Conor Gallagher

JaneB

More than happy to keep Gallagher around. He has his limitations technically, but he's got the ability to impact games through his injection of energy and enthusiasm. If he can fine tune a few things, grab a few more goals, he'll be a really good piece to have in the squad.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
57 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

He's a diamond, proving all the naysayers wrong. 

If Boehly sells him to finance the purchase of Brazilian teenagers he'll be lynched. 

Absolutely. From day one I knew Conor would step up and he has. Having him and Cole - two young, talented English players - in the heart of the side is imo is vital. Conor is way, way more than “proper Chels”; he’s won his place on merit. I hope he gets a massive new contract soon. He deserves it imo. 

• Like 3

I admit that I had some doubts about Conor....never dismissed him or his contribution but I felt he didn't have too high a ceiling and would only improve to a steady squad position rather than a lynchpin plus it appeared at one time  a tendancy to dive in..... so much for the insight of an OG!

He has stepped up and is playing at a far higher level consistently than I anticipated a year ago... I hang my head😉... we all love a fighter and he is that in the best sense,,be interesting to see how the side looks in May!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, flllerywhereru2 said:

I have to say i doubted whether Gallagher was a Chelsea level player but he has really won me over in the last few games. His decision making has massively improved as has his use of the ball. He is forming a more than impressive unit with calceido and Enzo

His first touch is absolutely incredible recently as well. 

• Like 1

Definitely a favourite player, and I have always known he'd have a great PL career (somewhere).
I think some of his technical clumsiness is more about ambition than technique.  He tries to do things very very rapidly and that sometimes fails.
In this he is a bit like Drogba who created a set of moves designed for a big high momentum player to beat opponents.  Sometimes this meant kicking the ball into the ground and watch it spin away in a direction only Drogba could predict.  Sometimes it was a comic disaster.

I don't see an improvement in him, just the way he is used.  Far better in a CM role or a 10 role where he can chase in the press AND drop into CM.  Much weaker in a 7 role where the game passes him by.  Mount was the same, and it is greatly to Gallagher's advantage that he no longer plays in the same team as Mount.

Of course when we play more negative teams with a deep defence then the strikers stop making the runs, the midfielders find it harder to see them, and a vicious circle of low expectations happens - and may well happen again.  All the players looked far more intelligent in the last 2 games.
Lets face it, it was not top coaching that taught us how to beat the off-side trap, it was Spurs having 9 exhausted players who stopped chasing back.

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Gallagher is well on track to get our player of the season this season, he is a fantastic player. Technically he isn't our best, but for pure work rate, passion and a willingness to work harder than any other player on the pitch every minute he is on there, he deserves all the credit.

All that said, to claim it is all just work rate would be unfair, I actually think he's improved a lot already under Poch in terms of his understanding of the game and his ability on the ball.

He's my favourite player in this squad and just seems like a decent guy as well. Massive fan of the guy.

Should his performances go south, it will be interesting to see who in the CG sledging department raises their head first. 

Edited by ROTG
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Dwmh said:

All the players looked far more intelligent in the last 2 games.
Lets face it, it was not top coaching that taught us how to beat the off-side trap, it was Spurs having 9 exhausted players who stopped chasing back.

And a coach who seemed to take inspiration from the great military minds..Custer, Cardigan  and the likes of the Captain of the Titanic!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ROTG said:

Should his performances go south, it will be interesting to see who in the CG sledging department raises their head first. 

There is a rumour drifting about, that you once wrote a post about Chelsea. That had a touch of positivity and lightness. 

I got your back here ROTG. I don’t believe it for one second!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Gallagher is well on track to get our player of the season this season, he is a fantastic player. Technically he isn't our best, but for pure work rate, passion and a willingness to work harder than any other player on the pitch every minute he is on there, he deserves all the credit.

All that said, to claim it is all just work rate would be unfair, I actually think he's improved a lot already under Poch in terms of his understanding of the game and his ability on the ball.

He's my favourite player in this squad and just seems like a decent guy as well. Massive fan of the guy.

One other thing he’s done this season is that he’s got his body stripped back of body fat.

He’s absolutely ripped and his legs are in a different state than last season. That’s showing in terms of his energy throughout the entire match. Replicate his attitude in the first team squad and you increase the chances of success.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Wonder if there’s any truth to the rumours that the owners are stalling over a new contract, ridiculous if true. 

£100+m on Fernandez for 7 or 8 years or so, £100m+ and 7 years or so on Caicedo.  A fortune on Lavia, Santos big Les, the guy at Reading whose name is too similar to other players to remember and so on.
And now they call up the investors and say £200k a week for 7 years for the guy that just broke into the England team with holes in his socks.

Sign him up - no brainer.  Explain it to the Americans ...   tricky

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

Wonder if there’s any truth to the rumours that the owners are stalling over a new contract, ridiculous if true. 

If they mess up these negotiations and we end up losing him, that will not go down well with the fans at all. This kids is everything we thought Mount was and more, he is truly proper Chels and is fast becoming one of most important players. I can’t see him not getting locked down to a new contract, Poch will probably be demanding it happen.

I remember mentioning on here when the new owners started to splash the cash, whether this would be Mount’s ‘Lampard moment’ and he’d dig in, kick on and prove to be better than all the shiny, new expensive signings… it wasn’t, but it looks like it may be Gallaghers.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 18/11/2023 at 08:36, My Blood Is Blue said:

If they mess up these negotiations and we end up losing him, that will not go down well with the fans at all. This kids is everything we thought Mount was and more, he is truly proper Chels and is fast becoming one of most important players. I can’t see him not getting locked down to a new contract, Poch will probably be demanding it happen.

Gallacher is currently on £50k/week while Reece James was able to negotiate £250k/week over 6 years (up from £58k/week). I know who deserves the money more at the moment.

All that said the moneyball approach reduces players down to a line on an Excel spreadsheet.and Gallacher's sell on value will look very attractive when we're scratching around trying to fund a new striker without blowing FFP. Hmm...£40m pure profit or a cost of £13m in wages??

• Sad 2

On 03/01/2024 at 16:26, Holymoly said:

Gallacher is currently on £50k/week while Reece James was able to negotiate £250k/week over 6 years (up from £58k/week). I know who deserves the money more at the moment.

All that said the moneyball approach reduces players down to a line on an Excel spreadsheet.and Gallacher's sell on value will look very attractive when we're scratching around trying to fund a new striker without blowing FFP. Hmm...£40m pure profit or a cost of £13m in wages??

Please stop with this. No one (least of all us) knows what players actually earn.  It's mildly informed speculation at best in the vast majority of cases and numbers completely made up by the media at worst.  

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Bert19 said:

Please stop with this. No one (least of all us) knows what players actually earn.  It's mildly informed speculation at best in the vast majority of cases and numbers completely made up by the media at worst.  

Even if you disbelieve the figures it is irrelevant. The point is that he is product currently in negotiation to significantly increase his weekly cost. Business nous says that it makes more financial sense to sell while he is at the top of his form rather than pay more for a wasting asset. To Chelsea FC he is not Conor Gallacher he is a line on a spreadsheet. I don't like it any more than you but this is where the current owners see the club. They don't care about the heritage of our club they just want to make a return on investment.