Chelsea 0 Aston Villa 2

JaneB

I'm saying this again because I'm so bemused but when you have two fit centre halves on the bench and choose to use two wing backs out of position instead and then play a midfielder also out of position to cover at wing back  before then playing a winger also out of position there again in the second half why does Potter look so flabbergasted that things didn't work out in the post match analysis interview? 

What manner of idiot is he? 

It's bleeding obvious you imbecile. 

Edited by Mark Kelly
  • Agree 1

Sorry...from almost day one I voiced doubts about GP...gut feeling though it may have been initially.

To delve into the 'istory we don't have.

The Doc went down but took the squad,,not a term in use back them...sorted it out...ditched players and moulded a young squad back up and on to better days.

All the better coaches over the years have "moulded" squads to their vision of the game.

GP is moldering this group.

Can anyone with any confidence state they think he can do anything with the expensive squad he has?

Playing Chelsea?...find a way to score and there are points in the bag.

69% possession at home and get beaten by two shots on target?

Don't point a finger at Kepa this time...a Sunday morning effort from Cuckoo...and one that would bring the wrath of the team down on him at that level and a terrific effort from outside the box on target and through a crowded area.

Contrast the similar (usual) efforts from Kova...including a bizzare (ok mishit but) effort that became a ball out to the wing!

Substitutions?.... GP had decide on the changes before the second goal and just carried on without any considereration for the change of focus....again to me bizzare.

I watch with my heart and gut instincts not a good coaching eye but everything seems wrong.

Sorry...As garbled a post match comment from me as GP's tactics for this game.

0-2 to an average side at home.... and no one is really shocked at the result.

• Agree 1

Just got back, had a couple of pints to chill TFO. 

I can’t remember a time when I’ve watched such shapeless dross, GP literally gave f*****g McGinn the whole of midfield and managed to make him look like Lionel Messi. 

Anyone who’s played the game at a decent level can see the players are completely frustrated now.

For the love of God sack this fraud. JT was on the pitch before the game with Di Matteo - we could do a lot worse than those two and right now.

7 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm saying this again because I'm so bemused but when you have two fit centre halves on the bench and choose to use two left backs out of position instead and then play a midfielder also out of position to cover at wing back  before then playing a winger also out of position there again in the second half why does Potter look so flabbergasted that things didn't work out in the post match analysis interview? 

What manner of idiot is he? 

It's bleeding obvious you imbecile. 

Not only that but the whole system doesn't suit anyone in our squad apart from all our centre halfs when they are all fit, as we have so many, today we started with one.

Kovacic and Enzo are completely wasted playing a pivot without a proper CDM. They do not complement each other. At all. 

Then we play a complete miss match of a front three where I assume the idea is to be pretty fluid, which is something I have always liked but is very difficult to implement, especially with this manager. All three looked utterly clueless and had no idea what they were supposed to be doing.

All irrelevant really as we have seen multiple formations this season with countless changes to the starting line up with only one constant. No matter who plays. No matter what formation we use. Everyone plays shit. That in itself tells you everything you could possibly need to know.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, east lower said:

Just got back, had a couple of pints to chill TFO. 

I can’t remember a time when I’ve watched such shapeless dross, GP literally gave f*****g McGinn the whole of midfield and managed to make him look like Lionel Messi. 

Anyone who’s played the game at a decent level can see the players are completely frustrated now.

For the love of God sack this fraud. JT was on the pitch before the game with Di Matteo - we could do a lot worse than those two and right now.

I actually think the players like Potter but that's because he's a nice guy and it's nice to play under a nice guy.
Not enough pressure on them.

I also feel for Potter. Even if he's paid a lot he's a nice guy and it's not fun to be out of your depth at your job.

2 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I actually think the players like Potter but that's because he's a nice guy and it's nice to play under a nice guy.
Not enough pressure on them.

I also feel for Potter. Even if he's paid a lot he's a nice guy and it's not fun to be out of your depth at your job.

That’s not what I saw today, most couldn’t get off the pitch quick enough. No eye contact with Potter, cursory touch of the hand. 

I’m beyond any sympathy, he’s ruining these players and if he had any self-pride he’d have been in the boardroom after the game, resignation submitted. 

3 minutes ago, east lower said:

That’s not what I saw today, most couldn’t get off the pitch quick enough. No eye contact with Potter, cursory touch of the hand. 

I’m beyond any sympathy, he’s ruining these players and if he had any self-pride he’d have been in the boardroom after the game, resignation submitted. 

I'm just basing this on recent quotes from the likes of Havertz etc.

2 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I'm just basing this on recent quotes from the likes of Havertz etc.

Players tow the party line. 

I can’t name a player who’s said I don’t like the manager and he’s clueless. Despite the latter being obvious on so many different occasions. Remember AVB, it was only after he’d gone the truth stated coming out.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, east lower said:

Sorry to ask but can you elaborate on the home crowd response and mood?

1 minute ago, chara said:

Sorry to ask but can you elaborate on the home crowd response and mood?

Booed off at half and full time. Chants of ‘you don’t know what you’re doing’ and a good few joined in with the away fans rendition of ‘sacked in the morning’.

Worse for me was the fact that a majority resigned themselves to defeat as soon as they hit the bar in the first half. 

ST holders are selling their seats in droves to ‘football tourists’ and the atmosphere is shocking. 

Potter and his boss are doing their best to ruin us for years.

Just now, east lower said:

Booed off at half and full time. Chants of ‘you don’t know what you’re doing’ and a good few joined in with the away fans rendition of ‘sacked in the morning’.

Worse for me was the fact that a majority resigned themselves to defeat as soon as they hit the bar in the first half. 

ST holders are selling their seats in droves to ‘football tourists’ and the atmosphere is shocking. 

Potter and his boss are doing their best to ruin us for years.

Thanks for that although I expect it hurt to post!

Ten games is it to go?...and still not at the mythical 40 points safety level.

After game thoughts...I had to recheck the line up at one earlyish stage as following the flow I couldn't pick out RJ.

RLC as a wing back or such?....again...bizzare,

Just now, chara said:

Thanks for that although I expect it hurt to post!

Ten games is it to go?...and still not at the mythical 40 points safety level.

After game thoughts...I had to recheck the line up at one earlyish stage as following the flow I couldn't pick out RJ.

RLC as a wing back or such?....again...bizzare,

And Badiashile, who’s looked class on the bench again. James at right centre back with  RLC in front of him. 

You could have driven two team buses in the gaps between the back three. You knew their goal was coming, albeit not from Cucurella’s massive f**k-up. Amateur night at the theatre I’m afraid.

51 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

It's about time someone at the post match press conference actually started treating him like Robin Day treated John Nott (for those of you old enough to remember) or Paxman treated Michael Howard. Someone really has to hold his feet to the fire and ask him some searching questions and not let up.

"Just what is it that you do at Cobham that has you saying things like 'the lads are working hard' on a Friday lunchtime but results in inept performance after inept performance at the weekend?" might be the first question I'd ask. Followed by "What on earth were you thinking by starting two full 😀backs in a back three whilst having two centre-backs on the bench?" Then I'd point out that, after hinting that the problems were only in the first third and the last third, the middle third wasn't too bright, either!

You'r on form tonight Bob - I've agreed with every word!😄

This season Reece James is a shadow of his former self. He's far too bulked up and seems to have lost the ability to read the game. Mason Mount's form has fallen so far off the cliff he's no longer even in the side. Chalobah seems to have gone to sleep and is likely now to be gone in the summer clear out. So last year's heros in waiting are now a busted flush and it says something for overall squad depth that training must now be so appalling so that RLC becomes a nailed on starter every game. Kudos to the guy but in all honesty he shouldn't be anywhere near the staring eleven.

Brighton must be laughing all the way to European football. Potter and his crew of "coaches" are clearly not of sufficient quality and surely the owners must now see it. The way Potter keeps defending his record by trawling up meaningless statistics makes me wonder if he's actually Droy. If he's got a shred of decency he will resign.