Official: Chelsea sign Joao Felix on loan for the remainder of the season

JaneB

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

So Joao Felix himself has confirmed in an interview that there is no buy clause in his loan deal, so if he is to remain at Chelsea next season it will mean the club needing to come to an agreement with Atletico Madrid. 

It’s crazy that we haven’t included some sort of clause whilst paying the fee that we have. If Felix does well here for the rest of the season it puts us in a difficult situation in the summer… Atletico would not sell him to us for cheap, he would cost a fortune and I would also imagine some other PL clubs would be sniffing around if he’s seen to have been a success in this league and they would likely be able to offer him CL football.

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

So Joao Felix himself has confirmed in an interview that there is no buy clause in his loan deal, so if he is to remain at Chelsea next season it will mean the club needing to come to an agreement with Atletico Madrid. 

Or just pay his buy out.......

Yeah, the quotes from Felix makes it sound like he'd already quite like to stay in my opinion. However, even with the free-spending new ownership I just can't see it happening if there really is no clause. If he does well enough that we want to keep him then the price just goes up and up with every good game. 

The only ace up our sleeve is that footballer's contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on half the time and players usually go where they like. If Felix really wants the move he may have to put his parts on and quite publicly. 

2 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

Yeah, the quotes from Felix makes it sound like he'd already quite like to stay in my opinion. However, even with the free-spending new ownership I just can't see it happening if there really is no clause. If he does well enough that we want to keep him then the price just goes up and up with every good game. 

The only ace up our sleeve is that footballer's contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on half the time and players usually go where they like. If Felix really wants the move he may have to put his parts on and quite publicly. 

I didn't take that from his quotes, but maybe that's the pessimist in me! I read them as someone who realises he's currently here for a short time and doesn't want to upset his parent club by saying anything too positive about the new city and team and equally doesn't want to upset his current team and any potential future relations there, but the undertone felt very much like he knew he'd be going back in the summer unless something unexpected happened.

13 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I didn't take that from his quotes, but maybe that's the pessimist in me! I read them as someone who realises he's currently here for a short time and doesn't want to upset his parent club by saying anything too positive about the new city and team and equally doesn't want to upset his current team and any potential future relations there, but the undertone felt very much like he knew he'd be going back in the summer unless something unexpected happened.

You could be right and i'm probably not basing my opinion on much - i've just got the impression he's really enjoying his time here despite only playing 1 game so far. Could be absolute cobblers. You could argue he'd be a bit superfluous with Nkunku coming in.

• Like 1

Nkunku is a done deal according to all the reports. And he has/will cost considerably less than what it will cost to make Felix permanent. They play in the same position and are quite similar profiles:

Felix.png

Nkunku.png

Felix would have to set the world on fire for us for the rest of the season and even then Atletico would demand something silly so I can't see this happening.

He's played an hour and got sent off in that time, contributing to a painful defeat against a neighbour. I don't know why anyone would be thinking very much about him staying, or worrying about that being difficult or unlikely. Money aside, we're a long way from that being something we should be in favour of at this point.

I don't think many clubs hand out loan deals that have buy options. Most prefer obligations. Personally, I'm just glad we don't have that.

5 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

He's played an hour and got sent off in that time, contributing to a painful defeat against a neighbour. I don't know why anyone would be thinking very much about him staying, or worrying about that being difficult or unlikely. Money aside, we're a long way from that being something we should be in favour of at this point.

I don't think many clubs hand out loan deals that have buy options. Most prefer obligations. Personally, I'm just glad we don't have that.

In all fairness, I thought all the chatter about him had been a bit over the top in recent weeks so yesterday I watched his highlights from that game again. I do think he was very bloomin' good all things considered (until the sending off of course). Now it could speak to how starved we've been of any attacking intent for quite some time that a performance with no goals and assists could spark so much excitement... but if he plays like that every game (without the knee high tackles) he will be some player for us.

• Agree 1

Just now, FrankLampard8 said:

In all fairness, I thought all the chatter about him had been a bit over the top in recent weeks so yesterday I watched his highlights from that game again. I do think he was very bloomin' good all things considered (until the sending off of course). Now it could speak to how starved we've been of any attacking intent for quite some time that a performance with no goals and assists could spark so much excitement... but if he plays like that every game (without the knee high tackles) he will be some player for us.

I've watched some clips of training and he dances around our defenders like they're not even there, he's definitely a quality player , super quick feet .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Isn't it €140m ?

Don't know, he signed a new contract before he left which most saw as him extending his stay there, I was of the opinion that it probably had a lower, more realistic buy out involved otherwise the entire deal makes absolutely no sense, especially when we didn't include Badiashile in the champions League squad. 

I mean, if he's only here for the next few months someone, Mount, Sterling, Havertz, Mudryk, Madueke, Pulisic, Ziyech, Chuck, Fofana aren't going to be very happy sitting on the bench whilst he plays and then just leaves.

If there is absolutely no chance of him joining in the summer then it's the most ridiculous loan deal of all time, especially when you consider the amount of money we have spent on attacking players in the last 6 or so months. It will actually really, really piss me off every time he plays ahead of one of our own if he's just here until Simeone leaves.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Don't know, he signed a new contract before he left which most saw as him extending his stay there, I was of the opinion that it probably had a lower, more realistic buy out involved otherwise the entire deal makes absolutely no sense, especially when we didn't include Badiashile in the champions League squad. 

I mean, if he's only here for the next few months someone, Mount, Sterling, Havertz, Mudryk, Madueke, Pulisic, Ziyech, Chuck, Fofana aren't going to be very happy sitting on the bench whilst he plays and then just leaves.

If there is absolutely no chance of him joining in the summer then it's the most ridiculous loan deal of all time, especially when you consider the amount of money we have spent on attacking players in the last 6 or so months. It will actually really, really piss me off every time he plays ahead of one of our own if he's just here until Simeone leaves.

To be fair, when Felix was signed we did not yet have Mudryk or Madueke. We also had Sterling and Pulisic out with injury.

And our attacking options (Havertz, Mount, Ziyech, Pulisic etc) were all performing so badly that paying an 11m loan fee for five months made sense to the club at the time. It makes absolutely no difference to me if Felix starts ahead of our own players for the rest of the season. They have been bad for so long they deserve to lose their place to a rental.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Bison said:

To be fair, when Felix was signed we did not yet have Mudryk or Madueke. We also had Sterling and Pulisic out with injury.

And our attacking options (Havertz, Mount, Ziyech, Pulisic etc) were all performing so badly that paying an 11m loan fee for five months made sense to the club at the time. It makes absolutely no difference to me if Felix starts ahead of our own players for the rest of the season. They have been bad for so long they deserve to lose their place to a rental.

I'd much rather see Chuck or Fofana play then Felix. Makes much more sense to me to get OUR young players time on the pitch and adapted to the league in a season when we are likely to finish mid table, so have nothing to loose, as opposed to paying £11m+ and extortionate wages for a player that is only here because he has fallen out with his manager.

I'd also much rather have Badiashile in the champions League squad.

1 minute ago, martin1905 said:

I'd much rather see Chuck or Fofana play then Felix. Makes much more sense to me to get OUR young players time on the pitch and adapted to the league in a season when we are likely to finish mid table, so have nothing to loose, as opposed to paying £11m+ and extortionate wages for a player that is only here because he has fallen out with his manager.

I'd also much rather have Badiashile in the champions League squad.

Yeah, Badiashile is a huge miss in the Champions League.

It does make more sense for Chuck or Fofana to play ahead of Felix but they're not the ones he has/will replace in the starting 11. Potter keeps playing Mount, Havertz etc so if Felix replaces those players and does well I won't complain and I bet most fans won't either.

26 minutes ago, Bison said:

Yeah, Badiashile is a huge miss in the Champions League.

It does make more sense for Chuck or Fofana to play ahead of Felix but they're not the ones he has/will replace in the starting 11. Potter keeps playing Mount, Havertz etc so if Felix replaces those players and does well I won't complain and I bet most fans won't either.

Just to reiterate, I'm not against Felix, I was one of a very small handful on the old forum that really wanted us to sign him.

Naively, perhaps, despite media reports I thought there was no way in a million years we'd have spent that much on a loan and covered all his wages unless there was something that allowed us to buy him in the summer, his new contract with (potentially) a lower buy out clause, maybe. 

I'd happily never see Ziyech or Pulisic kick a ball for us again but even without them we have plenty and Felix playing means Havertz, Mount, Sterling, Fofana, Chuck and  Madueke vying for two positions as I think Mudryk will play the vast majority of games. Even if he doesn't play the exact position as some of them, most, if not all are very versatile so him playing absolutely effects them.

I just can't see the logic in picking him, at all, if he's not going to be here after the summer. I'm talking from a mangers point of view of course, a manger that has been bought in and promised time to build something, with an outrageous, and overall very young group of attacking players at his disposal.

50 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

I just can't see the logic in picking him, at all, if he's not going to be here after the summer. 

What about results?

If Potter thinks picking Felix gives us a better chance to win, especially in the CL, then pick him.

13 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

What about results?

If Potter thinks picking Felix gives us a better chance to win, especially in the CL, then pick him.

And piss off numerous other players in the process? 

For a player that, by the sounds of it has absolutely no intention of being here past the end of the season and is here just because he's had a falling out with his current manager?

We aren't going to win the champions League, no chance, so maybe give Fofana, Madueke or Chuckwuemeka some vital minutes in Europe. Could have had Badiashile playing instead.

The whole situation is a joke, especially the state we are in this season, mid table at best, absolutely no reason to play him above others. None.

36 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

And piss off numerous other players in the process? 

Well, if, like you suggest, we only pick forwards who are likely to be in the squad for 2023/24, then we are picking from (assuming Mount plays in midfield, and assuming he stays, and with Sterling injured):

Havertz, Mudryk, Modueke, Fofana........ Hutchinson clearly isn't ready, so whether you think it daft or not, one way or another we need to use a couple of players who are unlikely to be here next season, whether it is Felix or Ziyech, or possibly even Havertz who has been linked with a move away. 

Christ, Dortmund away, the frontline, choosing only players who are nailed on to be here in August......is Mudryk, Havertz..........and?

Am curious which players, who are definitely going to be with us next season, are going to be pissed off? 

37 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

For a player that, by the sounds of it has absolutely no intention of being here past the end of the season

Well, we don't know that, do we. There is no fixed option or obligation, which means Felix is somewhat tongue tied in any interview.

None of that means he definitely won't be here next season. We simply don't know. 

47 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

We aren't going to win the champions League, no chance, so maybe give Fofana, Madueke or Chuckwuemeka some vital minutes in Europe. Could have had Badiashile playing instead.

Well, we all would have said the same on 10th Feb 2012 or 10th Feb 2021.

We should do whatever it takes to try and win it, if nothing else. If that means upsetting Ziyech and PEA, then who cares?

Chuk is in the squad, BTW, and not picking Felix and picking Badiashile in the CL squad, still means Fofana D and Madueke can't be registered. 

47 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Well, if, like you suggest, we only pick forwards who are likely to be in the squad for 2023/24, then we are picking from (assuming Mount plays in midfield, and assuming he stays, and with Sterling injured):

Havertz, Mudryk, Modueke, Fofana........ Hutchinson clearly isn't ready, so whether you think it daft or not, one way or another we need to use a couple of players who are unlikely to be here next season, whether it is Felix or Ziyech, or possibly even Havertz who has been linked with a move away. 

Christ, Dortmund away, the frontline, choosing only players who are nailed on to be here in August......is Mudryk, Havertz..........and?

Am curious which players, who are definitely going to be with us next season, are going to be pissed off? 

Well, we don't know that, do we. There is no fixed option or obligation, which means Felix is somewhat tongue tied in any interview.

None of that means he definitely won't be here next season. We simply don't know. 

Well, we all would have said the same on 10th Feb 2012 or 10th Feb 2021.

We should do whatever it takes to try and win it, if nothing else. If that means upsetting Ziyech and PEA, then who cares?

Chuk is in the squad, BTW, and not picking Felix and picking Badiashile in the CL squad, still means Fofana D and Madueke can't be registered. 

Fair play, some very good points, very well made.

Just something about the whole situation doesn't sit right with me, maybe because I'm such a big fan of his and would love to see him here permanently and was very hopeful of it, now I'm not so sure. 

To be fair, I agree with everything you say but still fell like he's only here to get him out of the way until Simeone leaves and I don't like it.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Fair play, some very good points, very well made.

Just something about the whole situation doesn't sit right with me, maybe because I'm such a big fan of his and would love to see him here permanently and was very hopeful of it, now I'm not so sure. 

To be fair, I agree with everything you say but still fell like he's only here to get him out of the way until Simeone leaves and I don't like it.

BTW, are you going to Dortmund?

Signing Felix might well depend on who we can shift out. If he does well for us, and likes it here, he might do all he can to make the move happen

Edited by paulw66

50 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

BTW, are you going to Dortmund?

Signing Felix might well depend on who we can shift out. If he does well for us, and likes it here, he might do all he can to make the move happen

Maybe he will do a Lukaku and burn some bridges if he wants to stay here. (I'm talking interviews and transfer requests not pie eating and missing sitters).