Ben Chilwell

JaneB

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Some good news by the looks of it with Chilwell seemingly set to extend his deal, which will tie him down until he's 30. 

I've been critical of him with his no look crossing but he is a great asset to the side so very happy with this one.

Now we only need to get Mason to stop treading water. 

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

I've been critical of him with his no look crossing but he is a great asset to the side so very happy with this one.

Now we only need to get Mason to stop treading water. 

Sadly, I think the ease with which players like Chilwell are agreeing deals makes me think even more strongly the only issue with Mason's is that he simply doesn't want to stay.

Chilwell's deal is very good news imo.

Just now, thevelourfog said:

Sadly, I think the ease with which players like Chilwell are agreeing deals makes me think even more strongly the only issue with Mason's is that he simply doesn't want to stay.

Yes , Sadly I think you're right . 

13 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Agree, and was going to bring this up actually but wanted to keep the focus on Chilwell. 

Hard to look at Mount's situation right now and think the hold up is anything but him.

And quite interestingly, this will bring down his annual book cost, because we get to amortise his remaining 2 years fee over the 4 years he is now contracted to us.

Chelsea Youth posted an example on Twitter where we could have given Chilwell a £20 per week pay rise,  and still be saving £4-5m a year on him.

If we decide not to sell Havertz this season, we could do the same with him and his annual costs reduce from £12m to £6m (potentially)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob B said:

And quite interestingly, this will bring down his annual book cost, because we get to amortise his remaining 2 years fee over the 4 years he is now contracted to us.

Chelsea Youth posted an example on Twitter where we could have given Chilwell a £20 per week pay rise,  and still be saving £4-5m a year on him.

If we decide not to sell Havertz this season, we could do the same with him and his annual costs reduce from £12m to £6m (potentially)

If true, this could be big when it comes to hanging onto players like Kova and Kante also I imagine. 

8 hours ago, xceleryx said:

If true, this could be big when it comes to hanging onto players like Kova and Kante also I imagine. 

Well, that is true in terms of accounting.........As Kante's contract is about to expire, his transfer fee would have been entirely accounted for by 30 June 2023, so his book cost next year will just be wages.

Kovacic signed permanently in 2019 on a 5 year deal for 40m. As at 30 June 2023 we would have accounted for 4/5 of the 40m fee, leaving 8m remaining. If he signs a 2 year extension, hypothetically, the next 3 years, the book cost per year will be 8/3 = 2.66m plus wages. Peanuts. 

Chilwell joined in 2020 on a 5 year deal, for 45m, so 9m a year.

At 30 June, we would have accounted 3 * 9 = 27, with 18m remaining. That 18m will now be split over the next 4 years, so his book value next year (and each year thereafter) has dropped from 9 to 4.5m

14 minutes ago, Bison said:

What if the next manager arrives this summer and says he doesn't fancy Chilwell?

Given the depth we have at LB any new manager is going to have to accept that this isn't a priority place to invest. We've spent heavily on the rebuild and the focus areas will surely be goalkeeper, DM and a centre forward.  

This season has also reiterated just how good Chilwell is, and that Cucurella really isn't in the same league. We will need to shed 5-10 players this summer and Chilwell would be one of the last players I would consider letting go. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Bison said:

What if the next manager arrives this summer and says he doesn't fancy Chilwell?

Then his transfer value is protected. 

Not that I can think it's an issue. How many better LBs are there?

What about Silva and Kante? 

Players tend to out live coaches, so these conversations are almost entirely separate anyway 

Edited by paulw66

5 hours ago, Bison said:

The next manager will be being picked precisely on the basis they "fancy" the players already here or lined up, tbf.

Edited by thevelourfog

21 hours ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

Given the depth we have at LB any new manager is going to have to accept that this isn't a priority place to invest. We've spent heavily on the rebuild and the focus areas will surely be goalkeeper, DM and a centre forward.  

This season has also reiterated just how good Chilwell is, and that Cucurella really isn't in the same league. We will need to shed 5-10 players this summer and Chilwell would be one of the last players I would consider letting go. 

Also if we're looking for another LB option we have Maatsen doing very well with Burnley. I don't know if we'd be willing to get rid of Cucurella so quickly as we'd take a massive loss on him, but Maatsen would definitely be a more attacking back-up to Chilwell.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Then his transfer value is protected. 

Not that I can think it's an issue. How many better LBs are there?

What about Silva and Kante? 

Players tend to out live coaches, so these conversations are almost entirely separate anyway 

I can name quite a few actually.

Chilwell is terrible in building up play from the back and is perhaps the biggest pressing trigger for the opposition in our team.

17 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

The next manager will be being picked precisely on the basis they "fancy" the players already here or lined up, tbf.

There are plenty of yes men managers out there who will say they love the squad as it is. I hope we stay clear of them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Do we have any indication on when he’s likely to be back on the pitch? I’m sure I’ve seen him in photos during training recently.

Im worried when he does get back, Poch is going to stick him back on LW again!

26 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Do we have any indication on when he’s likely to be back on the pitch? I’m sure I’ve seen him in photos during training recently.

Im worried when he does get back, Poch is going to stick him back on LW again!

Only seen the headlines, but apparently Matt Law has said on a podcast that it’s imminent and might even see him in the squad as early as this weekend apparently 

• Thanks 1