Ben Chilwell

JaneB

3 hours ago, Miguelito07 said:

I get your point. But not sure if would have made a difference against a ten man Burnley team 

Valid point but may have made a difference against the starting eleven...if the disallowed goal had stood I think we would have had a different theme post game. (Not better,,just different!)

The injury withdrawal ploy has been around forever...I find it unacceptable that the International admin or whatever are prepared to call up players with known injury issues..niggly or more serious... and play them in pointless games..the Clubs should be stricter and more sensible..or show more interest in the well being of their employees...as ever...domestic leagues support the International money machine not the other way round.

As I recall..regardless of opinions re Michael Owen his career was basically finished by a serious injury playing for England ... again as I recall in a competitive game (?),,,same chance in a pointless "friendly"..worth it for any player? (Club asset)

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, jasonb said:

Chilwell could should take the initiative and retire from internationals at least until he is able to play over 20 games a season.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, jasonb said:

Chilwell could take the initiative and retire from internationals at least until he is able to play over 20 games a season.

According to Poch - he came back on Friday "had his knee drained" and then was ill by Saturday.  And then missed two games. 

Club, player, Manager and National team coach have all been very poor here.  It's not really acceptable. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Bert19 said:

According to Poch - he came back on Friday "had his knee drained" and then was ill by Saturday.  And then missed two games. 

Club, player, Manager and National team coach have all been very poor here.  It's not really acceptable. 

Agree. He doesn’t seem to know his own body very well and isn’t being managed at all well either.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bert19 said:

I may be missing something, but I am unclear what the club, player or coaches could have done. A player is called up, injured, treated, and then gets sick for a few days, leaving him to have to get fit again. I don't know if the illness was a direct consequence of the injury or treatment. 

If anyone is responsible for this nonsense, it is bodies like FIFA/UEFA/FA that call up players to play stupid and unnecessary national fixtures for the benefit of themselves and their organisations. We have too many fixtures for players; they are breaking down as a result, and no one is doing anything about it. No one outside these organisations seriously thinks that international football is the peak of achievement for a player or particularly entertaining for the fans. It is generally very dull, and there is insufficient time to build team relationships, so the quality of play is poor. The whole thing is an exercise in self-aggrandisement for petty bureaucrats coupled with commercial exploitation. 

We need to impose an annual sporting moratorium on elite players. They must not be allowed to take part in any sport-related activity for at least three weeks every summer out of season.

Edited by Sciatika
  • Agree 3