Media Stories, Rumours and Gossip

JaneB

On 16/03/2024 at 13:05, Backbiter said:

That extract sounds like it was from an interview last summer. Not that I disagree with him about anything he says. I just adds some context to his struggles as caretaker and to Poch's struggles since he took over.

It might even be taken from this very long interview which was done after his role as caretaker came to an end. It's well worth watching.

I think Lamps' weaknesses have been in tactics, selection, and lack of attention to detail, in that he expected things would happen on the pitch rather than demand them from players. I suspect this was because he spent much of his career alongside gifted, experienced  players who maybe didn't need  such individual coaching, whereas the players he managed at Chelsea were either demotivated or were in desperate need of better coaching and guidance than he provided (or both).

He really had a thankless task trying to get the best out of a shambles of a squad, but the whole episode has undoubtedly harmed his prospects of landing another job at a big club. He's a very very bright bloke with an excellent understanding of all aspects of football, and in many ways he seems to have what it takes to make a success of management, but it hasn't worked out that way.

Can't disagree with any of that.The problem with Frank is he has entered the fray at the wrong time.

Do you really think any of the current players would hold him in any sort of esteem?. 

The manager is  surplus to requirements in the modern game at the highest level..

14 minutes ago, east lower said:

He’s got a high percentile chance of being the person that Harry Enfield modelled his character ‘Tory Boy’ on. That might be lost on a few of our younger members, but I’m guessing you may be of the generation that might have been around to have watched them. 

The article came from The Mirror, so no surprise it gets reported. All as bad as each other.

For people of the Harry Enfield, Fast Show, Vic Reeves Big Night Out era (and people who just enjoy some good TV) there’s a series that features Paul Whitehouse and Bob Mortimer on one of the less mainstream channels that does 30 minutes of just those two, doing a spot of fishing but generally talking life, and their own friendship. Mortimer had a heart bypass and Whitehouse dreamed up this way of them just enjoying each other’s company whilst letting others enjoy them and their humour. Plus there’s some wonderful countryside to marvel at. They did an episode on the River Test in Hampshire, simply stunning.

Some really funny and genuinely touching moments. A great watch for just chilling, giggling a bit, thought provoking but perfect for relaxing with a cup of tea/coffee/beer/wine or whatever takes your fancy. I’ll look it up and if people want to have a gander, PM me and I’ll let them know what channel in the UK it’s on and its name.

Anyway, sorry - wandered way off topic there.

Edit: It’s called Gone Fishing with aforementioned characters and looks like you might be able to watch it on the BBC iPlayer or UKTV Play.

My wife is used to me calling out politicians when they appear on TV.When ever I see Gove my wife says  there's your mate "beaker" (as in the muppets.)

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, kev61 said:

My wife is used to me calling out politicians when they appear on TV.When ever I see Gove my wife says  there's your mate "beaker" (as in the muppets.)

Must be peas from the same pod.  Plus the wife tends to try to disguise the fact that she's watching one of the talk channels on TV in the mornings im about and there might be one of them on there, avoiding giving justbone straight answer to the interviewers questions. Can't abide the majority of them. Used to think that the majority of them were self-serving pigs with their snouts in the trough. Now I KNOW they are exactly that with a heady mixture of woke sensibilities that's driving the country to ruination. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, east lower said:

Must be peas from the same pod.  Plus the wife tends to try to disguise the fact that she's watching one of the talk channels on TV in the mornings im about and there might be one of them on there, avoiding giving justbone straight answer to the interviewers questions. Can't abide the majority of them. Used to think that the majority of them were self-serving pigs with their snouts in the trough. Now I KNOW they are exactly that with a heady mixture of woke sensibilities that's driving the country to ruination. 

it's a climate of fear , none of them dare say what they think as then it's goodbye to the gravy train and the country and the little people like us are the losers . 

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, east lower said:

Can't abide the majority of them. Used to think that the majority of them were self-serving pigs with their snouts in the trough. Now I KNOW they are exactly that with a heady mixture of woke sensibilities that's driving the country to ruination. 

This probably won't be a popular opinion, but if we want to see elite level people going into politics then we need to start paying them the kind of money which will attract them.

Going into politics for the morally sound reason of  "serving the public"  might look good on paper, but that doesn't lead to us having the kind of people we need to sort out lots of complex problems both in the present and for the future. 

I do agree with you about damage  divisive wokeness is doing to this country. Not just this country either, sad to say. 

8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

it's a climate of fear , none of them dare say what they think as then it's goodbye to the gravy train and the country and the little people like us are the losers . 

The late Tony Benn had respect for Thatcher because she said what she meant and meant what she said, regardless of how popular or unpopular it was.  Left, right or centre, that is what any leader and all politicians  of a country should do! 

• Agree 1

Just now, boratsbrother said:

The late Tony Benn had respect for Thatcher because she said what she meant and meant what she said, regardless of how popular or unpopular it was.  Left, right or centre, that is what any leader and all politicians  of a country should do! 

Yes , the courage of their convictions , like debate , both are now dead and Politics is a career and not a vocation and it appears they're only interested in what the country can do for them and not what they can do for the country . 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Sorry.the day tony benn agrees with Maggie is the day I will  head for the nearest kebutz(and even then will be controversy.

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

This probably won't be a popular opinion, but if we want to see elite level people going into politics then we need to start paying them the kind of money which will attract them.

Going into politics for the morally sound reason of  "serving the public"  might look good on paper, but that doesn't lead to us having the kind of people we need to sort out lots of complex problems both in the present and for the future. 

I do agree with you about damage  divisive wokeness is doing to this country. Not just this country either, sad to say. 

I agree, if you want the best leaders, captains of industry then the basic salary of an MP won’t attract them in, generally. The people in cabinets and shadow cabinets have made their millions in the majority. Do I believe the the recently published earnings and taxation of a certain party leader represents his actual incomes at £150k - not a chance.

But, a great deal of MP’s do not survive on salaries alone. Expenses and allowances probably multiply their earnings by two or more fold.

Not sure if this still is the case, but if an MP did one term in office then they were entitled to receive a full final salary pension. 20 years of that’s worth close to a million. Not the 20-30 years that the civil/public service people have to serve to be entitled to that. It’s a very privileged gig.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

There’s solutions to the most important issues facing the country but they most certainly wouldn’t be popular - vote losers. Rochdale recently being an example, upset the wrong people = lose votes.

• Agree 1

Just now, east lower said:

There’s solutions to the most important issues facing the country but they most certainly wouldn’t be popular - vote losers. Rochdale recently being an example, upset the wrong people = lose votes.

Yep the politics of cowardice 

• Agree 3

STOP IT EVERYONE!!!!  I knew this would happen.  NO POLITICS!!!!  How many more times??

I'm fed up with members not taking me seriously thinking I'm a soft touch all the time and then when I do come down on someone they (you know who you are) accuse me of picking on them.

Can't we just love Chelsea Football Club and love each other on here whilst making room for robust but civil debate?

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, JaneB said:

STOP IT EVERYONE!!!!  I knew this would happen.  NO POLITICS!!!!  How many more times??

I'm fed up with members not taking me seriously thinking I'm a soft touch all the time and then when I do come down on someone they (you know who you are) accuse me of picking on them.

Can't we just love Chelsea Football Club and love each other on here whilst making room for robust but civil debate?

Thank you.

Jane..as always..is right... I'm as guilty as anyone and just by commenting on the comical idea of QPR VIP helped to encourage the opening up of the subject and like all posters didn't think my post was political...at least to start with.

A reasonable acceptable comment gets a like reply..again...no real politics at the root but incrementally the subject expands again without a desire to argue politics and before we know where we are politics is front and centre with no intention of such.

The sometimes downside of the freewheeling enjoyable debates that sneak in on here.

Apologies to the Mods from me and hopefully from all who care to appreciate that we should self police ourselves better.

Speaking for myself only but hoping it strikes a cord elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, chara said:

Jane..as always..is right... I'm as guilty as anyone and just by commenting on the comical idea of QPR VIP helped to encourage the opening up of the subject and like all posters didn't think my post was political...at least to start with.

A reasonable acceptable comment gets a like reply..again...no real politics at the root but incrementally the subject expands again without a desire to argue politics and before we know where we are politics is front and centre with no intention of such.

The sometimes downside of the freewheeling enjoyable debates that sneak in on here.

Apologies to the Mods from me and hopefully from all who care to appreciate that we should self police ourselves better.

Speaking for myself only but hoping it strikes a cord elsewhere.

Of course and the thing about that subject matter is where the line gets drawn on what is acceptable and not acceptable - so I suppose the law of 'None of it is' is the easiest line to moderate. I did think that most people who did comment didn't give outrageous or unacceptable views or comment. But I take my own share of the chastisement with good grace and move on.

• Thanks 2

Simon Kuper has long been my favourite football writer and now when he has teamed up with Mehreen Khan from The Times, who is a big Chelsea fan, to do the Heroes & Humans football podcast. I listened to their premiere episode about Mbappé last week. In their new episode this morning they explore the life of Roman Abramovich. Even for me, it offered many glimpses and facts which I wasn't aware of.

And they tell the story beautifully:

"Abramovich started at Chelsea painfully aware of his big handicap: he knew no more about football than the average fan. So he displayed another secret of his success: he is a good listener. Despite being the master of all he surveyed at an historically mediocre club, initially he barely opened his mouth."

• Love 1

Back on football.loaning out players makes no sense.If they can't make here they should be sold.

Name the players that went out on loan that game back better players?....Conor maybe,?.

45 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Back on football.loaning out players makes no sense.If they can't make here they should be sold.

Name the players that went out on loan that game back better players?....Conor maybe,?.

Take your point kev...but JT  ?...not too shabby,,, Christensen ?..opinions may differ but...Mount ?...like the Academy system...when it works it's brilliant (and rare).....when a loanee returns and sold for a reasonable price it's part of the system but do agree that there is an awful lot of falling by the wayside.

13 minutes ago, chara said:

Take your point kev...but JT  ?...not too shabby,,, Christensen ?..opinions may differ but...Mount ?...like the Academy system...when it works it's brilliant (and rare).....when a loanee returns and sold for a reasonable price it's part of the system but do agree that there is an awful lot of falling by the wayside.

I have to bow to your superior knowledge.Did JT go out on loan and Christensen and Mount?

5 minutes ago, kev61 said:

I have to bow to your superior knowledge.Did JT go out on loan and Christensen and Mount?

Yep...all on record..think JT had two one at Forest?..AC was abroad and Mason at Derby..with Tomori..among others,,,still doesn't invalidate your point.

3 minutes ago, chara said:

Yep...all on record..think JT had two one at Forest?..AC was abroad and Mason at Derby..with Tomori..among others,,,still doesn't invalidate your point.

The obvious one is Mount at Derby.My memory is as reliable as a swiss clock that went down with the Titanic.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

The obvious one is Mount at Derby.My memory is as reliable as a swiss clock that went down with the Titanic.

Mount and Tomori. I’d love to know what really went on with their exits from the club.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, kev61 said:

Reece James (Wigan loan)

Caveat - When he actually has been on the pitch.

But I think your point about selling academy players is one of the two main reasons it exists. It produces relatively high numbers of professional footballers, the majority don’t end up playing for us - but have assisted in the financing of us.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, east lower said:

Reece James (Wigan loan)

Caveat - When he actually has been on the pitch.

But I think your point about selling academy players is one of the two main reasons it exists. It produces relatively high numbers of professional footballers, the majority don’t end up playing for us - but have assisted in the financing of us.

I wonder what players have assisted in our finances?.All I see is players that are a drain on our finances by incompetent management.