Chelsea 0 Aston Villa 2

JaneB

11 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I agree with a lot of what you say, personally I’d also get a holding mid through the door. A tough man that can pass the ball around as well. Strong and fast and someone that attacking players don’t want to play against. A modern day Makelele with size (although such players aren’t really made anymore). Problem is that when I’m looking around I can’t see too many of those players around. I think we’d have to sign someone like City managed with Rodri, someone on the way up but yet to realise his full break-through season. 

Definitely a task easier said than done, that's for sure. But yeah, in theory a bonafide holding player unlocks our possibilities. We can make better use of some of those we have, but it also lets us do a bit more tactically without needing to shuffle the deck so much to try and retain balance. 

A Rodri type would be the ideal candidate, but I'd happily settle for someone a little less athletic in favour of being tactically disciplined, defensively astute, and technically sound in possession.

We just need to get some steel, grit and leadership into the midfield whatever way we can.