Jump to content

New Goalkeeper


JaneB

Recommended Posts

No doubt this will occupy some of our thoughts during the summer.

I am also wondering how we accommodate so many GK Coaches:  Ben Roberts, Hilario, James Russell and Michele De Bernardin, not to mention Willy Caballero who is also a GK, although I know he's Maresca's assistant.  

I wouldn't mind if their coaching made any difference 🙄

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

We need a new no1.

Sanchez and/or Petrovic are fine for no2s.

don't know who it is, but it is vital. 

I was of the view that we should bring in a goalkeeper if a top level one was available, otherwise we should give Petrovic another season, however, with seeing how our new manager likes to play, a new GK is going to be a must.

I’ve no idea who the options would be, Ortega at Man City maybe? Anyone know what the Leicester keeper is like?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ederson, sounds crazy but it looks like they are looking at potential replacements and I doubt they would stop him leaving.

We recently done business with them with Sterling and Plamer.

Our new boss used to be their assistant. 

It really could happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Ederson, sounds crazy but it looks like they are looking at potential replacements and I doubt they would stop him leaving.

We recently done business with them with Sterling and Plamer.

Our new boss used to be their assistant. 

It really could happen.

Would be a brilliant signing if we could somehow pull it off. Although, he’s picked up quite a few injuries for a keeper in the last couple of years, so that combined with our medical department would probably mean he’d be out for at least 12 months after his debut.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Would be a brilliant signing if we could somehow pull it off. Although, he’s picked up quite a few injuries for a keeper in the last couple of years, so that combined with our medical department would probably mean he’d be out for at least 12 months after his debut.

Man City fans I know moan about his shot-stopping and one v one keeping.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Couldn't one of the 57 coaches at the club just teach our keepers to pass a ball?

Much cheaper than replacing all of the keepers. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you'll find Ben Roberts isn't a goalkeeping coach. He's Head of Global Goalkeeping. Completely different, and very real and important, role.

I don't think we're getting a new goalkeeper and I think Sanchez will be no.1 under Maresca. We will not have brought a coach in who wants different players to those Winstanley and Stewart have already blown the budget on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thing with Ederson is he is early 30’s and won it all, so even if City do decide they are willing to move him on, he just looks a prime candidate for Saudi.

I’m not sure Chelsea is that appealing at his age with little left to achieve, compared to an easy life in the sun and 300k a week! Sets him and his future family up for life !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Linked with Marcin Bulka today,

liked him when he was here, then he decided he was more likely to play at PSG.

Funnily enough, if he'd had stayed here, I expect he would have had a chance of proving himself as no1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Linked with Marcin Bulka today,

liked him when he was here, then he decided he was more likely to play at PSG.

Funnily enough, if he'd had stayed here, I expect he would have had a chance of proving himself as no1.

Yes , I agree , I thought he was very good that pre season he played for us , went to PSG and still never played.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think quite a few clubs are going to be very closely watching the Georgian lad at the Euro's. I can see there being a battle to try and snap him up after the tournament, not sure if that will include us, as his ability on the ball might work against him. In terms of his frame and shot stopping ability, he looks very strong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Edison...still at a good age for a keeper...I'm mindful of Pat Jennings being, as appeared, discarded far too early and having a late good career.

My puzzle is why the talk of moving him on ? Ortega has done well but I always seem to see a silly mistake lurking around his goal.

Such seemingly premature talk regarding a top player usually turns out to be an injury/fitness problem kept under wraps.

Unless the defence "tightens" up..hopefully the new man will actually work out how to effectively use the players available...any keeper however good will look less effective at Chelsea than they  actually are .

Added...just checked Pat was 32 when he moved to The Arse,,and played another 8 years...A True Legend.....saw him at Wembley whilst still at Watford playing in the same Youth Tournament as Chopper for England (They won)  and George Graham for Scotland.

Edited by chara
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chara said:

Edison...still at a good age for a keeper...I'm mindful of Pat Jennings being, as appeared, discarded far too early and having a late good career.

My puzzle is why the talk of moving him on ? Ortega has done well but I always seem to see a silly mistake lurking around his goal.

Such seemingly premature talk regarding a top player usually turns out to be an injury/fitness problem kept under wraps.

Unless the defence "tightens" up..hopefully the new man will actually work out how to effectively use the players available...any keeper however good will look less effective at Chelsea than they  actually are .

Added...just checked Pat was 32 when he moved to The Arse,,and played another 8 years...A True Legend.....saw him at Wembley whilst still at Watford playing in the same Youth Tournament as Chopper for England (They won)  and George Graham for Scotland.

I think Pat was right up there with Banks and better at some things.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chara said:

Edison...still at a good age for a keeper...I'm mindful of Pat Jennings being, as appeared, discarded far too early and having a late good career.

My puzzle is why the talk of moving him on ? Ortega has done well but I always seem to see a silly mistake lurking around his goal.

Such seemingly premature talk regarding a top player usually turns out to be an injury/fitness problem kept under wraps.

Unless the defence "tightens" up..hopefully the new man will actually work out how to effectively use the players available...any keeper however good will look less effective at Chelsea than they  actually are .

Added...just checked Pat was 32 when he moved to The Arse,,and played another 8 years...A True Legend.....saw him at Wembley whilst still at Watford playing in the same Youth Tournament as Chopper for England (They won)  and George Graham for Scotland.

It was an era of great keepers :

Banks, Bonetti, Jennings, Corrigan, Clemence, Shilton, Glazier, Parkes, Keegan.....even Stepney and Sprake, who had a mistake in them, but could also be brilliant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, RDCW said:

It was an era of great keepers :

Banks, Bonetti, Jennings, Corrigan, Clemence, Shilton, Glazier, Parkes, Keegan.....even Stepney and Sprake, who had a mistake in them, but could also be brilliant.

More than one! 

But yes, it was an era of top keepers (apart from the Scottish ones, obviously). There was definitely a feeling that keepers from other countries couldn't hold a candle to the likes of Banks, Shilton,  Clemence, Jennings, Bonetti - hence the Clough view of the Polish keeper Tomaszewski as a clown, and we all thought the 1970 Brazilian keeper Felix was a major weak link in that legendary team. Lev Yashin of Russia was the exception to that dismissive view of foreign keepers. Even Sepp Maier of Germany always seemed a bit dodgy.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Backbiter said:

More than one! 

But yes, it was an era of top keepers (apart from the Scottish ones, obviously). There was definitely a feeling that keepers from other countries couldn't hold a candle to the likes of Banks, Shilton,  Clemence, Jennings, Bonetti - hence the Clough view of the Polish keeper Tomaszewski as a clown, and we all thought the 1970 Brazilian keeper Felix was a major weak link in that legendary team. Lev Yashin of Russia was the exception to that dismissive view of foreign keepers. Even Sepp Maier of Germany always seemed a bit dodgy.

Dino Zoff and Ronnie Hellstrom were two that bucked that trend I thought.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RDCW said:

It was an era of great keepers :

Banks, Bonetti, Jennings, Corrigan, Clemence, Shilton, Glazier, Parkes, Keegan.....even Stepney and Sprake, who had a mistake in them, but could also be brilliant.

I was fortunate enough to see all the above keepers in their prime....and Yashin at Wembley. Could add another half a dozen probably who were top keepers..far more of a lower "average" level now days as I see it. A lot of good keepers but no greats home grown and IMHO the best including  the "foreign contingent" are maybe very very good ..not great.

 Back in the Dark Ages we only saw players maybe once a year if we attended every home game and  the less than overwhelming tv coverage as was....the Media had a huge hand in defining "great players". Still do their mischief now but we all have far more exposure and ,,gulp..can see for ourselves!

@Backbiter,,the Clough "clown" comment (kudos for the spelling I won't even try!)..again FWIW I was at that game and agreed with Clough in the sense that he somehow played out of his skin and got away with some outrageous stuff...not a sneer...a keepers job is to..well..keep goals from going in and he did that in spades but I seem to recall Cloughie asking a talking head if he would sign the "clown" for his team..the hesitation and silence was deafening!

Just the usual OG aside,,the first game I saw Bonetti play at SB he was 19! (will check that but close enough) Heart with The Cat, Head with Banksie,

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...