Official: Chelsea sign Andrey Santos

Bob Singleton

Five goals in five games now for our 18 year old central midfielder captaining Brazil at the South American U20 Championships.
Hopefully he gets his work permit soon (only just missed out and the club are using his current performances to make another attempt using the "exceptional talent" clause)
Around £12m + add-ons from Vasco de Gama

3 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Five goals in five games now for our 18 year old central midfielder captaining Brazil at the South American U20 Championships.
Hopefully he gets his work permit soon (only just missed out and the club are using his current performances to make another attempt using the "exceptional talent" clause)

He looks a unit too.  

2 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Only seen clips of him on YouTube. He did give me Michael Ballack vibes though. 

I saw one article describing him as a Sergio Busquets type player so wondered if he might be a good foil for Enzo if we could get the Work Permit. Reading more it seems he is more if a box to box type that is good either side of the ball. I haven't watched any of him myself, but everything I've heard of him is impressive including these recent performances.

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

There's murmurs that Andrey Santos may need to head out on loan after still not receiving a work permit. Apparently Vasco have priority if this is to be the case. 

Benfica would be the ideal loan club

• JaneB changed the title to Official: Chelsea sign Andrey Santos
  • 2 weeks later...

Second attempt to get a work permit denied (again missed out by 1 point).

Suggestions are that he will head out to Brazil and possibly go on loan with one of the bigger clubs playing in the Copa Libertadores which would get him the extra points he needs come the summer. It also didn't help that we are now so well stocked in midfield (Kante, Kovacic, Chukuemeka, Enzo, RLC, Gallagher, Zakaria... have I missed anyone out?)

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

Suggestions are that he will head out to Brazil and possibly go on loan with one of the bigger clubs playing in the Copa Libertadores which would get him the extra points he needs come the summer. It also didn't help that we are now so well stocked in midfield (Kante, Kovacic, Chukuemeka, Enzo, RLC, Gallagher, Zakaria... have I missed anyone out?)

Hands up who's surprised? 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Should send him to Benfica his value will increase by €100 within half a season 😀

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Depending on which source you choose to believe, CFC didn't attempt to get a work permit knowing he wouldn't get it, or CFC did try to get a work permit for him but failed by 1 point.

The club then wanted to loan him to Palmeiras, one of the big clubs involved in the Copa Libertadores (South American equivalent to ECL), but reported sticking points included Chelsea wanting Santos to be available for all international fixtures (full and junior levels). With another U20 or something tournament coming up later, it would mean Santos missing several weeks of the Brazilian domestic season, which Palmeiras weren't happy about (after all, why bring in a player knowing he won't be available for half a dozen fixtures?). Also Chelsea wanted the loan to only be for the first half of the Brazilian season so that he could permanently join CFC in the summer ahead of the 20223/24 PL season.

With his previous club Vasco da Gama now in the top league (he helped them get promoted last season), playing for them would give him the extra points needed to get a UK work permit for next season. It seems VdaG are OK with him potentially missing games to represent his country at junior level, and to only have him for part of the season. I suspect they're getting the loan "on the cheap" given how much this helps CFC out but how little it helps VdaG

Palmeiras would have been better because he'd get even more points for playing in the Copa Libertadores, but that's not to be.

Hope that helps clear up any questions regarding the whys and wherefores of this convoluted purchase and loan back.

• Thanks 2

Called up to the full Brazil squad, not sure if that would have made him eligible to play for us this season if he could get a work permit. Not sure if he was registered in our squad, or able to be, it's all quite convoluted and I don't have the time to read the rules in depth.

2 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Called up to the full Brazil squad, not sure if that would have made him eligible to play for us this season if he could get a work permit. Not sure if he was registered in our squad, or able to be, it's all quite convoluted and I don't have the time to read the rules in depth.

Even if it did, I think the loan move is good for him. Coming into this packed squad in the mess that we’re in wouldn’t be a great place to be at the moment.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Not surprising. The interim Brazil coach is Ramon Menezes who coached the U20's that Santos - at the age of 18 - successfully captained to victory in the recent South American championships.

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Made his debut for the full Brazil side last night. Played 65 mins alongside Casemiro in a shock 2-1 loss to Morocco, but by all accounts, nevertheless distinguished himself by winning more ground duals and more tackles than his senior partner.

He wasn't great though despite this, before some see it and get carried away.

Completed less than 70% of his passes for example, which is horrific for a midfielder at any level. 

Big step up for him and a good one to get under the belt early, but still has plenty of work to do at a more senior level. 

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Reports that he’s got his work permit sorted. Great news if that’s the case.

I would have been surprised if he hadn't. He was only a point or two away from getting one when we signed him. He's since played in the top tier of Brazilian football (which scores him a couple of points) and for the national team (a point or two added for that, too)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...