Media Stories, Rumours and Gossip

JaneB

1 minute ago, Holymoly said:

Sky today consistently referring to the "loophole" that we've used to cheat FFP. The fact that Europpean clubs have been doing this for years is tactfully ignored.

Also they are attempting to trawl up any and all has been ex players who are prepared to trot out the same old tut about us "massively" overpaying for Enzo. Let's be honest it's not that much more than the £100m for Grealish who hasn't exactly backed up that level of fee.

As an aside it's a constant source of irritation for me how certain players are constantly referred to by just their christian name in the media. Jack (Grealish), Jack (Wilshere), Trent, Frank or Harry as if they're everyone's best mate. Maybe we should go the whole hog and just give everyone a nickname the way the Brazilans do. Or maybe I'm just becoming a grumpy old git.

As I said in a different thread , the fee for Enzo works out as £13m more than United paid for Paul Pogba.  Pogba by any metric was an absolute disaster for United from start to finish. 

As far as I'm concerned it's none of our business how much City paid for Grealish and it's nobody's business how much we have paid for Enzo. It's all pure jealousy.

For what it's worth I think both will go on to justify their fees anyway. I know Grealish is disliked by many cfcnet folk, but I think this is as much to do with his idiosyncratic hairstyle and sock style as anything else. I think accusations of diving are a little unfair: what he does is hold on to the ball much more than almost any other player and as a result he gets hacked down a lot.

20 minutes ago, RDCW said:

As far as I'm concerned it's none of our business how much City paid for Grealish and it's nobody's business how much we have paid for Enzo. It's all pure jealousy.

I also think Enzo has one more World Cup to his name than "Jack"

PS I don't really have anything against Grealish, it's more the media and their fixation on calling him by his christian name. I'm not about to play the xenophobia card here but I doubt our new signing will ever be referred to as Enzo on TalkSport unless they have trouble pronouncing "Fernández" that is, rather like they do with our GK.

1 minute ago, Holymoly said:

I also think Enzo has one more World Cup to his name than "Jack"

PS I don't really have anything against Grealish, it's more the media and their fixation on calling him by his christian name. I'm not about to play the xenophobia card here but I doubt our new signing will ever be referred to as Enzo on TalkSport unless they have trouble pronouncing "Fernández" that is, rather like they do with our GK.

Well sure. Even the great Frank Lampard was rarely referred to simply as "Frank" by the media.

Odd to hear Simon Jordan and Jim White defending Chelsea FC against the bufoon that is Martin Keown (and previously in the week, Danny Murphy). Jordan has clearly developed a relationship of sorts (over the WC) with Todd Boehly to the point that he has been made aware of certain aspects of Tuchel's sacking as well as the squad development aims and ethos. Obviously it isn't going to make people suddenly become Chelsea supporters, although doubtless there will be a need for more prawn sandwiches in hospitality at the Bridge after the January window, however hopefully other members of the media may learn to stfu.

19 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Odd to hear Simon Jordan and Jim White defending Chelsea FC against the bufoon that is Martin Keown (and previously in the week, Danny Murphy). Jordan has clearly developed a relationship of sorts (over the WC) with Todd Boehly to the point that he has been made aware of certain aspects of Tuchel's sacking as well as the squad development aims and ethos. Obviously it isn't going to make people suddenly become Chelsea supporters, although doubtless there will be a need for more prawn sandwiches in hospitality at the Bridge after the January window, however hopefully other members of the media may learn to stfu.

couple of brilliant interviews with Jordan on Talk Sport over the last few days. how he puts up with the idiots he works with, is beyond me 

5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

couple of brilliant interviews with Jordan on Talk Sport over the last few days. how he puts up with the idiots he works with, is beyond me 

I saw one the other day where he was defending Chelsea's use of long contracts, and he was making the point that many others in the media (be they 'sports journalists' or former players) are ignoring; that a) long contracts are not a "loophole" (and he thought it restraint of trade for UEFA to curtail amortisation to 5 years), b) are just as much of a 'risk' as a safeguard and c) the base wages are low, but bonuses high, so the idea of 8 years on £250,000/week are nonsensical.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

I saw one the other day where he was defending Chelsea's use of long contracts, and he was making the point that many others in the media (be they 'sports journalists' or former players) are ignoring; that a) long contracts are not a "loophole" (and he thought it restraint of trade for UEFA to curtail amortisation to 5 years), b) are just as much of a 'risk' as a safeguard and c) the base wages are low, but bonuses high, so the idea of 8 years on £250,000/week are nonsensical.

He is clearly quite an intelligent guy, he is actually able to put any tribal nonsense aside (he is a palace fan afterall) when discussing football.

44 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

5 PL goals and 8 overall, in a season and a half, in a team that creates A LOT is not much of a return.

I get that, but he is better than those stats and he doesn't start consistently in the Abu Dhabi All-stars. I'm not saying he's world-class, but I think he's a good player.

Just read a patronising, sneering article in the guardian (lower case!) by Barney Ronay throwing no light on the intricacies of the "New" Chelsea transfer dealings but certainly offering a "Look At Me..aren't I clever and on the cutting edge" byline.

In case I haven't mentioned it before I hate the media.

2 minutes ago, chara said:

Just read a patronising, sneering article in the guardian (lower case!) by Barney Ronay throwing no light on the intricacies of the "New" Chelsea transfer dealings but certainly offering a "Look At Me..aren't I clever and on the cutting edge" byline.

In case I haven't mentioned it before I hate the media.

Thing there is Liew and Wilson have written the exact same piece in the Guardian over the last 5 days. Seems bizarre to me to have your writing staff all just doing variations on a theme, is that really what readers want?

My take on it is that they've all swerved saying what they actually want because it might bite them on the bum, and said a stupider version instead. The spending and strategy is not incoherent or incomprehensible, at all. The logic behind it is very clear. It just might prove very stupid logic. Can't have that up online if we click in the next year or two and piss the league, though.

@thevelourfog....as you say.."not incoherent or incomprehensible" and " the logic is clear".....same as when people ask me if I know what I am doing.."Yes I know exactly what I'm doing...what I don't know, as yet, is if it's the right thing to do!"

I read articles to gain an insight or different viewpoint into a subject not to be subjected to a "stupider version" of anything as you rightly point out.

My fault for thinking I might learn something although as ever the expression "A wise man can learn from a fool but a fool...?"...not in this case though. (Assuming a modicum of "wiseness" on my part!)

Sky Sports News and the totally professional Mike Wedderburn talking about City and their allegations of financial wrongdoings. He fails to explain the difference between City's misdemeanours and the questions about us and our transfer policy that he's been banging on about all last week. He actually asks the reporter "why just City?". Well Mike, it ain't anything to do with transfers its inflating profits by hiding wages and artificially creating sponsorship with a bit of tapping up thrown in. I want to throw things at the TV when certain individuals attempt to tar ourselves with the same brush. We took our medicine over tapping up and registration of youngsters and accepted a transfer ban. We lived through the government and the league attempting to put us out of business and yet we're still here. Meanwhile City got around UEFA sanctions by claiming statute of limitations which kind of shoots them in the foot when it comes to defending themselves here as they basically said "well you can't judge us on that anyway". Err well yes the Premier League can. So no Mike, stop trying to drag us into it in the eyes of the gullible audience. Why just City? Because it is just them and the likes of PSG that are funded by nation states that blatantly circumvented the rules. It's telling too the way Newcastle are approaching life with their own deep pocketed sugar daddy. They are being most circumspect about how they are going about things. Clearly they have seen the writing on the wall.

I really do hope City has the book thrown at them if only so the Premier League can show it really has teeth and is prepared to stand up to its members. I feel for the supporters, less so for the players as I'm sure they were aware of the manner they were being paid. Pep is an interesting case though after his statement last year where he said he trusted City to have done the right thing when they had told him they were totally innocent but that effectively he would walk away if this ended up being false. Time will tell.

It seems City's defense at the moment is to try and have the evidence thrown out as it was illegally obtained. Morally they would remain guilty and hopefully the Premier League will stick to its guns, especially as there is no right of appeal in this case. I just hope this doesn't get dragged out for another 4 years. Kick them back down to League 2, the supporters will stick with them god bless them, and we'll offer Pep political asylum in west London.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

Sky Sports News and the totally professional Mike Wedderburn talking about City and their allegations of financial wrongdoings. He fails to explain the difference between City's misdemeanours and the questions about us and our transfer policy that he's been banging on about all last week. He actually asks the reporter "why just City?". Well Mike, it ain't anything to do with transfers its inflating profits by hiding wages and artificially creating sponsorship with a bit of tapping up thrown in. I want to throw things at the TV when certain individuals attempt to tar ourselves with the same brush. We took our medicine over tapping up and registration of youngsters and accepted a transfer ban. We lived through the government and the league attempting to put us out of business and yet we're still here. Meanwhile City got around UEFA sanctions by claiming statute of limitations which kind of shoots them in the foot when it comes to defending themselves here as they basically said "well you can't judge us on that anyway". Err well yes the Premier League can. So no Mike, stop trying to drag us into it in the eyes of the gullible audience. Why just City? Because it is just them and the likes of PSG that are funded by nation states that blatantly circumvented the rules. It's telling too the way Newcastle are approaching life with their own deep pocketed sugar daddy. They are being most circumspect about how they are going about things. Clearly they have seen the writing on the wall.

I really do hope City has the book thrown at them if only so the Premier League can show it really has teeth and is prepared to stand up to its members. I feel for the supporters, less so for the players as I'm sure they were aware of the manner they were being paid. Pep is an interesting case though after his statement last year where he said he trusted City to have done the right thing when they had told him they were totally innocent but that effectively he would walk away if this ended up being false. Time will tell.

It seems City's defense at the moment is to try and have the evidence thrown out as it was illegally obtained. Morally they would remain guilty and hopefully the Premier League will stick to its guns, especially as there is no right of appeal in this case. I just hope this doesn't get dragged out for another 4 years. Kick them back down to League 2, the supporters will stick with them god bless them, and we'll offer Pep political asylum in west London.

Apparently poor old Mike is a "lifelong City Fan" to quote his biography . No wonder he's struggling . 

• Like 1

On 03/02/2023 at 18:02, RDCW said:

I get that, but he is better than those stats and he doesn't start consistently in the Abu Dhabi All-stars. I'm not saying he's world-class, but I think he's a good player.

Still over hyped, overpaid, a drama king and behaves like an idiot off the pitch, but apart from that 🙄