Following Chelsea's loans

My Blood Is Blue

On 22/01/2023 at 03:43, My Blood Is Blue said:

How's Lukaku getting on?

Horribly. 

Been injured for much of the season mind you so only managed 7 league appearance for under 400 minutes total. 

I'd be shocked if Inter Milan look at retaining him in any capacity at this rate. 

58 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Which then leaves us with a rather expensive problem in the summer.

That it does, as was always likely to be the case anyway. Inter were never going to be capable of affording Lukaku, even if had returned to the form he showcased under Conte prior. 

We're pretty much locked into either trying to loan him out again and get as much cost covered as possible, or to simply take an offer well under market value purely to cut our losses for good. 

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

That it does, as was always likely to be the case anyway. Inter were never going to be capable of affording Lukaku, even if had returned to the form he showcased under Conte prior. 

We're pretty much locked into either trying to loan him out again and get as much cost covered as possible, or to simply take an offer well under market value purely to cut our losses for good. 

With the attacking options we are forming at present, it wouldn't be the worst idea to bring him back.

1 hour ago, Ham said:

With the attacking options we are forming at present, it wouldn't be the worst idea to bring him back.

I did mention this being a possibility on the old forum. 

I wonder if he'd be welcomed back though given Lukaku's instance on leaving and Boehly helping to actively get the loan deal done. 

Just now, xceleryx said:

I wonder if he'd be welcomed back though given Lukaku's instance on leaving and Boehly helping to actively get the loan deal done. 

I struggle to see a way back for him. I know his issues may have been with people no longer at the club, but he didn't exactly do a lot to get the fans on his side and I don't think many will forget quickly, especially if he doesn't hit the ground running. Don't get me wrong, if he starts banging the goals in for us, then all will be forgiven, but I think his days as a top class striker may already be behind him.

We definitely need a new striker next season, but I do not think it's him.

Maybe newcastle will sign him.

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Just now, xceleryx said:

I look forward to Mudryk beating three players , jumping tackles and then Lukaku on three times Mudryk's weekly wage not moving to receive the ball as it is out of the one inch square target area he deems acceptable for a player of his calibre.

If he wants to come back I'm sure they can use him at the burger van if they padlock the cupboards.

Just now, My Blood Is Blue said:

I struggle to see a way back for him. I know his issues may have been with people no longer at the club, but he didn't exactly do a lot to get the fans on his side and I don't think many will forget quickly, especially if he doesn't hit the ground running. Don't get me wrong, if he starts banging the goals in for us, then all will be forgiven, but I think his days as a top class striker may already be behind him.

Yeah, that's arguably the biggest hurdle he'd have to overcome upon any potential return. There'd be absolutely no leeway given by the fans I'd imagine, so it would be imperative he hits the ground running with plenty of goals to repair any fan relations. It's pretty unlikely though. Plus with his injury struggles this season he may already be on that downward slope.

Hard to really see who would want him at this stage, much less could even afford him. 

On 25/01/2023 at 10:08, xceleryx said:

On 25/01/2023 at 10:11, My Blood Is Blue said:

Bearing in mind the wages, we may well be stuck with him.

In which case, we may as well try and get something out of him. 

10 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Bearing in mind the wages, we may well be stuck with him.

In which case, we may as well try and get something out of him. 

I wonder if we've investigated his value for scrap , rendered down he could power the floodlights for a season if we can convert them to burn lard.

On 25/01/2023 at 10:16, xceleryx said:

Yeah, that's arguably the biggest hurdle he'd have to overcome upon any potential return. There'd be absolutely no leeway given by the fans I'd imagine, so it would be imperative he hits the ground running with plenty of goals to repair any fan relations.

I don't remember a lot of, indeed any, real hostility towards him at Stamford Bridge. Not from a vocal or significant number of people, anywhere. Almost no online criticism manifests at games, people in the moment just tend to get behind players. You'll chat to people near you and they'll tell all about who they don't like or rate, but there isn't going to be booing or jeering in anything but the most extreme circumstances. Quite rightly, too.

Think Lukaku would come back to quiet indifference more than anything else.

8 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I don't remember a lot of, indeed any, real hostility towards him at Stamford Bridge. Not from a vocal or significant number of people, anywhere. Almost no online criticism manifests at games, people in the moment just tend to get behind players. You'll chat to people near you and they'll tell all about who they don't like or rate, but there isn't going to be booing or jeering in anything but the most extreme circumstances. Quite rightly, too.

Think Lukaku would come back to quiet indifference more than anything else.

It did always feel like most of the hostility brewed online, it can be a pretty toxic environment at times. I think you're right though in that if he was to return it would be more a feeling of indifference than anything else amongst the match goers. If he does poorly, then I could see that turning. However, if he was to find a bit of form in front of goal then I'm sure a lot of it would be water under the bridge eventually. 

34 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Have I missed something? 

If one saw this sort of line up....

Kepa

James            Silva                 Badiashile           Chilwell

Fernandez                  Ampadu

Sterling                     Felix                         Mudryck

Havertz

I suspect most people would be wondering "I suppose xxxxxxxxx and xxxxxxxxxx are out injured"

Nothing against the lad, but he's not even first back-up quality

1 minute ago, Bob Singleton said:

I haven't seen him play at all in Italy, which is part of the problem for any of us fans to make a call.

I was just thinking with Kante and Jorginho possibly going, and talk of Gallagher being sold to help balance the books, he might be considered a squad option. 

22 years old, and played 40 times for Wales. Quite remarkable. 

For the record, I am not saying he IS good enough, but he's another one out there that Potter may took a look at. When Chalobah was playing on loan in France, I am fairly certain the response / impression would have been the same. 

29 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

If one saw this sort of line up....

Kepa

James            Silva                 Badiashile           Chilwell

Fernandez                  Ampadu

Sterling                     Felix                         Mudryck

Havertz

I suspect most people would be wondering "I suppose xxxxxxxxx and xxxxxxxxxx are out injured"

The only way to see that line up is for the club to spend another £200 to £250 million on two midfield players

Edited by ROTG

@paulw66 I'm sure Potter will have a look at all the loanees (or at least, having said he'd have a look at Hudson-Odoi in the summer, that he'd treat them all equally).

While I've not seen him play for Spezia (I don't recall BT Sport covering one of their games... if they did I must have missed it) I have seen him play for Wales. He's OK (consistently better than Gilmour, anyway, who many used to get carried away by) but I think his real value to us is not as a squad filler, but as a saleable item. As you say, 40 caps and only 22... gotta be a few quid there?

• Like 1