Chelsea 0 Southampton 1

JaneB

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Premier League match against Southampton at Stamford Bridge before, during and after the game.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 15:00 hours on Saturday, 18th February 2023 (Local UK time/date)

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Where Potter saves Jones 

We are the ideal opponents for them if he survives. They have already spanked us once this season and I see no reason why they would not do so again. I have never seen us being so much less the sum of our parts in 51 years of supporting Chelsea.

8 minutes ago, RDCW said:

We are the ideal opponents for them if he survives. They have already spanked us once this season and I see no reason why they would not do so again. I have never seen us being so much less the sum of our parts in 51 years of supporting Chelsea.

Ain't THAT the truth....

3 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I said it in the West Ham thread, but now Southampton really are dreadful. Any top half team would be expecting to beat them by a good 2 or 3 goals.

We have got to the stage when even going up against the BOTTOM side in the EPL and at SB ! there is a great deal of trepidation expressed on here..and elsewhere I expect...

What does that tell us?..Fulham...above us?...worries before both those games?

Forget the real crunch games..Citeh etc but the rest of the EPL should be cannon fodder or games with a win expectation.

Not so now...and not the ramblings of an OG...the list of defeats is appalling and no real domestic triumphs t his season.

Injuries,rebuild and adjusting to the HMG attack and aftermath only goes so far.

Whilst not acceptable less than satisfactory results can be almost lived with if we were watching a real slow but SURE improvement.

As someone said..."Don't p*** down my back and tell me it's raining."

15 minutes ago, kev61 said:

I think we will see a revival in the coming weeks.I think we have bought some excellent players and we have quality players coming back from injury.

If not,no matter what Boehly and co say Potter will be gone this season

A revival is not enough given the new players and injured return...real progress all round not comfortable mid  table coaching is what we should demand.

A lot of back room "expertise" drafted into SB so the path is clear for a coach to COACH without having to drag himself into wheeling and dealing...wait..something rings a bell here...will come to me eventually.😖

Edited by chara

19 minutes ago, chara said:

A revival is not enough given the new players and injured return...real progress all round not comfortable mid  table coaching is what we should demand.

A lot of back room "expertise" drafted into SB so the path is clear for a coach to COACH without having to drag himself into wheeling and dealing...wait..something rings a bell here...will come to me eventually.😖

I said a long time ago(sorry if that sounds a tad patronising) the days of a Wenger or a Ferguson being in total charge is gone forever.

Potter as everyone can see by now is not a manager.He might be a super coach but a manager is a leader of men.

Potter is like a primary school teacher that can get the best out of kids.

We need someone with balls to manage a multi- million array.

1 minute ago, kev61 said:

I said a long time ago(sorry if that sounds a tad patronising) the days of a Wenger or a Ferguson being in total charge is gone forever.

Potter as everyone can see by now is not a manager.He might be a super coach but a manager is a leader of men.

Potter is like a primary school teacher that can get the best out of kids.

We need someone with balls to manage a multi- million array.

I tend to see GP as the teacher who wanted to be everyone's "friend" and favourite....what is needed is the "hard nut" who frightened the s*** out of us and actually taught us things of value.

18 minutes ago, chara said:

what is needed is the "hard nut" who frightened the s*** out of us and actually taught us things of value.

What you say will never happen.Every player that plays in the premiership are millionaires.

Most players are only interested in how much money they can earn in the shortest period of time.

You have to wonder if a player can't get excited about playing in front 40,000 people, is football worth watching.

5 minutes ago, kev61 said:

What you say will never happen.Every player that plays in the premiership are millionaires.

Most players are only interested in how much money they can earn in the shortest period of time.

You have to wonder if a player can't get excited about playing in front 40,000 people, is football worth watching.

OG time...not sure which game at Wembley..crunch match Euro or WC can't remember..long time ago..maybe Poland...anyway what I do remember is the excitement and anticipation leading up to KO and thinking along the lines of "If you can't play for your country and be lifted by this atmosphere......".

Now?

3 minutes ago, kev61 said:

He might be the best coach "you've" ever seen but he is a "serial failure" since we booted him out.

Di∂ that make 'you' feel better, Kev? Thought so.

Tell you what - if you think that we've had a better coach at SB, then good luck to you - we'll have to agree to disagree.

Appreciate this is the "Night Owl" time and all the more enjoyable for that...but I just get a sneaky feeling that if Jose came back for a third coming for two seasons it would be terrific... fun and fearsome!

Hate to leave now but time to walk dogs and close down for the night...my senior dog was barking at something just now..and she isn't one to waste energy on wind rustling,,gotta go...good to exchange with you both as ever!

Edited by chara

4 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Di∂ that make 'you' feel better, Kev? Thought so.

Why would that make me feel better michael?.I was glad to see the back of Mourinho in his first incarnation with us.

All things considered...why not give him another shot.A 10 million  one year contract if he gets us into a top four position.