Chelsea 2 Arsenal 2

JaneB

Personally, I don't think Sanchez needs over analysing and the situation is what it is with him.

He is a shot stopper upgrade and a size upgrade from set pieces on Kepa. However, he has what he did on Saturday in his locker, and we will probably see that 3-4 times through a season.

He is basically David James. He will win you crucial points at times with strong performances and he will gift wrap the opposition goals on occasions too.

As things stand, he is our No1 as we have little idea what the No2 is capable of. We can't throw Petrovic into a PL game and the manager and club needs to show our confidence is with Sanchez. The LC tie against Blackburn is a perfect opportunity at home to give Petrovic a start. We can have a look at him and  start easing him into games, without the massive pressure of coming in ahead of our No1 for PL games and all the scrutiny that brings.

Edited by Thiago97
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

He is a shot stopper upgrade and a size upgrade from set pieces on Kepa. However, he has what he did on Saturday in his locker, and we will probably see that 3-4 times through a season.

I think it's a bigger issue than that because everything up to this point suggests we will see it much more often than 3-4 times this season. We've already seen him do the same thing more than that and it's not yet November.

I don't hugely want to see us punting the ball long as that comes with it's own problems, but I do wonder if the players further up the field can do more to make that a viable option. None of them are typical big lad, hold it up types, but someone needs to present Sanchez with that option if we're going to survive his passing.

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

I think it's a bigger issue than that because everything up to this point suggests we will see it much more often than 3-4 times this season. We've already seen him do the same thing more than that and it's not yet November.

I don't hugely want to see us punting the ball long as that comes with it's own problems, but I do wonder if the players further up the field can do more to make that a viable option. None of them are typical big lad, hold it up types, but someone needs to present Sanchez with that option if we're going to survive his passing.

I don't think his passing is bad. His long range passing is pretty good.

I think the problem is more that he is quite casual on the ball, and even when he is pressed by opponents, he never seems to show too much urgency to get rid. I fully admit that I find myself with my heart in mouth when he is on the ball at times, but it's more a case of I think he is going to get tackled or get his feet in a muddle and give away a goal.  Generally, I don't really have too many concerns that he is going to give a pass away like he did on Saturday. 

I agree that an outlet would help though. We were a little bit spoilt by having the Alonso outlet, and in a wide area of the pitch for a number of seasons. A certain Ivan Toney is more than happy having it thrown up at him though....just saying !

On 26/10/2023 at 11:44, thevelourfog said:

In my(flawed) memory I can never remember such a stupid tactic as playing out from the back.I'm sure there are statistics out there that can prove me wrong!

It is not a goal keeper's choice to fuck about with the ball at their feet. (Chara will know more than I do) I reckon this is a tactic employed by coaches that have read somewhere that it is a good idea.

I honestly think the disparity in wages in football and the stupid contracts that unproven players get is ruining the game in the top echelons.

Whe pep leaves city they are in the mix.

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

In my(flawed) memory I can never remember such a stupid tactic as playing out from the back.I'm sure there are statistics out there that can prove me wrong!

It is not a goal keeper's choice to fuck about with the ball at their feet. (Chara will know more than I do) I reckon this is a tactic employed by coaches that have read somewhere that it is a good idea.

I honestly think the disparity in wages in football and the stupid contracts that unproven players get is ruining the game in the top echelons.

Whe pep leaves city they are in the mix.

Hmm..thanks for the confidence kev...just my personal view but about right,,the game has changed for keepers, being available as a cycling of the ball is one thing but the longer the keeper keeps the ball at his feet the more pressure builds up and shutting him down if he holds it too long trying to find a possession destined pass puts him in doo doo for sure .... looks great if he managed to slip an attacker but he has to be right every time,,unlike an outfield player losing possession.

Easier now on the billiard table surfaces but in the not so distance past it would have been a disaster waiting to happen all game...even now I still cringe when any keeper holds the ball too long,,,,a technical term I remember .."Give it some wellie" comes to mind!

On 26/10/2023 at 11:44, thevelourfog said:

In the percentage game I'm convinced there is more merit in pumping the ball forward when the keeper gets the ball.

How many times do we need to see a goalkeeper faffing about with the ball to see that this nonsense of a tactic is suicidal.

On 21/10/2023 at 12:34, Dwmh said:

image.png.a0630bb624dd2e59c94f7e104b9a6521.png

And worse Arsenal probably are as good as they think.
image.png.7628626b78cb22671ccea779b27b3f5d.png

Still the good news is that top of the table really aren't all that good at all

image.png.95ae928e44e8c28c8833bd2907d16703.png

What website is this mate?

I really need to show this to some of my friends, who are unfortunately Tottenham fans.

44 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

What website is this mate?

I really need to show this to some of my friends, who are unfortunately Tottenham fans.

All my own work - basically playing around with power BI.
Glad you are interested because I think first quarter of the season this is useful insight.

Unfortunately I can't publish this interactive dashboard to the web right now.
[Techie:  changes with Power BI/Fabric have changed the permissions for interacting with the internet and I am on a free trial.]

If I work out how to change this I'll post the link on here and pm you

PS stick with these friends, they will never disappoint you like Man City fans did.  I think avoid Arsenal fans.
And don't let them see the Chelsea table.