N'Golo Kante

JaneB

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Presuming Kante returns this season I am a little surprised that we're not maybe waiting for him to play a few game first before signing off on any new deal. Surely the logical course of action is to see what a soon to be 32 year old Kante looks like after a long injury layoff. For a player that's already shown visible stages of decline in the last 12-18 months, if we commit to a new deal on the basis of reputation only for him to either break down again or look completely off the pace, then we're committing to a player that may not be as usual as originally envisioned. 

I'd also imagine it'll be a heavily reduced base salary with a lot of earnings tied to playing time bonuses. 

Edited by xceleryx

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

Presuming Kante returns this season I am a little surprised that we're not maybe waiting for him to play a few game first before signing off on any new deal. Surely the logical course of action is to see what a soon to be 32 year old Kante looks like after a long injury layoff. For a player that's already shown visible stages of decline in the last 12-18 months, if we commit to a new deal on the basis of reputation only for him to either break down again or look completely off the pace, then we're committing to a player that may not be as usual as originally envisioned. 

I'd also imagine it'll be a heavily reduced base salary with a lot of earnings tied to playing time bonuses. 

The sports doctors should be guiding the club. He did have a definitive surgical procedure performed. With proper usage, he should be ok IMO. I think its cheaper to re-sign him and get 2 more years rather than go out and buy someone to partner Enzo (rice at 140m or Caicedo for 100m). Also, if we get him to fit a wage structure, I see it as a positive.

I would say I was very pleased to see this report today. I'd like to think that Kante can still give a club 2 more years at a high level.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trini_Blue said:

The sports doctors should be guiding the club. He did have a definitive surgical procedure performed. With proper usage, he should be ok IMO. I think its cheaper to re-sign him and get 2 more years rather than go out and buy someone to partner Enzo (rice at 140m or Caicedo for 100m). Also, if we get him to fit a wage structure, I see it as a positive.

I would say I was very pleased to see this report today. I'd like to think that Kante can still give a club 2 more years at a high level.

Even if you put aside the medical aspects for a moment and look at the situation that remains there still remains plenty of question marks. 

He's still going to be 32 next month with a playing style that hinges heavily on his energy and athleticism, that's a concern in itself when you consider he's already been showing signs of decline in his ability to cover the ground necessary to play at both ends of of the pitch. 

Then you look at the footballing side of things, where does a present day version of Kante fit in the current side and system? If we're looking to maximise Enzo, which we should be doing, then that means he'll need the freedoms to push forward closer to goal. To do that in a midfield two it's imperative that his midfielder partner is positionally disciplined enough to sit deep and anchor the midfield., something Kante is not. We already saw the stark difference between Loftus-Cheek and Kovavic in this area, with Kante geared more towards the latter style of play we'll continue to look unbalanced because of it. So you'd have to imagine we'll sign a more traditional holding type of player in the summer - most likely a starter. 

So then you have to consider if we move to a midfield three and play 433? Well, if we do that then it virtually kills the position Joao Felix is currently occupying. That's a problem if we opt towards trying to extend his stay, but even if he goes we've got Nkunku coming in the summer who virtually plays that similar type of role. We could of course play Nkunku as a striker or out on the wing to accomodate a third midfielder but that's not maximising him either. This problem expands if we actually do keep Joao Felix somehow and have both himself and Nkunku, as there's no way you can keep either player on the bench.

That then raises the question of whether Kante would be satisfied playing a lesser role as a rotational piece? For him to start however it means Enzo taking a back seat by playing more of a Drinkwater at Leicester role or what Matic held here in a midfield two - which subsequently would mean dropping the holding player we're likely to sign. This then creates aforementioned problem of a Kante - Enzo pairing of before. In a midfield three a starting spot for Kante would be the easiest to make work, as it would allow Enzo and a holding mid to both play, giving both Enzo and Kante their freedoms with protection in behind. But again, it creates the issues higher up the pitch with Joao Felix/Nkunku. 

I appreciate what Kante has done, he's been a fantastic player for us, but he's also a bigger problem then I think some are willing to admit because of his reputation in the game. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Even if you put aside the medical aspects for a moment and look at the situation that remains there still remains plenty of question marks. 

He's still going to be 32 next month with a playing style that hinges heavily on his energy and athleticism, that's a concern in itself when you consider he's already been showing signs of decline in his ability to cover the ground necessary to play at both ends of of the pitch. 

Then you look at the footballing side of things, where does a present day version of Kante fit in the current side and system? If we're looking to maximise Enzo, which we should be doing, then that means he'll need the freedoms to push forward closer to goal. To do that in a midfield two it's imperative that his midfielder partner is positionally disciplined enough to sit deep and anchor the midfield., something Kante is not. We already saw the stark difference between Loftus-Cheek and Kovavic in this area, with Kante geared more towards the latter style of play we'll continue to look unbalanced because of it. So you'd have to imagine we'll sign a more traditional holding type of player in the summer - most likely a starter. 

So then you have to consider if we move to a midfield three and play 433? Well, if we do that then it virtually kills the position Joao Felix is currently occupying. That's a problem if we opt towards trying to extend his stay, but even if he goes we've got Nkunku coming in the summer who virtually plays that similar type of role. We could of course play Nkunku as a striker or out on the wing to accomodate a third midfielder but that's not maximising him either. This problem expands if we actually do keep Joao Felix somehow and have both himself and Nkunku, as there's no way you can keep either player on the bench.

That then raises the question of whether Kante would be satisfied playing a lesser role as a rotational piece? For him to start however it means Enzo taking a back seat by playing more of a Drinkwater at Leicester role or what Matic held here in a midfield two - which subsequently would mean dropping the holding player we're likely to sign. This then creates aforementioned problem of a Kante - Enzo pairing of before. In a midfield three a starting spot for Kante would be the easiest to make work, as it would allow Enzo and a holding mid to both play, giving both Enzo and Kante their freedoms with protection in behind. But again, it creates the issues higher up the pitch with Joao Felix/Nkunku. 

I appreciate what Kante has done, he's been a fantastic player for us, but he's also a bigger problem then I think some are willing to admit because of his reputation in the game. 

Don't get me wrong, I've suggested that Kante be moved on before but that was before there was a possibility we could have his injury sorted out more definitively. I still think he's a quality midfielder to keep around - and at a cheaper overall cost too imo. 

I agree with what you're saying regarding the balance in a 2 however. Can't argue with that. At the end of the day, I think Zakaria is going to signed permanently and he would most likely be the sitting player IMO. 

Having both Kante and Enzo could be a really good "problem" to have. Especially if he agrees to a wage structure and it wouldn't cost us any fees.

Edited by Trini_Blue

1 hour ago, Trini_Blue said:

Don't get me wrong, I've suggested that Kante be moved on before but that was before there was a possibility we could have his injury sorted out more definitively. I still think he's a quality midfielder to keep around - and at a cheaper overall cost too imo. 

I agree with what you're saying regarding the balance in a 2 however. Can't argue with that. At the end of the day, I think Zakaria is going to signed permanently and he would most likely be the sitting player IMO. 

Having both Kante and Enzo could be a really good "problem" to have. Especially if he agrees to a wage structure and it wouldn't cost us any fees.

Is there any reports that suggest his injury issues are going to be more definitively resolved? I feel this is just pure speculation based notion he's had an operation on his hamstring, none of us really know at this point just how impactful that's going to be or if it'll even hold up at this stage of his career. This is why I originally said it made sense to wait and see how he comes back before securing him down. The last thing we need is to be tied down to a multi-year deal for a player that's possibly ill-fitting and no longer able to play at the level required. We also don't know the cost involved in keeping him around either. If he was to halve his current base salary and have playing time incentive as bonuses, then I can maybe justify it from a financial standpoint more, but if it's virtually a slight reduction and we're paying him now then that's not particularly cheap. 

Not sure we'll sign Zakaria personally. I've said my bit on him as someone that also follow Juventus, and for the sort of money attached to the reported clause it's not good business from our end. Perpetually injured and a considerably limited player in his own right. He's a bit part player at most, and not a good fitting one either. 

We obviously disagree on it being a good "problem" or not, just from a footballing perspective he's simply not the profile of player we're missing, in need of, or helps maximise what we've got. We need to get back to having our best players play their best positions and their more appropriate roles, shoehorning them into the side helps no one at the end of the day.

I suppose we'll see happens though in due course. 

Edited by xceleryx

2 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Sounding like a contract extension through to 2026 has been agreed.

3 years! Crikey! I'd have thought 1 year rolling deals a la Thiago Silva would have been closer to the mark at this time.  

I hope he can stay fit as he comes back, we urgently need a player of his energy and ability at the moment.

On 28/02/2023 at 11:43, martin1905 said:

Absolutely brilliant news.

He has had several month off now to get his body right. Hopefully that should do the trick and allow him to go again for the final stretch of his career.

It looks like we'll be playing one game a week next season with no European football so he should have a monstrous season.

Just now, Bison said:

He has had several month off now to get his body right. Hopefully that should do the trick and allow him to go again for the final stretch of his career.

It looks like we'll be playing one game a week next season with no European football so he should have a monstrous season.

We can but hope.

I'm sure he'll be too good for the Championship anyway.

Huge gamble but maybe I'm just conditioned not to expect a 30+ year old getting more than a year to year contract. If his injuries are finally behind him it could be good business, but it's a big IF. We could just be left with a highly paid hospital patient.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

I'm sure most are well aware of my thoughts on needing to move on from him at the end of the season, and that I feel he's become a more awkward fit tactically with Enzo being the main midfield piece to build around and our need for a genuine holding player for next season, but I'm curious to gauge the thoughts on what people think of Kante so far since his return? 

One big take away so far, albeit he's on played a few times since returning from injury, is that he's visibly lost that edge in energy and tenacity that's stood out during much of his career. He's not been able to get back goal side as well as he once did when caught higher up the pitch.

If he is to remain here next season he really shouldn't be anything more than a squad/rotational player.