Newcastle United 1 Chelsea 1

1 minute ago, Ham said:

The Almiron love in is getting very tiresome. 

Shit player who's had one good season.  Looks like a skinny Ant McPartlin too. 

Sheldon from "Big Bang".

Raheem can't get a foul!... lost the impetus...just a preseason run out now.

10 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Sterling offers so little. He really doesn't belong in this squad.

Contrast to Mudryk who looked to drive at the opponent and make things happen, Sterling does nothing, also very noticeable how much better we look with Jackson on the pitch. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Ham said:

The Almiron love in is getting very tiresome. 

Shit player who's had one good season.  Looks like a skinny Ant McPartlin too. 

He’s back in ATL where he was instrumental to Atlanta United winning the MLS some time ago. He’s loved here still. 

Just now, DannyLB said:

He’s back in ATL where he was instrumental to Atlanta United winning the MLS some time ago. He’s loved here still. 

I get that the Atlanta fans would love him but the commentary team were unbearable. 

1 minute ago, Ham said:

I get that the Atlanta fans would love him but the commentary team were unbearable. 

Their job is to "sell" the game to the somewhat delusional USA fans (not all but enough)..it's just a promotional exercise.

And..Pope again.

Thought we did just about enough to earn a win, but Nick Pope is a top keeper. Dull second half with some pretty lethargic play and didn’t create anywhere near enough, first half was pretty good on the whole. 

Edited by Floyd25
  • Agree 1

Performance faded once Mudryk and Jackson were taken off.  Sterling was awful. Nkunku wasn’t in the game. Casadei gave the ball away a lot. Cucurella was all over the place and cost us the  goal.  On the plus side, Chalobah did fine. I like Gusto. Reece James had a good run out. We worked hard and defended pretty well. But we look two or three players short in key positions. 

Edited by Original 21
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Ham said:

Almiron motm? My cue to go to bed. 

Jeez. 

ITS A SELLING JOB HAM.....don't lose any sleep!...(Pope motm.....at least three good goal bound efforts)...Still a point is a point😁

4 hours ago, Ham said:

Lots of positives there. Special mention again for Bashir Humphreys and Nico Jackson. 

A really good performance against a pretty much full strength Newcastle. 

Hmmm - is this the new measurement "Newcastle - full strength"?? Looney-tunes? 

😁

• Haha 1

Only seen highlights, so again I can’t comment too much, but I think it’s safe to say I can repeat on a couple of key things people have said above… Jackson, I’m really trying to not get too excited about him, but he looks like a real find for us! Cucurella, needs selling, take the loss and just move him on for everyone’s sake!

4 hours ago, Original 21 said:

Performance faded once Mudryk and Jackson were taken off.  Sterling was awful. Nkunku wasn’t in the game. Casadei gave the ball away a lot. Cucurella was all over the place and cost us the  goal.  On the plus side, Chalobah did fine. I like Gusto. Reece James had a good run out. We worked hard and defended pretty well. But we look two or three players short in key positions. 

Exactly my impression of the game in a nutshell. I thought our goal was superb all around and Almiron looked offside for theirs. I'd be looking to offload Sterling if it wasn't for the fact that the press would have a field day. He seems to provide nothing on the field and no leadership off it. The defense held up pretty well given that it was very much second string. James was operating in third gear unsurprisingly and Cucurella did his usual trick of appearing all over the place and rarely at left back. Anyone else a bit concerned that Fernandez, while resonably solid, has yet to produce anything for his highlight reel?

If you take the team that began the match and inserted our first choice back line we are beginning to look like a team capable of challenging for European places (top 8?). To go one better and get into the Champions League however we need significant bolstering in midfield. I'm also a bit concerned with Kepa starting all these games as if something happens to him we have very little experience in reserve.

Still, it's such a relief watching a manager at work that seems to know what he is doing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Watched the highlights and once again impressed by Jackson , a "proper" striker , which is great.  I have to say , once again it's not the "youth" letting us down as they've been exemplary so far it's the seasoned pro's , Cucurella is a liability positionally , never seems to know where he should be , and Sterling anonymous. I'm really liking Maatsen , he seems to have really good vision which is a difficult thing to teach , think he has a good career ahead of him , hopefully with us .  Still unbeaten under Poch and we were by the look of it the best side in this game .  

Hopefully we get to see Maatsen at left-back in the next two matches, to make that Cucurella decision a bit easier.

From the looks of it Chukwuemeka is ahead of Santos and Casadei for a space in the squad, rather than a loan. As you'd expect given his PL experience.

Both of these points also probably mean a loan would be the best option for Lewis Hall, who hasn't had much of a look-in so far.

• Like 1