Ben Chilwell

JaneB

18 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Only seen the headlines, but apparently Matt Law has said on a podcast that it’s imminent and might even see him in the squad as early as this weekend apparently 

Great news, we are crying out for a new winger. Hail Poch genius tactician!

On 07/05/2023 at 10:51, Bison said:

Yet another stinker followed up with another hamstring injury. Brilliant timing on that extension.

100m worth of left backs with 3.5 years and 4.5 years on their deals and neither one will be first choice come the start of next season. Might not even be first choice for the rest of this season. Brilliant squad building as always. 

1 hour ago, Bison said:

100m worth of left backs with 3.5 years and 4.5 years on their deals and neither one will be first choice come the start of next season. Might not even be first choice for the rest of this season. Brilliant squad building as always. 

You see , you and I look at this photo and see a left back and a centre half .

Pochettino sees a left winger and a left back , because he's a tactical genius. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Horrendous footballer.  Destroyed by a 20 year old and hooked at half-time. He got a lot of praise for cosplaying as a left winger against Championship fodder  but you won't hear a peep about this performance (which is more in line with his actual level). 

Chilwell is exactly the type of player you would think the 'data driven' approach would drive out of the club but Winstanley's computer malfunctioned so he was rewarded with a contract extension.

16 minutes ago, Bison said:

Horrendous footballer.  Destroyed by a 20 year old and hooked at half-time. He got a lot of praise for cosplaying as a left winger against Championship fodder  but you won't hear a peep about this performance (which is more in line with his actual level). 

Chilwell is exactly the type of player you would think the 'data driven' approach would drive out of the club but Winstanley's computer malfunctioned so he was rewarded with a contract extension.

I've agreed regarding Chilwell in the past , I've complained that he never looks where he's crossing the ball to and wasting attacking opportunities , but one thing I do know about him is that he isn't a winger.

Sadly Pochettino , being a tactical genius and uber coach disagrees with me. 

We won't start to improve as a side until we get someone with the first idea how to organise one so that we get the best out of our players and not the worst.

5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I've agreed regarding Chilwell in the past , I've complained that he never looks where he's crossing the ball to and wasting attacking opportunities , but one thing I do know about him is that he isn't a winger.

Sadly Pochettino , being a tactical genius and uber coach disagrees with me. 

We won't start to improve as a side until we get someone with the first idea how to organise one so that we get the best out of our players and not the worst.

To be fair to Pochettino, Chilwell played left back last night, supposedly his strongest position, and he was the worst player on the pitch. 

Just now, Bison said:

To be fair to Pochettino, Chilwell played left back last night, supposedly his strongest position, and he was the worst player on the pitch. 

I've just seen your video , he was appalling .

However , he's rarely as poor as that from memory , I have railed at his stupidity previously but I've never seen a performance like that before , bizarre.

• Agree 1

Just now, Mark Kelly said:

I've just seen your video , he was appalling .

However , he's rarely as poor as that from memory , I have railed at his stupidity previously but I've never seen a performance like that before , bizarre.

I'm not exaggerating but Chilwell is quite often that bad but it gets overlooked because we either didn't lose or whatever else. He is awful.

I don’t think Chilwell is ever as bad as last night. Honestly, last night was another level of bad and as said in the match topic, I hope for his sake he was unwell, as otherwise it’s a massive concern.

No Chelsea captain should ever be putting in that level of performance, especially against Liverpool.

Just now, My Blood Is Blue said:

I don’t think Chilwell is ever as bad as last night. Honestly, last night was another level of bad and as said in the match topic, I hope for his sake he was unwell, as otherwise it’s a massive concern.

No Chelsea captain should ever be putting in that level of performance, especially against Liverpool.

Performances like this are when it's very compelling to wonder what exactly is going wrong behind the scenes , is Pochettino really as awful a coach as I think or is it something hidden at the club that's sapping the life out of everyone ?

• Like 1

I am not a Pochettino fan but I'm not blaming Chilwell's lack of ability on him. It's not Poch's fault that Chilwell is rubbish with the ball at his feet, it was an issue long before he arrived. 

A manager sacked before he's able to upgrade on Chilwell. New man will come in and accept the status quo with Chilwell as vice captain...only to find out how bad he is too late into the new season. 😭

Edited by Bison

2 minutes ago, Bison said:

A manager sacked before he's able to upgrade on Chilwell. New man will come in and accept the status quo with Chilwell as vice captain...only to find out how bad he is too late into the new season. 😭

All this stinks of Pochettino, friend of the media , briefing them .

He can't coach the left back and striker he has , getting two new ones won't cure anything 

Just now, Mark Kelly said:

All this stinks of Pochettino, friend of the media , briefing them .

He can't coach the left back and striker he has , getting two new ones won't cure anything 

I'm no fan of Poch and think he should have been sacked in the tunnel on Sunday but I'm not blaming Chilwell on him. A player like that is a coach killer and we have a few of them.

1 minute ago, Bison said:

I'm no fan of Poch and think he should have been sacked in the tunnel on Sunday but I'm not blaming Chilwell on him. A player like that is a coach killer and we have a few of them.

Absolutely but a bit of instruction of what you want him to do and where he should be standing and where he should be looking to pass the ball wouldn't go amiss.

Every other side in the division can play the ball "blind" knowing that their teammate will be there or running hard to get there.

Not Chelsea under Fat Mo.

14 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

We had 3 capable LB's in the squad, and he still plays Colwill there

That's the byproduct of Thiago Silva still being in the side and his lack of speed, you can't have him defending wide areas so it's imperative the fullback on his side tucks in as a third CB for additional support. 

Once we play with two actual fullbacks that want to get forward, and as we saw vs Wolves, teams are just going to continuously target the left hand side. 

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Of all the problems we have had in the last two years, Chilwell is well down the list. 

The above makes little sense as Poch has barely been able to pick Chilwell, whether he has wanted to or not 

And this is the left back who was brilliant on the way to us winning the CL.... 

Chilwell has been an injury prone mess for two years so he is very much part of the problem and high up the list.

Kante was by far our best CL performer when we won it and I remember very well just how desperate some were to get rid of him due to his injuries.

We desperately need a new LB and to somehow move on one of Chilwell or Cucurella but I fear due to their contracts we're stuck with both of them for the foreseeable. 

Ben Jacobs (who regularly regurgitates talking points on behalf of the owners and sporting directors) is now reporting we're in the market for a left back this summer.

Here's hoping there's some truth to this. 🤞

32 minutes ago, Bison said:

Ben Jacobs (who regularly regurgitates talking points on behalf of the owners and sporting directors) is now reporting we're in the market for a left back this summer.

Here's hoping there's some truth to this. 🤞

Of course we are. Cucurella will be one of the first names out the door, if we can find a buyer.

Makes perfect sense to be looking for another left back, to back up Chilwell.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, martin1905 said:

Of course we are. Cucurella will be one of the first names out the door, if we can find a buyer.

Makes perfect sense to be looking for another left back, to back up Chilwell.

If RJ was available right now I'd be advocating for Gusto to play LB. Whoever we sign should be looking to make the position their own.