Ben Chilwell

JaneB

1 hour ago, Bison said:

If RJ was available right now I'd be advocating for Gusto to play LB. Whoever we sign should be looking to make the position their own. 

OK. We get it. You don't like Ben Chilwell.  Can you now shift focus onto something useful rather than just making the same point with every post please? 

The Club obviously feel differently to you (as they should) and are likely looking for competition / cover for Chilwell in the same way they did with Reece. 

Edited by Bert19
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

My view is that Chilly has become something of a curate's egg. He is undoubtedly capable of galvanising our attack and can score a goal or two, but he is something of a defensive liability and is becoming frustratingly less effective out wide : he tends to cut inside and pass backwards, stopping the forward momentum (especially in comparison to Reece James and Malo Gusto). Whether this  is due to his injuries is difficult to tell, but our left sided attacks are frequently floundering because of his reluctance to be more progressive.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RDCW said:

My view is that Chilly has become something of a curate's egg. He is undoubtedly capable of galvanising our attack and can score a goal or two, but he is something of a defensive liability and is becoming frustratingly less effective out wide : he tends to cut inside and pass backwards, stopping the forward momentum (especially in comparison to Reece James and Malo Gusto). Whether this  is due to his injuries is difficult to tell, but our left sided attacks are frequently floundering because of his reluctance to be more progressive.

This may also be because our usual left winger (Sterling) doesn't stretch play, doesn't release the ball for overlaps or provide any defensive cover at all though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bert19 said:

This may also be because our usual left winger (Sterling) doesn't stretch play, doesn't release the ball for overlaps or provide any defensive cover at all though.

I don't think we can point to Sterling as the issue for this game, as he wasn't on the pitch until minute 79.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Bert19 said:

He does provide decisive moments though imo. I am not saying that’s enough and I do think we need more consistency from Raheem. 

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

He does provide decisive moments though imo. I am not saying that’s enough and I do think we need more consistency from Raheem. 

My biggest criticism of him is he appears to be playing for Sterling FC most of the time. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Bison said:

Surprise surprise.

Weeks and months of terrible form and then an injury. Same old pattern every couple of months.

He's as broken as James , this really cannot keep going on , what the bloody hell are the medical team doing ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

He's as broken as James , this really cannot keep going on , what the bloody hell are the medical team doing ? 

Unfortunately the new owners got rid of the established medical team, outsourced it to agencies because they know better. Doris the tea lady is currently putting Reece James through his paces.

Edited by blueboy1905
Spelling
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, blueboy1905 said:

Unfortunately the new owners got rid of the established medical team, outsourced it to agencies because they know better. Doris the tea lady is currently putting Reece James through his paces.

yeah, Chilwell and James had no injury problems prior to the new owners.............

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Chilwell was called up to the England squad.

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Course he was.

On 07/03/2024 at 13:06, Bison said:

Surprise surprise.

Weeks and months of terrible form and then an injury. Same old pattern every couple of months.

So he's not badly injured then? Missed one game. 

• 2 weeks later...

Currently watching England vs Brazil and Chilwell is comfortably the worst player on the pitch.

Laughing out loud reading the comments from England fans who aren't subjected to his pathetic performances on a weekly basis.

Chilly was a good, sometimes very good player for us! However, he has been a pale shadow of that player when he's played this season.

Maybe the injuries have taken a toll on him and he simply can't get back to the level he once was? At the moment, it's looking like Cucu is the better option for that position, which is an indication of just how much Chilly is struggling.

22 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Chilly was a good, sometimes very good player for us! However, he has been a pale shadow of that player when he's played this season.

Maybe the injuries have taken a toll on him and he simply can't get back to the level he once was? At the moment, it's looking like Cucu is the better option for that position, which is an indication of just how much Chilly is struggling.

Injuries, a lack of rhythm, and the tactical changes we've gone through have likely all played their park in his drop off. 

I don't think he's as effective operating as a bonafide fullback that's there to support his winger, overlap, and interchange passes. The wingback role he was excelling in prior basically removed all of that support stuff he'd have to generally provide, instead it allowed him to be the main wide operator and as such he could perch himself high up the pitch pretty frequently. The focus was more about rewarding his runs forward and his useful knack of making those runs from deep where he'd get in behind a defence. 

He'll be 28 in December, so it's getting to a point where if he can't stay fit next season then we may have to start looking at other options and considering his future. Big upcoming 12 months for him IMO.

Edit - Just looked up his profile and shocked to see he's only played 69 league games for what is now his fourth season here. Really puts an emphasis on just how much football he's missed.

Edited by xceleryx

Thought he played quite well tonight other than the 2 wild shots from  outside the area. He’s still coming back from injury, seems fitter and better form will come, as it always has in the past.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Genuinely annoyed that he was allowed to go on England duty (seemingly with no agreement on no of minutes he could play), started two pointless games and then missed the weekend as a result.  

If the Manager has agreed to let him go and we've lost him again as a result, then that's yet another glaring error on his part to be honest. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Bert19 said:

Genuinely annoyed that he was allowed to go on England duty (seemingly with no agreement on no of minutes he could play), started two pointless games and then missed the weekend as a result.  

If the Manager has agreed to let him go and we've lost him again as a result, then that's yet another glaring error on his part to be honest. 

Arsenal got away from keeping Saka away from the England squad and then having him making a Lazarus type recovery to be available for the Man City game last weekend. Said it elsewhere, but if you don’t join up with the squad then you don’t play the next two club games - stops those shenanigans straightaways.

Some might say cute move by Arteta, given there’s no downside for him.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Bert19 said:

I get your point. But not sure if would have made a difference against a ten man Burnley team