Robert Sanchez signs for Chelsea

Chelsea Football Club has completed the transfer of goalkeeper Robert Sanchez from Brighton & Hove Albion.

The Spain international, who has made 87 Premier League appearances, has signed a seven-year contract at Stamford Bridge and will soon join up with the first-team squad at Cobham. 

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/article/sanchez-seals-blues-switch

CL2 9125 c1mxs8i2

Kepa apologists will be all over this guy the first mistake he makes.

I have accepted the reality that Kepa will be first choice no matter how s*** he is and we are stuck with him until his contract expires in 2025.

5 minutes ago, Bison said:

I have accepted the reality that Kepa will be first choice no matter how s*** he is and we are stuck with him until his contract expires in 2025.

I know how much you dislike Kepa but sadly Sanchez isn't an upgrade .

• Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Bison said:

I would not worry, if it's looks like no Europe again next season, kepa will be the first of the high earners pumped in January or next summer.

Then we are left with Brighton's No3 as our No1 

The club can't help giving like Brexit. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I know how much you dislike Kepa but sadly Sanchez isn't an upgrade .

Sanchez is listed as 6'6 and doesn't have a negative wingspan so he's better by default. Kepa will start though because his transfer fee and wages give him the edge. Must protect his value at all costs, even to our detriment. 

The way I see it is like this.

The GK market is about as putrid as the strikers one right now, there aren't a lot of keepers out there that massively improve upon what we've got with Kepa and come in at any sort of reasonable price. Kepa is unlikely to be going anywhere while on his current deal, so getting in a competitive #2 is the natural alternative.

Who knows what happens with Kepa at the end of his contract (2025), if he moves on we'll likely target a proper #1 option and by then they'll hopefully be a more appropriate candidate/s that appear. 

On 05/08/2023 at 16:27, Bison said:

Sanchez is listed as 6'6 and doesn't have a negative wingspan so he's better by default. Kepa will start though because his transfer fee and wages give him the edge. Must protect his value at all costs, even to our detriment. 

20230805_120308.jpg

FB_IMG_1691267821336.jpg

It would be interesting to compare the stats of Mendy and Sanchez from the season before last season if anyone has them ?

The stats paint half a picture in a way. Clearly, we were rubbish last season and Brighton good. 
A different season with different managers can product very different results, so I would be curious to see how Sanchez compared with Mendy. 

Edited by Thiago97

On 08/08/2023 at 01:07, Thiago97 said:

It would be interesting to compare the stats of Mendy and Sanchez from the season before last season if anyone has them ?

The stats paint half a picture in a way. Clearly, we were rubbish last season and Brighton good. 
A different season with different managers can product very different results, so I would be curious to see how Sanchez compared with Mendy. 

2021 comparison. 

spacer.png

^ Thanks Celery. 

These stats are more or less what I was expecting and they look more favourably here, compared with the stats Vs Kepa last season.

Keeper stats are a bit of a funny one in general imo. 

Generally, the busier you are as a keeper, which tends to go hand in hand with the team not doing as well, the better a keeper stats can often look.

To some degree, I think that's what we are seeing here with why Sanchez numbers do not stand up against Kepa last season, but they do stand up alongside Mendy from the season before.

Whilst I think we all acknowledge Kepa and Mendy both have their flaws by way of comparison.

7 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

^ Thanks Celery. 

These stats are more or less what I was expecting and they look more favourably here, compared with the stats Vs Kepa last season.

Keeper stats are a bit of a funny one in general imo. 

Generally, the busier you are as a keeper, which tends to go hand in hand with the team not doing as well, the better a keeper stats can often look.

To some degree, I think that's what we are seeing here with why Sanchez numbers do not stand up against Kepa last season, but they do stand up alongside Mendy from the season before.

Whilst I think we all acknowledge Kepa and Mendy both have their flaws by way of comparison.

Yeah, there's a bit of a caveat when it comes to GK and how their stats read at times. 

I think Sanchez fills the required need, which is a competitive enough backup that's usable should he be called upon while retaining a similar profile to Kepa that's not going to force a major disruption to the teams play style. This was an area we struggled with once Mendy came back into the side, under pressure he was easy to rattle and our defenders begun shying away from using him as an outlet once mistakes crept in.

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Blimey .

Lets hope Ben Roberts gets started on him straight away 

Not surprising at all to be honest. Sanchez was clearly signed to be the new GK1. One might think he isn't good enough for that, and perhaps that is a correct assessment. However, and this is important, his height alone will make him an instant improvement on Kepa T-Rex Arrizabalaga who more often than not is seen flying across his penalty area, arms flapping about and face flustered. He basically has no idea what he is doing as soon as he is required to control his area. 

Another very important point to consider is this. Next season when Kepa will have moved on permanently (or on loan again for the last time), we may go out and splash some serious money on a new GK1. Sanchez fee and wages are of the level that we do not have to feel ashamed to demote him to GK2 (if necessary). Next summer we will hopefully not have to go out and buy a lot of players, instead being able to focus on the few deals that will really make a big impact on our quality. 

The deal we made for Sanchez is essentially the sort of deal Kepa should have arrived on. £20-25m in transfer fee and vastly lower wages that Kepas £190k/week. If that was the deal T-Rex arrived on, I don't think people would be as critical. The club wouldn't have felt forced to play him despite not being good enough, and the damage he caused would have been much smaller. 

• Agree 1