Chelsea 0 Aston Villa 2

JaneB

Probably should be on the GP topic but really where did the dialogue for GP as the next "Young English Great Hope Coach" come from?

I sort of recall that he was doing well mid table with Brighton but no real deep substance there to back the "YEGHC" label.

I watch without the commentary as I do not need to be told what I am watching anymore than anyone on here does.

We all may see incidents from a different perspective but everyone sees the overall picture..from those who have played to those who have not...

JaneB is quick to say she hasn't played but her observations are always valid...as are comments from posters I know have "experience".

Can we all be wrong?

I've had to endure that show 'starstruck' tonight(my wife had the remote I  would have felt guilty if I left her to it).

The thing is Potter reminds me of the people who were trying be like the 'the star' they are pretending to be.

Potter strikes me as a decent guy but it feels as if he has been thrust into the limelight and is starting to look comical.

For you who remember 'stars in your eyes' it was 'for one night only Matthew' - unfortunately we're stuck this guy.

I read the report on the Bayern game.Apparently they were outstanding and they could have won by a lot more.

Oh Thomas Thomas why did we ever doubt you.

Stick a few quid on Bayern to win in europe at 4/1.I think they can beat City with Thomas in charge.

Watch their price plummet to favourites if they get past them.

Just now, Michael Tucker said:

Only if Boehly continues o sit on his hands! What is wrong with Boehly, is he blind, or just stupid?

I suspect, as others have suggested earlier, that because of our current financial situation, he can't sack him just now. We can only hope that there is a 'break clause' at the end of the season that allows us to get rid without a massive financial outlay. Either that or Boehly is the most stubborn man in the history of idiots making idiotic decisions and then doubling down on them.

2 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Only if Boehly continues o sit on his hands! What is wrong with Boehly, is he blind, or just stupid?

Definitely not stupid.I suppose he/they never thought Potter could be so hopeless(like the rest of us).

The frustrating thing is,I think we have a squad that could easily be in the top 3.

The thought of Conte back in charge now is a tad mouthwatering.

Just now, kev61 said:

Definitely not stupid.I suppose he/they never thought Potter could be so hopeless(like the rest of us).

The frustrating thing is,I think we have a squad that could easily be in the top 3.

The thought of Conte back in charge now is a tad mouthwatering.

I actually liked Conte, but I think now is not the right time. Three of his best friends in the footballing world have recently passed away and, while he's always been a prickly character, I think this has affected him greatly and led to his recent 'meltdown'

I think he probably needs a break for now.

1 hour ago, east lower said:

ST holders are selling their seats in droves to ‘football tourists’

Sorry, but I don't care who I piss off with the comment, but that is poor from those Chelsea fans! Really, really poor and smacks of a spoilt, entitled fanbase and gives amunition to fans of other clubs who say we are a fair weather bunch.

It's easy to be a supporter when things are going well, but when  things are as awful as they are at this moment in time, that is when a team/club need their supporters more than ever! 

Genuine question...can anyone...and there are some really good analysts here...tell me what the side set up was meant to produce today?

It was never a "backs to the wall" defensive game and I suspect Silva would have strolled through it but the whole mish mash seemed to rely on individuals finding a bit of magic or inspiration..how many failed corners?..Villa scored I think from their second corner!

Chilly looked a man among boys and the obvious (non)twin threat on the other side was from RLC not the one player who would and should have been marauding down the flank.

Help me anyone?

8 minutes ago, chara said:

Genuine question...can anyone...and there are some really good analysts here...tell me what the side set up was meant to produce today?

It was never a "backs to the wall" defensive game and I suspect Silva would have strolled through it but the whole mish mash seemed to rely on individuals finding a bit of magic or inspiration..how many failed corners?..Villa scored I think from their second corner!

Chilly looked a man among boys and the obvious (non)twin threat on the other side was from RLC not the one player who would and should have been marauding down the flank.

Help me anyone?

I think that with Mudryk playing as the false 9 with both Felix and Havertz as 10s, our most advanced, attacking 'trident'' was quite narrow, so having both Cucurella and James as centre backs able to (notionally) get forward and support Chilwell and Loftus-Cheek was meant to give our attack a cutting edge and offer overloads. Had we converted some of the many chances we created, it might have worked. As it was, it left us exposed to Villa's "absorb the pressure then break" tactics.

23 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Sorry, but I don't care who I piss off with the comment, but that is poor from those Chelsea fans! Really, really poor and smacks of a spoilt, entitled fanbase and gives amunition to fans of other clubs who say we are a fair weather bunch.

It's easy to be a supporter when things are going well, but when  things are as awful as they are at this moment in time, that is when a team/club need their supporters more than ever!

Been a supporter for several decades now, but spending the whole day travelling to SB  to watch a silly bugger mess up a team of great players was more than I could bear. I’ve missed hardly any matches during the last 30 years or so, and tolerated some pretty dire matches during that time, so don’t get your mankini in a twist, @boratsbrother, I’ll be back in - or rather standing in front of - my usual chair on Tuesday, and look forward to seeing you there. Assuming you take in every match. Oh, and @kev61, I foreswore the demon drink tonight - was with a scouser who’d just lost a house sale as well as a match and a Villa supporter  who was most solicitous, and didn’t want to say anything out of turn. Demolishing a cheeky gin now though.

8 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Based on?

Based on the fact they have accrued wealth with their investments.

It's not like they are oil producing terrorists (sorry mods).

Having said that they could be stupid when it comes to soccer.

27 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I suspect, as others have suggested earlier, that because of our current financial situation, he can't sack him just now. We can only hope that there is a 'break clause' at the end of the season that allows us to get rid without a massive financial outlay.

Boehly not only has to compensate Potter, he also has to write off the millions lost in CL revenue over the next season or two. In hindsight it probably would have been cheaper to sack Potter in January and give a new manager a chance to go for a top four position. I doubt we’d be in the appalling mess we’re in now. 

56 minutes ago, chara said:

Help me anyone?

Quite simply if Potter was a conductor in an orchestra the piano player would play like les dawson.

Showing my age there😉

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Based on the fact they have accrued wealth with their investments

A lot have done the same. Doesn't mean that they know what they're doing when running football club, does it?

11 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Having said that they could be stupid when it comes to soccer.

Sorry, but now you're just confused me!