Chelsea 0 Southampton 1

JaneB

53 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Referee: David Coote

VAR: Robert Jones

Excellent the PGMOL Ref bot who sent off Felix , obviously hoping for another result for the underdogs , hand picked to break our rhythm and allow them to kick us as they scrap for their lives , books three players per game on average and I expect this time they'll all be ours. 

• Angry 2

On 14/02/2023 at 01:34, kev61 said:

Why would that make me feel better michael?.I was glad to see the back of Mourinho in his first incarnation with us.

All things considered...why not give him another shot.A 10 million  one year contract if he gets us into a top four position.

I love Jose to bits and I watch Roma sometimes only because he's the coach but, have to say, that would be a weird move to bring him back here. 

I can't see him doing well with a bunch of 23 year olds. He's still pretty old school harsh on players. You can't give slightly fragile players like Felix to Mourinho IMO.

He's still a magnetic personality but noone knows for sure what happened in that third year of his second stint with us. I remember in his first year when he tore apart Matic and Salah and Matic seemed like a tough personality and dealt with it very well the second year but you can never tell when one of the players aren't going to handle that criticism well as he would like.

This group needs a softer personality coach to help them along and Potter's that guy IMO. The results have been awful but the team looks like it can easily turn a corner and go on a run. 

• Like 1

Obviously a win for us. Anything else would be unthinkable moving forward. We need to score enough so that bad luck or unfortunate circumstances regarding VAR don't influence the outcome. Personally I'd go back to a back three to allow the fullbacks to go forward more. I'd also like to see Kovacic in midfield with Enzo. Drop Havertz and have a front three of Felix, Madueke or Fofana with Mount slightly behind. The back four is blunting our attack.

1 hour ago, asvaberg said:

Please, please win this - a family member of mine is Saints fan and he hates Chelsea for some reason.

I simply can't handle him teasing me if we lose again............. 

Mount will be up for this one if selected. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ROTG said:

It’s taken 5 seasons to get rid of the Conte legacy. Now is not the time to take a backward step. We can leave the to Conte at the spuds. 

The trouble is the only effective attack option we have are Chilwell and James bombing forward and, for whatever reason, with a back four they're not doing it so much. Until we have a striker capable of making use of the likes of Felix we need to revert to our old options of getting the ball into the box. If we can stretch the defense it will give more room to those in the centre.

Have to win, no excuses not to win. We need someone to start finding the net and I don't really care who it is. Personally, I'd give Mudryk a break, bring him on and a tiring defence as I think he'll have more joy and may give him a bit of a boost in confidence, so I would put Mount back in... he loves playing against this lot, given where he grew up. I really hope Fofana gets off the bench and gets a decent amount of time to try and make an impact. Havertz as a 9 is not working. I'm hoping Chilwell has enough to start again as he made a big difference, but I I wouldn't be surprised to see him given more rest.

Kepa

James - Silva - Badiashile - Chilwell

RLC - Enzo

Mount - Felix - Madueke

Havertz

3 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

[SNIP]

I'm hoping Chilwell has enough to start again as he made a big difference, but I I wouldn't be surprised to see him given more rest.

[SNIP]

Apparently the plan was to take him off around 60 minutes on Wednesday, but he got a knock before that (watch Dortmund's goal and Chilwell looks like he's running in treacle whilst signalling to the bench). Not heard anything since regarding that injury, but I'd be more surprised if he started than if he didn't.

Edited by Bob Singleton

1 hour ago, Miguelito07 said:

So James, Silva, Cucurella, Zyech, and PEA are not in the squad tomorrow

No Silva is news to me, but it is being reported that James has been rested and Ziyech/Cuc haven’t travelled either. 

PEA I’m assuming just hasn’t been picked? 

A little concerned that we're now going to have to play Chilwell for 90 minutes with Cucurella not in the squad. Not really an ideal situation given his recent return to action, last thing we need is to push him too hard too soon and watch him break down again. 

No Silva somewhat makes sense, he could use a rest and Koulibaly being back and doing well vs Dortmund should mean he'll retain his spot.

I suppose this will see a backline likely consisting of Chalobah, Koulibaly, Badiashile, and Chilwell. A pretty underdone group really outside of Badiashile.

2 hours ago, Miguelito07 said:

So James, Silva, Cucurella, Zyech, and PEA are not in the squad tomorrow

These 'leaks' have been happening for a while now, handing significant advantages to opponents - There was no mention in GP's press conference of all these players not being in the squad.

Last time I remember it being this bad was towards the end of JM's second stint with us............................................

• Agree 1