal.

Nagelsmann has regret with hindsight written all over it. I prefer we use foresight to see that now.

Nagelsman, because of his phenomenal record with a range of Bundesliga clubs in his short career. I think if we get the structure of the club's staff behind the scenes right we shouldn't worry about the longevity of the managers anyway. Frequent changes have worked because the injection of novelty and energy works with the players. The only manager in history to win time after time over a protracted period was Alex Ferguson (and I still have no idea how he pulled it off). Wenger dropped away to 4th place mediocrity, Klopp has fallen off a cliff, Mourinho couldn't sustain success.....I'm happy to carry on counting the trophies while the media and other clubs' fans whinge about how often we change managers.

Nagelsman comes with a risk, but he will organise the players, inje t energy and bring a recognisable rationale. If he doesn't last more than a couple of seasons, so be it. Let the larger structure of the club take care of continuity, the manager is about inspiration and results now!

12 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

P84 W60 D14 L10

Scored 255 goals.

2.31ppg

Win ratio 71%

Interesting, cheers. 

9 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

What on earth are you talking about? He's right! Boehly and co have been patient to a fault with Potter. As to the sacking of Tuchel, we really don't know tye circumstances.

2 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

It's a one team league. He achieved the minimum expected in his time at Bayern.

I enjoy watching the Bundesliga when I get chance. I like the model they have in Germany........but it is such a hipster league. We've fallen for this before with Werner , and Havertz to a lesser degree. Everyone lauds Dortmund and their stadium, fan, players. Then we have the lauding of Red Bull and their model and amazing players.

At the end of the day. Bayern have still dominated for the last decade and the rest not really achieved a great deal.

Nagelsmann has regret with hindsight written all over it. I prefer we use foresight to see that now.

I do agree the German league is virtually a 1 team league, so achievements with them shouldn't be held in the same light as achievements in some other leagues, however, Nagelsmann also has a very good record in the Champions League and also, as @martin1905 pointed out, what he did at Hoffenheim should not be overlooked. 

Out of interest, if not Nagelsmann, then who would you go for?

1 minute ago, RDCW said:

What on earth are you talking about? He's right! Boehly and co have been patient to a fault with Potter. As to the sacking of Tuchel, we really don't know tye circumstances.

Thank you!

I owe you a response on the stadium stuff. Hold fire. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Jesus........

I was simply suggesting Boehly and co actually showed a huge amount of patience with Potter. To me, they have been a lot less ruthless than Roman.

The Tuchel situation obviously had a lot more to it than just results, we will ever know the ful truth. He also wasn't their appointment in the first place.

You say RA wouldn't have appointed Potter, but he gambled with AVB (and gave up pretty quickly) and was forced into appointing RdM (and sacking him about 20 games after winning the CL) 

I genuinely believe they wanted to stick with Potter, but the results and performances were just SO bad, they had no choice. The issue is with the appointment, not the sacking

Edit - from memory, AVB sacked in March, RDM in October? 2 in 7 months

Fair point on Di Matteo, didn't think across seasons.

It's as simple as this. I don't think they know what they want, or what they're doing, and I think they'll continue to get through coaches. I'm struggling to see that they'll make appointments that last even medium term. If you disagree, fine. We obviously haven't seen enough for me or anyone else to be 100% confident in my view. But we've definitely seen enough to be thinking "this may be a pattern".

For what it's worth, I wouldn't make Potter an equivalent with Villas-Boas or even Di Matteo. They had achieved far more than Potter has by any concrete measure.

Just now, My Blood Is Blue said:

I do agree the German league is virtually a 1 team league, so achievements with them shouldn't be held in the same light as achievements in some other leagues, however, Nagelsmann also has a very good record in the Champions League and also, as @martin1905 pointed out, what he did at Hoffenheim should not be overlooked. 

Out of interest, if not Nagelsmann, then who would you go for?

Personally, I would not have an issue with Enrique, Poch, Mancini or Deschamps. Any of those I would be happy with.

I would probably go with Enrique first choice, but I just hope we keep an open mind during the interview stage with which candidates we speak with.

I like the cut of Enrique's jib. He was a top level player and knows and understands these demands, whilst his achievements as a player will get respect from the start. Something Nagelsmann cannot achieve, neither could Potter.

He has managed and played at elite level and won trophies. Which means he can handle the demands and expectations at this level, as a player and as a manager. You can pick holes in his managerial record, but you can most managers these days. I think its easy to underestimate how important it is to handle and set elite level expectations. He has been in these environments for the majority of his footballing career. He has often played attractive football, but also pragmatic football to suit the strengths of the players he has. He also has an edge to him, which means he won't always be the easiest to manage from above at times, but he will also set these demands for the players.

We are talking about a guy who has managed players at the level of Messi, Neymar, Totti, Xavi, Iniesta.........great players for sure, but they require a great managers to get a good tune out of them too.

This is Chelsea level. I'm not sure the same can be said for Nagelsmann, who has just been sacked when still in with a great chance of winning their two big trophies.....not exactly a ringing endorsement.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Fair point on Di Matteo, didn't think across seasons.

It's as simple as this. I don't think they know what they want, or what they're doing, and I think they'll continue to get through coaches. I'm struggling to see that they'll make appointments that last even medium term. If you disagree, fine. We obviously haven't seen enough for me or anyone else to be 100% confident in my view. But we've definitely seen enough to be thinking "this may be a pattern".

For what it's worth, I wouldn't make Potter an equivalent with Villas-Boas or even Di Matteo. They had achieved far more than Potter has by any concrete measure.

I think we are certainly right to question the board for practically everything they've done so far in their tenure which to be honest has been a bit of a shit show to be frank , however I do believe they have done absolutely the right thing with regards to getting rid of Potter , where they made a mistake was letting it go on too long when he was afforded every chance to get it right and also in getting rid of Tuchel when they should have showed a bit of patience got their recruitment team in place , got their director of football in place and let him deal with TT .

This was possibly the first big decision they've got right .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1