Media Stories, Rumours and Gossip

JaneB

Here's a good one , from a gossip site 

Everton's official owner Farhad Moshiri aroused confusion this week when he replied "it's not my decision" to questions about the the club's manager. 

There have long been whispers that the Moshiri is in fact a frontman for Uzbek oligarch (and close pal of Putin) Alisher Usmanov, whose companies sponsored Everton until the war in Ukraine.

A few years back, a small group of journalists went to meet Usmanov in Moscow. After landing in a private jet, the hacks were collected at the airport in a blacked out limo, driven by none other than Farhad Moshiri, who spent the week as their driver and bag carrier.

"He was really our travel agent. It was a very strange dynamic," said Times reporter Matt Dickinson.

Thank goodness they stole our club from us and not "The school of science"

Edited by Mark Kelly

4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I understand why they're going for him but it's just going to be two points outside relegation , heinous football , mediocrity forthwith.

BUT..Mark...whilst I agree completely with your post...those two points are priceless to a fan as I'm sure you remember with a shudder.

Not sure if this is the right place but here goes.

The Media reinventing "football" language.

During the WC some weird and wonderful statistics began appearing in the corner of our screens.

I see now similar inroads are appearing in EPL and Cup games..at least on the streams and channels I watch here..

Sterling, in a post on here...is quoted in the report as "being back on the grass" or such....I think the amazing advances in pitch quality has made the game so much better ALL season but it's not so long ago it would have read like..."back on the quagmire!"....just an example.

My early football days were at a time when "Give it some Wellie"  was the pinnacle of elite level tactical advice so the reading of convoluted  statistics is giving me headaches.

Anyone else struggling?

I see it all as the ultimate "jobs worth" justification effort from all forms of Media...to prove they are on the cutting edge, woke in a football sense and as ever far superior in their knowledge of the game than us deluded fans.

(Did I ever mention I HATE the MEDIA?)

6 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

"Ginger Mourinho" Dyche set for Everton job, accordingly to Auntie - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/64422610. Couldn't happen to a nicer club ...

6 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I understand why they're going for him but it's just going to be two points outside relegation , heinous football , mediocrity forthwith.

I will raise a glass or eight if they go down. 

Doesn't matter how plop they are, we struggle up there. 

An apology has been issued on behalf of Chelsea player Mykhailo Mudryk after he appeared to use the N-word in a video posted on social media.

The forward, who joined Chelsea from Shakhtar Donetsk this month in a deal worth €70 million, was reciting the lyrics to a song on TikTok in a post from last year.

He has now deleted the video.

"Mykhailo is deeply sorry for any offense caused by the video posted on his TikTok account last July," his representative reportedly told the Sun newspaper.

"Whilst his intention was solely to recite lyrics of a song, Mykhailo regrets his decision and wholeheartedly accepts it was not appropriate. The video has since been removed."

Chelsea has not responded to a request for comment

Anti-racism group Kick it Out said it condemned the use of the N-word regardless of context.

"The N-word is deeply offensive and the use of this term by high-profile figures in football can only serve to alienate people from the game. It is important that footballers use their significant platform in a positive way, and we're encouraged to see that Mykhailo Mudryk has acknowledged the hurt caused by his use of this offensive slur," Kick it Out said.

Mudryk, a 22-year-old Ukraine international, made his Chelsea debut against Liverpool earlier this month and is part of a squad overhaul by American owners Todd Boehly and Clearlake Capital.

Screenshot_20230131_140548_Chrome.jpg

I saw this and am a bit mixed on it..   the N word should never be used in conversation etc (imo) but if singing along to the lyrics of a song that does include it..  is that offensive in the same way?

edit: just raised this with a guy at work and he said that it would be offensive..  what anyone does in the own home is upto them but recording it is where it went wrong.. so fair enough as I can't comment from personal experience!

Edited by Waspeze

4 minutes ago, Waspeze said:

I saw this and am a bit mixed on it..   the N word should never be used in conversation etc (imo) but if singing along to the lyrics of a song that does include it..  is that offensive in the same way?

The story originated in the Sun I believe 

The newspaper who actually employed someone to hack mobile phone text message of murdered children "because headlines" so I expect from the very moment Mudryk signed they've employed someone to go through his online media record just in case they could turn the screw a bit more. They want to take the shine off the Chelsea signing for money and they want us to be "conflicted" 

No right minded person would use the slur and it's been that way since I was a kid , Mudryk is just a foreign kid singing along with a rap song to look cool and nothing more. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

The story originated in the Sun I believe 

The newspaper who actually employed someone to hack mobile phone text message of murdered children "because headlines" so I expect from the very moment Mudryk signed they've employed someone to go through his online media record just in case they could turn the screw a bit more. They want to take the shine off the Chelsea signing for money and they want us to be "conflicted" 

No right minded person would use the slur and it's been that way since I was a kid , Mudryk is just a foreign kid singing along with a rap song to look cool and nothing more. 

BIB -- Ain't that the truth!!

1 hour ago, Waspeze said:

edit: just raised this with a guy at work and he said that it would be offensive..  what anyone does in the own home is upto them but recording it is where it went wrong.. so fair enough as I can't comment from personal experience!

I think offence is probably the wrong way to look at it. It isn't, or shouldn't be, about upset at the transgression of a rule or expectation. It's about the pain and hurt the use, the presence, of a word can and does cause, particularly to people who are on the receiving end of vitriolic use of that word. In some ways, how casually that word can be used is probably the specific cause of the pain.

My expectation is, though, that most people with experience of discrimination and racial abuse find themselves feeling less bothered about a footballer who speaks little English seeming unthinkingly and insensitively rapping along to a song than they do almost all other forms of racism. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recall in the showers after a game in Spain....guys singing along in garbled English to a Beatles song......copying words they knew not.

Desperate attempt to make a headline..as Ham said..more or less...ban the song if it offends..awful word of course in any use but really ?.

21 minutes ago, Ham said:

It gets better.......

My personal view is that if you don't want to hear people singing lyrics containing the N word, make it illegal to write songs containing the N word. 

They'll do it because it's us not because of  what he did . It's so pitifully transparent .

We should tell our English players they can't play for England until the head of the FA stands down . 

If it wasn't so sad,,and dangerous..it would be funny.....now,,lets excuse or understate such pastimes as attacking a dj's, abuse girl friends drive drunk "philander (boys will be boys after all)and on and on....

Sing a song in a less than familiar language?...wrath of the Gods.... (You should hear my version of La Bamba before I obtained a bit of Spanish!)

I truly hate and despise the Media.

3 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

And a ban will be given out… welcome to Chelsea young man.

I can't see that being accepted by the club. Where does that precedent end? Someone has had this in a holster and has pulled the trigger now mischievously. 

He had nothing to do with Chelsea in July 22. 

22 minutes ago, Ham said:

I can't see that being accepted by the club. Where does that precedent end? Someone has had this in a holster and has pulled the trigger now mischievously. 

He had nothing to do with Chelsea in July 22. 

My guess is that the FA have no real interest in investigating, but can't not do it. It's just too big a reputational risk for them to be seen to not investigate a clear case of an England-based player using racist language. 

I'd be surprised if there was a particularly strong punishment. A small fine, imo. Everyone can say they did what was right that way.

5 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

My guess is that the FA have no real interest in investigating, but can't not do it. It's just too big a reputational risk for them to be seen to not investigate a clear case of an England-based player using racist language. 

I'd be surprised if there was a particularly strong punishment. A small fine, imo. Everyone can say they did what was right that way.

I suppose Shaktar can afford it .

5 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

You're probably right although that would set a precedent as the FA would also need to fine Tottenham every time their majority non-jewish fans used the Y word. 

It's constant throughout every game.

Sky today consistently referring to the "loophole" that we've used to cheat FFP. The fact that Europpean clubs have been doing this for years is tactfully ignored.

Also they are attempting to trawl up any and all has been ex players who are prepared to trot out the same old tut about us "massively" overpaying for Enzo. Let's be honest it's not that much more than the £100m for Grealish who hasn't exactly backed up that level of fee.

As an aside it's a constant source of irritation for me how certain players are constantly referred to by just their christian name in the media. Jack (Grealish), Jack (Wilshere), Trent, Frank or Harry as if they're everyone's best mate. Maybe we should go the whole hog and just give everyone a nickname the way the Brazilans do. Or maybe I'm just becoming a grumpy old git.