Chelsea 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 2

JaneB

29 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Of course we are going to "try" and sell players

The problem is they are on contracts that they can just lie back and do nothing..... madness!!!.

Who is going to buy our surplus to requirements?.Every club in the world has us over a barrel.

I said before we are probably going to have to take a half billion pound hit before we can move on.

On top of that the arabs can come in and make an offer for our best players that Boehly and Co can't refuse.

The only light at the end of the tunnel is if we can get a manager that can turn things around quickly.

Edited by kev61

43 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Of course we are going to "try" and sell players

The problem is they are on contracts that they can just lie back and do nothing madness!!!.

Who is going to buy our surplus to requirements?.Every club in the world has us over a barrel.

I said before we are probably going to have to take a half billion pound hit before we can move on.

The vast majority of the deadwood and long time underachievers we have with uncertain futures in the current squad all have deals that expire in the next 12-24 months. 

Kante's deal expires end of season, as do the loans of both Zakaria and Joao Felix. There's then 7 players with contracts that'll expire at the end of next season (2024) - Thiago Silva, Kovacic, Azpilicueta, Aubameyang, Loftus-Cheek, Pulisic and Mount. Then there's a further 6 that expire the season after (2025) - Kepa, Ziyech, Havertz, Mendy, Gallagher and Hall. 

The large bulk of those that need shifting are in the above pool. There's of course some exceptions like Ziyech and Lukaku, but the bulk are here.

We can of course debatable over some of our more recent signings that do have long term deals here still such as the Koulibaly's, Cucurella's and Sterling's, but the probability any of these guys are sold after a single season here is unlikely irrespective of ones own individual opinion on them. Unless of course they personally ask to leave.

When you actually take this on board it's not quite bad as it looks purely on face value alone. Sure, we may not get significant returns on some of these mentioned, but the the silver lining is that because so many are also nearing the ends of their contracts their book values are going to be low enough to where we may recoup, or even make a little, on the transfer front with some players. Similar to what we saw happen with Jorginho, as a recent example. 

Few of our "problem players" are going to have the luxury of just sitting on their contracts. 

We should be able to move on from the bulk of these players, which will create enough room for us to retool properly (fingers crossed). Even if it does mean still having to hang onto a few less desirable options, it won't be any where near as lopsided as it is at present. 

Edited by xceleryx
Formatting.

24 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

The vast majority of the deadwood and long time underachievers we have with uncertain futures in the current squad all have deals that expire in the next 12-24 months. 

Kante's deal expires end of season, as do the loans of both Zakaria and Joao Felix. There's then 7 players with contracts that'll expire at the end of next season (2024) - Thiago Silva, Kovacic, Azpilicueta, Aubameyang, Loftus-Cheek, Pulisic and Mount. Then there's a further 6 that expire the season after (2025) - Kepa, Ziyech, Havertz, Mendy, Gallagher and Hall. 

The large bulk of those that need shifting are in the above pool. There's of course some exceptions like Ziyech and Lukaku, but the bulk are here.

We can of course debatable over some of our more recent signings that do have long term deals here still such as the Koulibaly's, Cucurella's and Sterling's, but the probability any of these guys are sold after a single season here is unlikely irrespective of ones own individual opinion on them. Unless of course they personally ask to leave.

When you actually take this on board it's not quite bad as it looks purely on face value alone. Sure, we may not get significant returns on some of these mentioned, but the the silver lining is that because so many are also nearing the ends of their contracts their book values are going to be low enough to where we may recoup, or even make a little, on the transfer front with some players. Similar to what we saw happen with Jorginho, as a recent example. 

Few of our "problem players" are going to have the luxury of just sitting on their contracts. 

We should be able to move on from the bulk of these players, which will create enough room for us to retool properly (fingers crossed). Even if it does mean still having to hang onto a few less desirable options, it won't be any where near as lopsided as it is at present. 

No reason to doubt you,but does the average Chelsea fan know what you'r on about?.

More importantly does Bohley and Co?.

6 hours ago, ROTG said:

That ain’t going to happen with  TB sports department in control. They are only interested in buying prospects at inflated prices. 

Nothing wrong with buying prospects but then if we're selling our own academy players at a lower price tag we may be better just keeping them and saving the money as the success rate looks about the same. Also buying young players when there are no longer any influential established players left to teach them to love Chelsea then you've lost the identity of the club (which is already happening).

We're in danger of becoming another, and I apologise for saying this in advance, Spurs. A club with an anaemic home support in a new, sanitised stadium, with a bunch of players that swagger but, who at the end of the day, produce little and become a joke in the league as having the softest of underbellys. That sort of reputation is all too easily gained and almost impossible to grow out of.  I was born in 1960 and in my lifetime Spurs have never really shaken off that tag irrespective of some great players they had. Once you become known as a joke club it is all but impossible to shake that. I am fearful that is what is before us.

We need to buy character before we turn our attention to prospects. This is not US sports where the draft constantly balances clubs in a no relegation environment. Once you allow a squad to become unbalanced, demotivated and lacking in ability it is a dickens of a job to turn that around while the rest of the league pulls away from you. First you drop out of contention of the title, followed by mid table mediocrity before latterly fighting for survival and finally dropping out of the league all together. Is that what we have to look forward to? The Everton of SW6?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Nothing wrong with buying prospects but then if we're selling our own academy players at a lower price tag we may be better just keeping them and saving the money as the success rate looks about the same. Also buying young players when there are no longer any influential established players left to teach them to love Chelsea then you've lost the identity of the club (which is already happening).

We're in danger of becoming another, and I apologise for saying this in advance, Spurs. A club with an anaemic home support in a new, sanitised stadium, with a bunch of players that swagger but, who at the end of the day, produce little and become a joke in the league as having the softest of underbellys. That sort of reputation is all too easily gained and almost impossible to grow out of.  I was born in 1960 and in my lifetime Spurs have never really shaken off that tag irrespective of some great players they had. Once you become known as a joke club it is all but impossible to shake that. I am fearful that is what is before us.

We need to buy character before we turn our attention to prospects. This is not US sports where the draft constantly balances clubs in a no relegation environment. Once you allow a squad to become unbalanced, demotivated and lacking in ability it is a dickens of a job to turn that around while the rest of the league pulls away from you. First you drop out of contention of the title, followed by mid table mediocrity before latterly fighting for survival and finally dropping out of the league all together. Is that what we have to look forward to? The Everton of SW6?

IMO an opportunity was missed last summer when Burnley had a fire sale. Some of those players would have come to Chelsea and been happy to bench warm, however they still have fire in there bellies and are leaders, who could have done a job over the past 7 months when asked.

Can you imagine what JM would say about the character of this current squad and leaders within the squad :0) 

On 17/04/2023 at 02:49, kev61 said:

Just one last thing Bob and I ask this to every up in arms objector.

Are you a vegetarian?.Sorry mods I'm really not trying to shit stir, that's all from me on the subject.

Statung the bleeding obvious here, but without people eating meat and dairy there would be no farm animals. Without the racing industry there would be no horse breeding.  So would these vegitarians prefer those millions of animals had no life at all?

Imho, alll battery farming should be banned and every animal kept in high quality conditions and given the best possible life until they are humanly killed. I see nothing morally wrong with any of that!

Race Horses are pampered and being so involved with humans, they are given a more interesting and varied life than simply standing in a field all day eating grass. I would certainly ban the use of the whip though! 

On 17/04/2023 at 03:29, kev61 said:

If we can recoup 50% of the money we have spent on the drivel we have bought I would put that down as a success.

That would be an achievement. Probably only achievable if we manage to sell Hudson odoi and maybe Gallagher and RLC. I can't see Pulisic, Zyiech, Kepa or The lump getting anywhere near the 50% valuation especially with the contracts they are on. Do British players values count double for FFP, I did hear something somewhere? 🤔 

3 hours ago, ROTG said:

IMO an opportunity was missed last summer when Burnley had a fire sale. Some of those players would have come to Chelsea and been happy to bench warm, however they still have fire in there bellies and are leaders, who could have done a job over the past 7 months when asked.

Can you imagine what JM would say about the character of this current squad and leaders within the squad :0) 

I doubt you could print it. 

14 minutes ago, Blue Orca said:

That would be an achievement. Probably only achievable if we manage to sell Hudson odoi and maybe Gallagher and RLC. I can't see Pulisic, Zyiech, Kepa or The lump getting anywhere near the 50% valuation especially with the contracts they are on. Do British players values count double for FFP, I did hear something somewhere? 🤔 

We're sort of fortunate that a lot of those we're largely looking to move on from are going to be in the final 12-24 months of their contracts. This means lower book costs, and in some cases may actually mean we can possibly make small profits on some who hold a transfer value that still exceeds their book value.

Using Capology as a guideline, someone like Pulisic has a deal until 2024 with his remaining book cost being around £15.6m at present.  While as useful as a stale bottle of piss, as my old man would say, he'd likely still fetch a transfer fee above that based on the current market. 

As for the British players values comment, you may be referring to the sale of academy players counting as all profit as there is no transfer fee to consider? 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

The only players we will sell for a reasonable amount is Mount, Colvill and Gallagher.

The rest will be giveaways. Pulisic, Ziyech, Auba, Kepa, Mendy, Azpilicueta, Cucurella, Kante, Loftus-Cheek, Broja, Fofana. None of them will fetch any meaningful fee. You can throw in Lukaku, Hudson-Odoi, Bakayoko, Anjorin, D Sterling, Baba Rahman, Maatsen, Ampadu and Sarr to that list as well. 

Getting rid of the above-mentioned players salaries will be the big bonus but we may not even be able to manage that. My bet is that we will see many of them away on subsidised loans until their fat contracts run out. We have been badly run for a good few years now, with an awful football strategy and non-existent transfer strategy. Boehly is accelerating it quite aggressively so who knows how far we can fall off. I mean, at this rate I wouldn’t rule out relegation 2024. 

I guess it depends on your definition of meaningful.  

If you got £5m per player on that second paragraph, that's still £100m of sales.  If you got £10m each for them on average then that is £200m.   As others have already pointed out we don't need to get a lot for some of these to book a profit on our accounts. 

At the right price  I'm convinced there will be interest in Gallagher, Pulisic, Ziyech, Maatsen, Kovacic, Chalobah, Ampadu, Mendy and even Lukaku.   I don't expect us to recoup much or anything on Auba, Azpi, Bakayoko, Baba, Anjorin or Sarr and I suspect Kante, Cucurella, Kepa and RLC are probably desired by many but may be unaffordable due to wages.  

Just now, Rob B said:

If you got £5m per player on that second paragraph, that's still £100m of sales.  If you got £10m each for them on average then that is £200m.   As others have already pointed out we don't need to get a lot for some of these to book a profit on our accounts. 

At the right price  I'm convinced there will be interest in Gallagher, Pulisic, Ziyech, Maatsen, Kovacic, Chalobah, Ampadu, Mendy and even Lukaku.   I don't expect us to recoup much or anything on Auba, Azpi, Bakayoko, Baba, Anjorin or Sarr and I suspect Kante, Cucurella, Kepa and RLC are probably desired by many but may be unaffordable due to wages.  

If anyone seriously wants RLC then they should go on a blacklist in case we consider them as a coach in the future 

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Imho, top priority should be to get Lukaku, Sterling and Auba off the wage bill, which would save a million a week.  People say their wages would put clubs off from buying them, but if all three are told they won't play for Chelsea again I am sure they'd all agree to sign for another club on lower wages. They won't want to waste away the final years of their career just for the sake of banking more money that they do not need.

The next in line after that terrible trio should be Ziyech, Pulisic and Kovavic. All three should be easy enough to move on. 

After those six, I'm not too fussed about who goes in which order over the next couple of years or for what price.

On 16/04/2023 at 21:23, JaneB said:

I think this was taken yesterday.

These two would still wipe the floor with who we have now.

Loved them together 💙💙

45A9FB5D-2B0E-40B9-9CBB-C32A937DC6D7.jpeg

Loved both these strikers, but I don't think Jimmy would put up with lack of service from our midfield, he'd have given today's midfield blue murder for their quality of passing.

• Like 1